Psycho Rangers Run the Gauntlet

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
latest_cb_20071128181014.jpg

The Psycho Rangers from Power Rangers In Space (because Lost Galaxy nerfed them IMO) take on a gauntlet of various Power Ranger heroes and villains. How far do they get?

1. Divatox
2. Magna Defender
3. Diabolico
4. Thunder Rangers
5. A-Squad Rangers
6. Shadow Ranger
7. Astronema (post-reconfiguration/Red Hair)
8. Green Ranger (MMPR) & White Ranger (MMPR) & Gold Ranger (Jason)
9. Zen-Aku
10. Mesogog (post-Anton Mercer)
11. Emperor Gruumm & Morgana
12. Ransik
13. Mesogog (Mesomonster)
14. Dai Shi (Phantom Beast King)

The gauntlet isn't necessarily in order of strongest to weakest, since that order is somewhat subjective and it's difficult to compare Ranger heroes/villains season to season. :elmo

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
It's been close to twenty-years, man, so hang with me. But didn't the original Green Ranger give the whole team a run for their money? Just wondering, because if so, he can probably handle the a good portion of the Psycho rangers.

I remember something about his powers running out when a candle flame ran low, but where exactly that fits escapes me...

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Skyrunner said:
It's been close to twenty-years, man, so hang with me. But didn't the original Green Ranger give the whole team a run for their money? Just wondering, because if so, he can probably handle the a good portion of the Psycho rangers.

I remember something about his powers running out when a candle flame ran low, but where exactly that fits escapes me...
When he was evil, the Green Ranger did handily defeat all of the Rangers except for Jason, who was his near equal (in and out of Ranger form) and defeated him on one occasion (the occasion that turned him good). He was a monster, as all Sixth Rangers tend to be at first.

The Green Candle was apparently what fueled the Green Ranger's powers. The more it died down, the weaker he became, to the point where he was having trouble with Putties. When it burnt out, that was sadly it for him, at least in MMPR.

Green Ranger (evil) >= Green Ranger (good) >/= Red Ranger >>/> Other Mighty Morphin Rangers

At full strength, I really doubt the Green Ranger on his own could manage much against the might of the Psycho Rangers. The group was magnificently strong and even more sinister than the Green Ranger while he was evil, though they had a sort of childish nature to it that he didn't have. Anyway, I'd even go as far as to say Psycho Red on his own could tango with the Green Ranger, as he was effortlessly schooling the whole In Space squad by himself at one point.

The Psychos displayed the ability to teleport, phase through attacks, create mini tornadoes with their bodies, summon "Psycho Lightning" (electricity), shoot Kamehamehas with that lightning (which Green Ranger had a similar ability but only with the Sword of Darkness IIRC), turn into light and attack their enemies that way, run at incredible speeds without seemingly breaking a sweat, and drain the power of an enemy by grabbing their head, which also served as a way to learn all of that enemy's strategies. I'm sure there are some abilities I missed, but that's the gist of them, and I don't think the Green Ranger could keep up with that. A single Psycho would be tough to handle, let alone five.

Green Ranger can't grow giant or call upon the Dragon Zord, just as the Psychos can't transform into their true monster forms or grow giant, so it'd be down to skill and abilities. The Green Ranger alone would no doubt have more skill than any individual Psycho Ranger, and in a powerless hand-to-hand fight, he'd win hands down, but with abilities included, there's only a small chance of him winning. Almost nonexistent small.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
I only watched MMPR, so my knowledge here is limited.

Green Ranger was my favorite ranger hands down. I hated Jason, mostly because of the rivalry between them. Pissed my off to no end that the Red Ranger got the Dragon Coin.

A couple things. Do you think Green Ranger >>> White Ranger, or the other way around? I suspect Green Ranger, when his powers aren't draining, to be slightly superior, and after doing a little wiki search, this may be hinted at but I can't comfirm.

But, the Dragon Dagger does seem to be a better weapon than any of the weapons held by the original rangers, so even without Dragonzord or growing big, that makes him formidable.

But, teaming him up with the White Ranger, and Jason as the Gold Ranger (dat fucker), I don’t see anybody getting past that trio, especially if Gold Ranger is anywhere near the former Red Rangers abilities.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Skyrunner said:
I only watched MMPR, so my knowledge here is limited.

Green Ranger was my favorite ranger hands down. I hated Jason, mostly because of the rivalry between them. Pissed my off to no end that the Red Ranger got the Dragon Coin.

A couple things. Do you think Green Ranger >>> White Ranger, or the other way around? I suspect Green Ranger, when his powers aren't draining, to be slightly superior, and after doing a little wiki search, this may be hinted at but I can't comfirm.

But, the Dragon Dagger does seem to be a better weapon than any of the weapons held by the original rangers, so even without Dragonzord or growing big, that makes him formidable.

But, teaming him up with the White Ranger, and Jason as the Gold Ranger (dat fucker), I don’t see anybody getting past that trio, especially if Gold Ranger is anywhere near the former Red Rangers abilities.
The Green and White Ranger should be relatively even. I'm sure when the writers brought him in, White was supposed to be stronger because he was the new big thing, but in the end Green has become way more powerful so it appears White has been shafted.

Gold Ranger should be much stronger than Green and White. Zordon stated the Zeo Rangers were stronger than the Mighty Morphin Rangers, and the Gold Ranger was clearly stronger than the Zeos.

Gold > Zeo > White >/< Green

It's sad to think that MMPR is probably the weakest out of the first three continuous seasons (MMPR -> Zeo -> Turbo). That's not to say a Zeo Ranger would always beat a Mighty Morphin Ranger, because I'm pretty certain most of the Mighty Morphin cast were better fighters than the Zeo/Turbo casts.

It's also why it's hard to judge seasons because even though Mighty Morphin was the first, and stated to be weaker than Zeo at least, everybody still regards Tommy as the "legendary Power Ranger" and supremely respects him, which would be sort of odd if by the time they got to Ninja Storm and those later Disney seasons, one of them could take Tommy down with ease.