SSJ watches Yugioh

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'm around episode 140 right now, I'm watching it sporadically. Surprisingly the show isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Gin

High Class Warrior
Haven't watched Yugioh in an eternity. Though it was a poppin ass childhood show for me. :D

The original and GX were awesome imo, i havent watched 5Ds or above, nor do i want to

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Is Yugi and the crew still in GX?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I watched the original subbed, although I skipped most of the virtual world and dragon filler arcs. It isn't that bad if you turn your brain off to the concept of winning card games to govern destiny, although animation near the end becomes extremely sub-par.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Super Saiyan said:
Haven't watched most of GX, but Yugi and his grandpa are still alive IIRC. So is Seto Kaiba, though no one knows of his brother or the rest of Yugi's friends.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yeah, I skipped the filler as well. It was pretty fucking bad, at least the first few episodes of it. Like why the hell did they need to redirect the aircraft from the Battle City Finals to that other bullshit, nobody cares about that sidestory.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The virtual world filler becomes only watchable after they beat the 5 old guys I think... still predictable as hell and largely pointless though. They only put it in because the battle city finals weren't finished yet in the manga.

Gin

High Class Warrior
Super Saiyan said:
Yugi yes. But VERY RARELY <div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">and so is Kaiba and Yugi's grandpa. The Paradox Brothers also appear in the begininng of the series.</div> Joey, Tea, and Tristan don't appear.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Yugi appears in the first and last episode to encounter Jaden. He's shown in a S1 two-parter ("King of Copycats") when someone steals his deck (sans God Cards) and uses it to fight Jaden, but only as a silhouette figure; he's not actually in the episode, and Jaden beats the guy using his deck.

Kaiba makes about two actual appearances during the time Chazz has to duel his brothers for some reason I forgot. He just says a few things like a boss and that's it. Kaibaman appears in the Spirit Monster World and whoops Jaden's ass, though.

Pegasus shows up for a few episodes during some kind of school tournament as an ambassador or whatever. One of his employees steals a copy of The Winged Dragon of Ra and we could've gotten a Pegasus vs Franz/WDoR duel, but Jaden had to steal the spotlight and give us one of the gayest episodes ever. They made Ra cry. I like to pretend this episode never happened because of that and the fact that Jaden beat the strongest card in the game.

Joey is mentioned by Pegasus as one of the best duelists in the world (I think third after Yugi and Kaiba), but he's never shown. Neither is anyone else from the protagonist side.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
That makes me sad. I would've considered watching GX had it been a continuation. Although I don;t know what happens in the end of Yugioh yet.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I think the writers (or Jaden) forgot about the time he fought the Ra copy as well, since he basically acted like he never dueled against a God Card before until Yami Yugi used it against him. Could be because the card was a counterfeit, but whatever.

Doctor Havoc

High Class Warrior
Jaden I found pretty lame can't remember the 5ds protagonist
But he was like yami so the series wasn't bad imo

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
I didn't mind Jaden during the first season. He got a bit annoying in the second. I only watched an episode or so from the third season and didn't bother with the fourth since it was never dubbed and I'm not so inclined to watch the subbed version.

But the problem with Jaden pre-S4 (or it might be sometime in S3, but definitely S4 from what I've heard from fans) is that he's a complete Bobby Sue. There's nothing wrong with him. He hogs the spotlight and robs the audience of awesome hypothetical duels (such as seeing Pegasus throw down for the first time since Duelist Kingdom not counting POL), wins 98% of the duels he's in (ties 1.5% and loses 0.5%), is always chipper and positive about every situation regardless of how dire it is unlike every normal person, never shows much weakness physically or mentally, and is just overall boring. But most of all, I just hated his spotlight hogging. I really got pumped when Pegasus whipped out a Duel Disk and prepared to face Franz for the return of Ra, but no, Jaden had to jump in and deny me of seeing that. I wanted to see other characters face the villains, but no, Jaden had to – or at least he had to be the one to beat them. It just got frustrating because as plot-protected as Yugi was, they still made it seem like he was going to lose at times. I never got that feeling with Jaden because of his derpy "I'll never give up, I'll find a way to beat your unbeatable monster that nobody else could ever hope to beat" personality, and the fact that he really did win pretty much any duel regardless of what he was up against. All three Sacred Beasts? Not a problem. The Winged Dragon of Ra with protection backing it? Hah. Yugi's deck? "It's just his cards, not really Yugi." Kaibaman? Holy shit, he lost that one. Etc.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Yeah, I never watched much of GX but I found Jaden's unstoppable winning streak to be detrimental as well. At least the main villains like Pegasus, Marik and Bakura had Yugi by the ropes and one of them actually beat him once.

Dragon15

The manga is better. I read the beginning until around vol 6 after the duel between yugi And kaiba. This part is good because It is not only about cards.
And I read the end too. From around vol 28 until the end. I read the end because I wanted to know What happened after the fight between bakura And Marik.
The manga is darker than the anime.

Son Gokū

High Class Warrior
Can't take the show seriously without watching the uncut, subbed version. :/
Even so, a few seasons of the original, GX, and ALL of ZeXal are cringe-worthy without question. (Sorry ZeXal fans)
5D's is easily the best, and probably always will be. (No offense to nostalgic DM fans)

Son Gokū

High Class Warrior
You guys like Yugioh?
Click the link in my Sig then. XD

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
I couldn't get into 5Ds. Jack and Yusei seemed like ripe copies of Kaiba and Yugi to me, so I stopped caring, and I hated the whole "card fights on motorcycles" concept.

By the way, I dig your DBZ YGO cards. There's a lot to choose from. I might actually ask to use some for my YGO fic for a character who uses DBZ-themed cards...