Shanks power speculation

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
How powerful do you think Shanks is? Could he possibly be a fruit user? The first chapter would go against this due to him swimming, but that was over 10 years ago.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Obviously high tier. I consider him weaker than Mihawk, though.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I still doubt he's a fruit user. It'd feel kinda cheap if he was, imo. Based on the first chap I don't think anyone on his crew was a fruit user then, and probably still isn't.

His Haki must be very powerful, given his one feat on Marineford. Close to Old Whitebeard at the very least.

Not too many strength statements on him. For what it's worth, Oda said he'd have downed all 100,000 enemies on Fishman Island with his Haki (Luffy did 50,000), but I guess that goes without saying.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
As a swordsman he's weaker than Mihawk. He could have other tricks.

Edit: oops

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Isn't he only weaker than Mihawk with one arm?

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
He'd probably have been known as the best swordsman then, but iirc we've never heard anything like that.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
o.

I think that was something that I read on the wiki.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Possibly. Fans sometimes consider Shanks stronger because he's a Yonko as opposed to Mihawk who's a Shichibukai. I disagree with that logic.

Mihawk is considered the strongest swordsman. That is an uncontradicted statement.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I agree that their positions are irrelevant (why wouldn't they be), I'm just saying it's a bit early to say he's really stronger between the two overall. Does that mean he could've fought Whitebeard on par? At Marineford, we saw lesser pirates hold their own against Mihawk as well.

But yeah, as far as swordplay goes, Mihawk would win.

Alex Boss

High Class Warrior
I think Shanks is stronger than Mihawk. The Yonko title and his Haki are rivalling old WB.

Itachi

Low Class Warrior
Yonkou are essentially composed of the 4 strongest people on Earth, so it's likely that Shanks > Mihawk even if by a little.

Epicnessbeyond

Mid Class Warrior
I think they are about equals with like a Ace-Sabo win-lose streak lik Shanks with 26 wins and Mihawk with 24

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Feats and statements show that Shanks rivals Old Whitebeard, so definitely top tier.
As for the Shanks VS Mihawk debate, I'd argue that Shanks may have gotten far stronger in that decade between losing his arm and the pre-timeskip. Jozu withstanding Mihawk's attack suggests there's not a large gap between him and the WB Commanders. His attack is also suggested to be FP due to him wanting to gauge the difference between Whitebeard and himself. Furthermore, we have Shanks implying he considered Teach more of a threat in combat than Mihawk during his conversation with Whitebeard, yet Teach was still a lot weaker than Akainu. Then again, in an SBS question in volume 74 where Oda was mentioning a few of the strongest characters such as Whitebeard and Shanks, he mentioned Mihawk, yet not the Admirals, so it could be assumed there are some secret reserves he's yet to show.

Epicnessbeyond

Mid Class Warrior
Captain Cadaver said:
Feats and statements show that Shanks rivals Old Whitebeard, so definitely top tier.
As for the Shanks VS Mihawk debate, I'd argue that Shanks may have gotten far stronger in that decade between losing his arm and the pre-timeskip. Jozu withstanding Mihawk's attack suggests there's not a large gap between him and the WB Commanders. His attack is also suggested to be FP due to him wanting to gauge the difference between Whitebeard and himself. Furthermore, we have Shanks implying he considered Teach more of a threat in combat than Mihawk during his conversation with Whitebeard, yet Teach was still a lot weaker than Akainu. Then again, in an SBS question in volume 74 where Oda was mentioning a few of the strongest characters such as Whitebeard and Shanks, he mentioned Mihawk, yet not the Admirals, so it could be assumed there are some secret reserves he's yet to show.
This :clap

Itachi

Low Class Warrior
Captain Cadaver said:
I'd like to add Oda also mentioned that Akainu has the potential to be the pirate king effortlessly. So wouldn't really throw the admirals out of the mix.

Epicnessbeyond

Mid Class Warrior
Itachi said:
Captain Cadaver said:
I'd like to add Oda also mentioned that Akainu has the potential to be the pirate king effortlessly. So wouldn't really throw the admirals out of the mix.
Really in which SBS did he mention that because I own all 4 main volumes of Marineford and I never saw it. Was it in a later one.

Itachi

Low Class Warrior
What's SBS?

"When creating a protagonist, it is important not to make him too strong.
For example, if Akainu becomes the protagonist, he is so strong that he can put an end to ONE PIECE within a year."

ZDxEUBe.jpg

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
SBS is a Q&A thing Oda does in some of his chapters. Interesting info in there. I tend to not read it, but two things I recall off the top of my head:

- If Crocodile's bounty wasn't removed then at Alabasta it'd be minimum 162 million.
- If Enel had a bounty it'd be minimum 500 million. EDIT: Not "minimum," but "it could be as high as."