Dragon Ball Anime Power Levels (going by BoZ scouter numbers)

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Here is my list going by the first scouter readings shown in Z. It's an updated list from one I made back in 2014. I decided to do this as I've recently rewatched the anime.

Pilaf Saga

Goku: 10
- Hungry: 8
-- Great Ape: 100

I see no reason to change anything about the original numbers. Goku being twice as strong as an average human being sounds fine.

Master Roshi: 45
- Max Kamehameha: 90

Roshi probably doubled his power for the Kamehameha used to quell the flames of Fire Mountain.

Yamcha: 8

Yamcha was pretty even with a hungry Goku.

Ox-King: 25

Ox-King had a reputation of being ruthless and pretty strong. Goku didn’t cause a dent in him so I am inclined to believe it. Should still be weaker than Master Roshi by a large margin though.

Monster Carrot: 6

He seemed to be a skilled fighter and especially fast. Ultimately he’s no match for Goku but he should be stronger than an average human being. I think he should also be weaker than Yamcha.

Pilaf: 3

Pilaf is weak, no ifs or buts about it.

Mei: 5

She seems like an average human being to me as she never does any fighting. She’s more of a recon agent than fighter.

Shu: 5

Shu is a fox but he seems somewhat strong. I’d say he levels out with an average human being.

Training and the 21st World Tournament

Goku: 9
- Start of Tournament: 40
-- Tail Regrows: 45
--- Kamehameha: 60
---- Great Ape: 400

Goku without a tail is said to be weaker so his number before training has decreased since the beginning of the adventure. He should still be weaker than Master Roshi after training but when his tail regrows he becomes even with him. His proficiency with the Kamehameha isn’t quite as high as Master Roshi so an increase of roughly 0.4 is fine to me. At the moment he turns Great Ape he should be a bit weaker again so 400 seems like a reasonable power for him there.

Krillin: 8
- Tournament: 37

Krillin is weaker than Goku all the way through training and the tournament. At no point in the series (DB, Z, Super and GT) is he stronger than Goku. He was a good fighter against fodder and then had a good showing against a Master Roshi in disguise who I imagine held back a tiny amount.

Jackie Chun (Master Roshi): 45
- Kamehameha: 60
-- MAX Kamehameha: 90

I’m going of the assumption that Roshi never got a chance (or had the will) to practice for the tournament as he had his hands full training his two pupils. As a result his power is unchanged from before, just added his Kamehameha against Goku as a less effort wave than his max.

Yamcha: 32

Yamcha trained hard for the tournament and despite not having the same benefits as Goku and Krillin I imagine he’s relatively close to them in strength. We didn’t get to see him do much since he was effortlessly disposed of by Jackie Chun.

Nam: 42

I think Nam is a very skilled fighter and gave Goku a good fight. This might be controversially high but I do think he’s the third strongest in the tournament.

Giran: 35

Giran is strong. He’s not much of a technical fighter but his brute force should put him around the toughest competitors in the tournament.

Ranfan: 18

She’s strong enough to hurt a distracted Nam, but otherwise nothing special.

Bacterian: 14

Weakest of the 8 finalists, his main strength is his stench. He’s easily dealt with by Krillin when his comedic relief moment of having no nose comes into effect.

Red Ribbon Army Saga

Goku: 45
- After Muscle Tower: 50
-- Kamehameha Against Tao: 70
--- Post-Korin Training: 100

Goku’s power didn’t change until after he conquered Muscle Tower with the help of Android 8. After that he became a tiny amount stronger until he was defeated by Tao. Climbing Korin’s tower twice (up and down) and chasing Korin around the top of the tower for 3 days increased his strength a lot.

Krillin: 38

I think he has improved a miniscule amount since the tournament as he was seen swimming to do chores.

I don’t think Yamcha has improved at all since the tournament.

Colonel Silver: 20

He’s a skilled fighter and quick enough to catch Goku off-guard. He’s no match for Goku though.

Metallitron: 35

He’s said to be the strongest fighter in Muscle Tower according to Daizenshuu 7. I have no reason to believe anything else and he gave Goku trouble.

Murasaki: 23

Arbitrary number but he does seem skilled when he’s not being comedic relief and goofing around.

General Silver: 25

Should be the strongest human in the tower and considering he’s a General and not a Colonel, he shoud be stronger than Silver too.

Android 8: 85

An arbitrary number because Eighter is not a fighter. We do know he’s stronger than Goku though.

Buyon: Who the hell knows

His power lies in his elastic nature and the way he was defeated (frozen and destroyed) doesn’t tell us anything.

Great Lee (Street Fighter in West City): 12

If he’s the same guy that fought in the preliminaries there’s not much to go on, but I’m happy putting him as weaker than all 8 finalists by virtue of him not qualifying.

Hasky: 30

I was surprised and impressed by her prowess and I think she’s close to Yamcha in power.

General Blue: 35

He’s very strong for this point in the series and gave Krillin a lot of trouble even before using his telekinetic powers. I still think Krillin is marginally stronger since he resorted to using his powers and by extension a fair bit weaker than Goku.

Pirate Robot: 32

Goku and Krillin fought this robot over the course of a few episodes and it surprisingly gave them a lot of trouble.

Arale: Probably infinite

I’m not gonna try to explain Arale given her appearance in Super.

Captain Yellow: 6

Is a soldier in the Red Ribbon Army so should be stronger than the average human, but not by much.

Bora: 35

Bora is strong. He was able to stop a large amount of bullets just bracing his body. The number is arbitrary but I do consider him exceptional.

Mercenary Tao: 70
- Post-Korin Tower Climb: 80

Tao showed up and effortlessly killed Bora and toyed with Goku. He was surprised by Goku’s Kamehameha but tanked it by shielding himself from it. After he climbed Korin Tower he grew a little bit stronger but still not enough to beat a strengthened Goku.

Korin: 150

At the most his power is 150 since Goku has surpassed him during the King Piccolo struggle. He wouldn’t say that then if Goku had surpassed him during their training.

Captain Violet: 8

Didn’t show much but she seems smarter than most of her contemporaries.

Staff Officer Black: 22
- Battle Jacket: 95

Semi-arbitrary number since I don’t believe his boast that it won’t be as easy as before for Goku. I’ll give him a reasonably large number since he has risen to the rank of Staff Officer.

Commander Red: 5

An average human being, of this I am very confident.

Fortuneteller Baba’s Gauntlet & Goku’s 3 Year Adventure

Goku: 100

He’s as strong as he was when he destroyed the Red Ribbon Army.

Krillin: 38

No change in power since he fought General Blue. He was caught off-guard by Fangs.

No change since the tournament.

Fangs: 7

I’ll give him a stronger than an average human being number.

Invisible Man: 10

I don’t think you get more armor when you grow stronger, Krillin hurt Super Saiyan Goku in Z with a rock. Yamcha couldn’t see his opponent so he didn’t know where the punches would come from. I’ll give him double the average human being power because I’m nice.

Bandages: 55

Roshi said Goku of the 21st Tournament wouldn’t beat Bandages so he must be stronger than that. Conversely Roshi was surprised Goku beat Mercenary Tao when he was told 3 years later so my assumption is that Tao would still be stronger than Bandages.

Spike The Devil: 65

Likewise with Roshi’s surprise at beating Tao I don’t think Spike is stronger than him. He was a bit of a joke to Goku.

Grandpa Gohan: 90

By far the strongest of Baba’s fighters and gave Goku an awesome match. Goku was still stronger and Gohan had to resort to grabbing Goku’s tail to ’win’. When the tail came off he conceded indicating he doesn’t think he’d win even with a no tail-weakened Goku.

Terror and Plague: 7

Must be stronger than the average human being since Chao looked for someone strong outside her village.

Sky Dragon: 92

An very strong opponent to Goku.

Rising Dragon: 55

Arbitrary number but he was quick enough to cause Goku trouble when the latter had promised not to fight any of them outside the King’s tournament. He was also Sky Dragon’s brother so he was probably taught a thing or two.

Master Chin: 90

When he’s not sick he’s probably pretty strong. The fight he was scheduled to have with Sky Dragon was expected to be pretty even.

Gola: 65

Melee said Gola was no push-over and he proved it against Goku.

Melee: 70

Melee seemed to have superiority over Gola to me so she’s probably a bit stronger than him.

Shula: 125

Goku said Shula was stronger than him and there’s no reason to doubt him.

The 22nd World Tournament

Goku: 155
- Holding Back: 131

Goku had improved a lot and was very proficient in holding back. 131 is an averaged number since I think he held back to various degrees against several opponents.

Tenshinhan: 155
- Preliminaries and Against Yamcha: 125
-- Against Jackie Chun: 140
--- Kikoho: 300?

Tenshinhan showed himself to be able to control his power almost as well as Goku. He probably did just enough to overpower Yamcha and then enough to make Roshi step down. He was pretty even with Goku in the final. The Kikoho’s power could be anything but I’m willing to put it down to double his normal power (he was probably a bit weakened after the fight with Goku)

Krillin: 121

He has improved too over the 3 years, although still lagging behind Goku.

Yamcha: 120

Krillin said Yamcha was about as strong as himself.

Jackie Chun (Master Roshi): 139

The number is official scouter readings from Z, Roshi retired after this tournament and did not keep up his training.

Chiaotzu: 116

He’s comparable to the Turtle School students aside from Goku.

Chappa: 90

Chappa is a strong and revered fighter but against Goku he was a bit of a joke.

Nam: 70

Nam has improved since the last tournament and I think he’d want to be at least stronger than Goku and Jackie Chun from that tournament by a large margin. I think he’s disciplined enough to improve a lot. Despite this he will still be no match for any of the main characters.

Man-Wolf: 50

I am a firm believer that Man-Wolf trained hard enough to be comparable to the two finalists from the last tournament considering he holds a grudge against Jackie Chun personally.

Pamputto: 55

He’s no ordinary fighter and he was complimented by Roshi. No match for Goku though.

Master Shen: 120

I’m a bit torn on this because Shen admits Tao was always more gifted than him. However he does threaten to kill Chiaotzu if he doesn’t follow his command and Roshi does resort to blasting him away with a Kamehameha Wave. Consider me perplexed by this. Regardless he should be weaker than Roshi.

King Piccolo Saga

Goku: 240
- Tired: 130
-- Restored Pre-Divine Water: 160
--- Enraged Against Tambourine: 165

Goku gained a bit of power due to being defeated by Tambourine and I think he had another boost on top of that because of his anger. After drinking the Divine Water his power is unlocked to it’s maximum potential and he’s even with King Piccolo.

King Piccolo: 240
- Old, Unprepared: 150
-- Old, Most Power Shown: 180
--- Youth Restored, Rested: 200
---- More Effort against Goku: 215

We see a lot of King Piccolo’s powers and there’s no doubt in my mind that any power he shows after getting his youth back is stronger than what he showed when old. He underestimated Goku at first and was wholly unprepared for Goku’s speed. After that he powered up enough to out-match Goku. He also didn’t use his full power right away after Goku returned stronger, but ultimately they are even in power and Goku’s resolve was enough to win in the end.

Tenshinhan: 165

He improved his strength a bit when he practiced the Evil Containment Wave.

Tambourine: 150

Strong enough to deal with anyone barring Goku, Ten and Yajirobe in my opinion.

Yaijirobe: 155

He’s strong, resilient and quick. I believe he could beat Tambourine in a fight.

Cymbal: 135

He’s said to be weaker than Tambourine by King Piccolo but should still be stronger than the martial artists barring Goku, Ten and potentially Roshi.

Giran: 100

Obviously the anime version of Giran and he has improved a lot. He tanked a bunch of Tambourine’s attacks though I think Tambourine was toying.

King’s Guard: 9

Stronger than the average human being. Arbitrary number between 6 and 9, decided to be generous.

Korin: 150

His power has not changed in 3 years.

Drum: 175

I was not massively impressed by him, I thought Tenshinhan gave him a fair fight. Despite this he should be stronger than Tenshinhan.

Mr. Popo: 275

Mr. Popo effortlessly dodged Goku’s attacks and was largely unimpressed by the boy.

Kami: 320

Kami is way stronger than Mr. Popo by the caretaker’s own admission.

The 23rd World Tournament

Goku: 380
- Weighted Clothing: 245
-- Holding Back w/o Weights: 290

Goku’s unweighted power level BoZ was 416. I am being generous when I decrease his power by only 36 considering he has done very little training between the tournament and Raditz’ arrival. With his weighted clothing he was comparable to Tenshinhan in power minus the speed. He still held back during the remainder of the fight but increased it to near full from the very beginning of the fight against Piccolo.

Piccolo: 380
- Holding Back against Krillin: 220
-- Holding Back against Kami: 320

Piccolo’s unweighted power level BoZ was 408. He admitted he hadn’t been training that hard as he had focused on developing a new technique (Special Beam Cannon). Again a bit generous lowering the number by that amount but fairer than Goku’s. He held back enough against Kami to make it an even fight for as long as it lasted. He had to be using less power before then.

Krillin: 204

The number seems fair as his BoZ power level was 206. I imagine he still kept up his training and improved a very tiny amount.

Tenshinhan: 248

BoZ power level was 250 and I imagine he improved a little bit in a few years. It’s a bit tricky since Tenshinhan seems like a very dedicated practitioner of martial arts. I feel that he should be stronger than Goku and King Piccolo from 3 years before.

Yamcha: 177

Giving him his BoZ power level scouter number during this tournament seems fine since he seems to have given up martial arts to focus on baseball in the next few years.

Chi-Chi: 155

Arbitrary number but must be weaker than Yamcha since she couldn’t keep up with the speeds of Goku and Ten. Figured she was fairly close since she flustered Goku during their fight.

Mercenary Tao: 170

Stronger than Chiaotzu for sure but much weaker than Tenshinhan. I’m giving him this number since Krillin and Yamcha were impressed with his speed and Tenshinhan’s dodges.

Kami: 320

Hasn’t changed in power in the last 3 years. He blocked a punch from Piccolo so the latter must have been weakened a fair amount (at same pace as Goku) during the fight.

Chiaotzu: 145

I feel like he should be comparable to his peers but for some reason he was easily beaten by Mercenary Tao and he claims he held back. Plot-device.

Chappa: 160

Wouldn’t enter if he didn’t think he was stronger than Goku from the previous tournament. By extension I think he trained hard enough to be stronger than Tambourine.

Yajirobe: 170

He probably trained a little bit for the tournament.

Last edited:

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
Blue > Pirate Robot > Kuririn

Chappa is likely stronger than Baba Goku since everyone expected a presumably stronger Goku to have his hands full with him

23rd Chi-Chi should be stronger than Chappa. She did way better against Goku.

Last edited:

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I think you have Yamcha a little too strong in the 21st. Chun beat him by merely flicking his wrist from a distance.

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
I think you have Yamcha a little too strong in the 21st. Chun beat him by merely flicking his wrist from a distance.
I agree and Silver should likely be stronger since I don't see Yamcha catching Goku offguard judging by how casually a tooling Chun was dodging his attacks.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yup. In non Viz versions of the manga, most people have Goku saying he has to keep his guard up around Silver. I believe the anime had the same line. Silver should be several levels ahead of the Wolf Fang Fist.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Yamcha used to be cocky and he underestimated Chun. A power difference of 13-15 is good enough for me.

Blue > Pirate Robot > Kuririn

Chappa is likely stronger than Baba Goku since everyone expected a presumably stronger Goku to have his hands full with him

23rd Chi-Chi should be stronger than Chappa. She did way better against Goku.

I don't agree Blue is more skilled than Krillin. I am willing to put the Robot above both but for me Krillin remains a tiny bit stronger than Blue.

I am also willing to change Chappa's number, but I am not giving Chi-Chi a larger number.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
He was, yes, though he seemed to be pretty level headed and serious when the match began.

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 10-56-36 VIZ Read a Free Preview of Dragon Ball, Vol 4.png

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
He had never encountered a Kiai before so it came as surprise to him. He never expected Chun to knock him out of the ring without touching him.

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
Yamcha used to be cocky and he underestimated Chun. A power difference of 13-15 is good enough for me.

I don't agree Blue is more skilled than Krillin. I am willing to put the Robot above both but for me Krillin remains a tiny bit stronger than Blue.

I am also willing to change Chappa's number, but I am not giving Chi-Chi a larger number.
If anything, I'd say the opposite, Kuririn was the better fighter while Blue was stronger. Kuririn is a trained martial artist while Blue just came off as a generic strong guy. Blue dominated the majority of the fight but Kuririn managed to make him bleed by tricking him with an Afterimage.