What changes should the Wit One Piece remake make?

Warmmedown

Elite
Especially for those who've read the manga, what changes would you like? Are there changes Toei made that you'd like Wit to undo? Or scenes that you think should have been animated differently?

The only obvious change I can think of is how Zeff loses his leg. Surprisingly the Netflix LA used the manga version, so I'm guessing this anime remake will too.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I've not seen the anime outside of some clips on YT so I can't really compare the two, but the most obvious is to significantly cut down on the filler and time wasting. The anime being over 1000 episodes is far more daunting than a manga being over 1000 chapters. That's an unbelievable time investment. I can't see that many new fans wanting to watch that many episodes but maybe I'm wrong.

That said, they shouldn't cut out all filler. Some of it is necessary for the anime to flow properly and can add to the story.

Warmmedown

Elite
Assuming 20 min episodes, Arabasta is 13 hours in the Toei anime and only 7 hours in the One Pace version. Skypeia is 14 hours, cut to 4 hours in One Pace (wtf. Don't remember being that bothered by it. Post-skip arcs felt way worse). So quite a bit of filler and time-wasting. Some of it definitely fleshes out the character relationships and in Arabasta they met people affected by Crocodile, which helped build him into an even more unlikeable villain.

There's one good filler arc, which is the G-8 arc. It's actually disappointing that it's filler. Some of the other early filler arcs had cool ideas (eg the crew losing their memories of each other, finding kids trapped in a mist for 50 years), but lacklustre endings.

@Sam what do you think? I know you were watching One Piece with your mom (this sounds like an Angry in the Shower/Chad's Rebellious Brother insult, but it's not).

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I think they should cut out some of the filler in the Whitebeard War Saga and especially the time skip. Make Dressrosa less than 100 episodes long too.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Since this is presumably an entirely new production and not just a rebroadcast similar to Kai I'm 99% sure there will be little to none of the filler present in the original series.

Warmmedown

Elite
What was the Whitebeard filler? I liked the whole arc. Or maybe I was just so invested I didn't mind them dragging it out.

They can delete Dressrosa tbh.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Or they can just cut out some of the stuff in the Birdcage portion of Dressrosa since most of it wasn’t even important, regardless of whether it was in the Manga or not.