Could Super Vegeta go SSJ3 if he wanted to?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Or do you think he couldn't do it simply because he never bothered learning how?

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
I think in EoZ he's gotta be able to go Super Saiyan 3. How can he hope to beat Goku without it?

It's really only GT and Super that make us think Vegeta doesn't have it. Vegeta has shown he can do whatever Goku can do and always catches up.

If Vegeta can attain Super Saiyan God on his own, there's no reason he can't have Super Saiyan 3.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
I think it's clear SSJ3 is a special case. I think Vegeta intended to rely on boosting his base power enough to surpass Goku regardless.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
I think it's clear SSJ3 is a special case. I think Vegeta intended to rely on boosting his base power enough to surpass Goku regardless.
More special than Super Saiyan God? Nah. Even the kids managed Super Saiyan 3 in less than a week. It's no big deal, Vegeta should have it without issue.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
More special than Super Saiyan God? Nah. Even the kids managed Super Saiyan 3 in less than a week. It's no big deal, Vegeta should have it without issue.
I think Vegeta wouldn't even if he could. It's just like with Grade 3.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
I think Vegeta wouldn't even if he could. It's just like with Grade 3.

Super Saiyan 3 is a super effective form though, it’s a superior form to Super Saiyan 2. No reason not to learn it unless you are going to Super Saiyan God of course. Grade 3 legit doesn’t work. Super Saiyan 3 works fine.

BedroomBully

Low Class Warrior
There’s the case of SSJ2 Future Trunks
matching SSJ3 Goku with very little charge time in DBS manga(to which Goku relied on SSJG).
so there’s a legit case for SSJ2 being
stronger in some instances w/o the drawbacks.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
There’s the case of SSJ2 Future Trunks
matching SSJ3 Goku with very little charge time in DBS manga(to which Goku relied on SSJG).
so there’s a legit case for SSJ2 being
stronger in some instances w/o the drawbacks.
It's possible Trunks was just suppressed as normal SSJ2 though.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
It's possible Trunks was just suppressed as normal SSJ2 though.

No, he wasn’t suppressed. He had a feeling he could tap into more power and he did. The full extent of Super Saiyan 2 power equals Super Saiyan 3. Trunks is the only one to figure that out.

DBS Manga wise, Super Saiyan 3 is completely useless and Super Saiyan 2 can equal it without the drawbacks as mentioned.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
No, he wasn’t suppressed. He had a feeling he could tap into more power and he did. The full extent of Super Saiyan 2 power equals Super Saiyan 3. Trunks is the only one to figure that out.

DBS Manga wise, Super Saiyan 3 is completely useless and Super Saiyan 2 can equal it without the drawbacks as mentioned.
It was said SSJ2 Trunks initially has a slight edge over SSJ2 Goku and then powered up "nearly as much as Goku in Super Saiyan 3" so SSJ3 Goku had a slight edge over powered-up SSJ2 Trunks. That means Trunks should get less than 4x stronger whether it was a powered-up SSJ2 form or he was suppressed to just over a quarter of his overall power.

If it is a modified SSJ2 it could be the hybrid Saiyan thing like how Gohan supposedly could beat anybody when angry in the Buu Saga.

Might also reflect how Goku Black in the manga had lightning as SSJ1, maybe linked to a darker or more violent mindset.

We know Saiyans can suppress their SSJ forms, and the manga wasn't crystal clear on what Trunks did, so that's why I'm doubtful. If there is additional content about it I'll accept it as a new form.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It's clearly a modified SSJ2. There's no way in hell Trunks can suppress his SSJ2 to roughly 25-30% of its full power to start a fight off, that'd make it weaker than his normal SSJ form.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
If it is a modified SSJ2 it could be the hybrid Saiyan thing like how Gohan supposedly could beat anybody when angry in the Buu Saga.
No, Trunks version of Super Saiyan 2 should be easily replicable. Gohan is a different story, he's a person who can tap into rage to bring out his dormant ability.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
No, Trunks version of Super Saiyan 2 should be easily replicable. Gohan is a different story, he's a person who can tap into rage to bring out his dormant ability.
It's said hybrids have tremendous potential.

Manga Trunks' SSJ2 is probably Toyotaro's interpretation of a bullet point in Toriyama's draft about Trunks getting a power-up like how Toei gave him Super Saiyan Rage.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
It's clearly a modified SSJ2. There's no way in hell Trunks can suppress his SSJ2 to roughly 25-30% of its full power to start a fight off, that'd make it weaker than his normal SSJ form.
Why shouldn't he be able to do that? Goku and Gohan could suppress to base form "ordinary, everyday levels" as Super Saiyans.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Why shouldn't he be able to do that? Goku and Gohan could suppress to base form "ordinary, everyday levels" as Super Saiyans.
Because then why even go SSJ2? Why wouldn't he just turn SSJ?

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I think Trunks doing that was a way for the writers to show the form could be enhanced and explain how Vegeta was so strong vs Beerus. SSJ2 Vegeta is above SSJ3 Goku again in a few chapters.

@Kenshi he wanted to show Goku he had SSJ2.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
Manga Trunks' SSJ2 is probably Toyotaro's interpretation of a bullet point in Toriyama's draft about Trunks getting a power-up like how Toei gave him Super Saiyan Rage.
Are you making the claim no other Saiyan can do this but Trunks?