Yu-Gi-Oh! Animeverse

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
I've always wondered about the YGO's universe and how radically different it is from ours in terms of the game. Obviously some of the general rules are different (such as summoning monsters in face-up defense mode), but the game overall plays almost as if it's a different game. I'm not good at explaining anything, so I'll try to jot down some points and maybe, hopefully, you guys will somewhat understand what I'm trying to say.

• There are only three Blue-Eyes White Dragon cards on the entire planet, and one person (Kaiba) owns all three.
  • On that note, it doesn't seem like some cards get reprinted at all. Case in point: Blue-Eyes White Dragon, the Egyptian God Cards.
  • There are so many overpowered cards yet we don't see them everywhere like in real life. There are obviously more copies of cards like Crush Card Virus (we see a copy in the Orichalcos arc), but Kaiba is the only person we ever see use it, despite how incredibly broken it is. The same goes for cards like Harpie's Feather Duster (though that obviously fits Mai's "theme" better, so it's more understandable nobody else would use it often), Mirror Force, Soul Exchange, etc.
  • Card destruction is rare. I can only remember Yugi using Mystical Space Typhoon and Dust Tornado about once each through 100+ episodes. Do you know how many times characters could have ended duels if they'd simply MST'd their opponent's "impossible to beat" back row card? Probably 80%+ of the duels. This also goes for things like Dark Hole or Raigeki.
  • There is no "net decking," meaning everybody seems to have their own style and theme. You don't see 500 kids at a tournament with a copy of Yugi's deck just because he won Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. In that regard, it appears duelists in general are happier and more accepting than what we've got.
  • Rarity seems to be how available the card actually is, and not by any sort of aesthetic "ghost rare" or "parallel rare" bullshit. If a card is said to be rare, it's rare.
  • The most predictable duelists are the best. Kaiba will summon his Blue-Eyes White Dragon whenever and as soon as he can. Yugi will always summon his Dark Magician or Dark Magician Girl. Joey will always play his Dice cards. Marik will always summon his Winged Dragon of Ra. Yet nobody makes strategies specifically to counter them. Nobody makes anti-BEWD decks, or anti-DM decks, or anti-SS decks. This kind of goes with the point above about no net decking, as in everyone does their own thing and if they lose, they lose; nobody appears to care about making decks specifically to beat someone else (other than perhaps Lumis & Umbra's counter to Yugi & Kaiba summoning the Gods).
  • Industrial Illusions (the Konami of their world) seems to just make any and all cards. Like, some of the cards they make are complete bullshit and make you wonder why or how that card ever made it past the conceptual phase. And with no ban lists – at least not until GX, which we're not counting here – you never know what someone will pull on you, unless it's a predictable character like Kaiba. You might come across some guy who has a card that forces you to not draw or play any cards at all for the rest of the duel, and that would be entirely possible somehow, whereas in our world things like that are at least somewhat regulated.
  • Duels are only played with 4,000 Life Points, yet they last longer than real life duels with 8,000 Life Points. Rarely do characters bust out OTK/FTKs, and this sort of piggybacks off the lack of back row destruction.

I know it's all to merchandise the cards and create dramatic effect during the duels, but still. I'm too tired to think of more right now.

Doctor Havoc

High Class Warrior
Amount of cards may be another ?
We go for a trim 40 card build whereas anime goes for a heftier 50 or 60 build i think

There's also less tech cards in anime they're usually arctype specific and not much else, while we will tr and put anything in our decks to make it work

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Havoc_Wreaker said:
Amount of cards may be another ?
We go for a trim 40 card build whereas anime goes for a heftier 50 or 60 build i think

There's also less tech cards in anime they're usually arctype specific and not much else, while we will tr and put anything in our decks to make it work
You may have a point there about the card amount. When they were deciding the BC finals, they had to make exactly 40-card decks, which seems redundant to say if the characters had already been doing that, so it appears some had 40+ cards.

And yeah, I noticed that too. It's not like the cards aren't out there. We've seen MST, Dark Hole, Trap Hole, and others, but the characters prefer to stick to their own styles rather than use techs. I kind of wish our world was more like that.

Coos

I did not remember a ban list in GX... But the rulings with some cards were different too, making them or useless or broken, useing the "Heart of the Card" skill let you draw what you needed when you needed, Flame Swordsman was not a fusion monster... Some effects actually triggered chains they don't in the real world version of the game...

I still wish there was a rule guide regarding the Noah Arc Deck Master deal. That sounded fun.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Envoy Black Luster Soldier was banned in GX or summin IIRC. I only vaguely remember because that Yugi copycat used it and that's one of the few GX episodes I actually watched, and it was supposedly a regulated card.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
There were ban lists for tournaments, at least. That was revealed during the copycat episode when it was said that Black Luster Soldier Envoy of the Beginning was banned for being such a broken card (and Chaos Emperor Dragon would've been too if it wasn't so rare). Later in GX they started adhering to the real life ban lists, which is why characters stopped using Pot of Greed and shit, at least to such an extent as every single duel.

Coos

Wow... I'm not sure if I'm more surprised about me forgetting or skipping that GX presented a banlist in the anime, or the fact the anime HAD a banlist! I almost feel obligued to pay more atention to it now while watching teh current Yugioh anime... When I reach it... I have to finish Zexal first...

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
I'm surprised you even made it through one episode of Zexal.

Coos

I have faith on the main character chocking or dying and let someone else take his place. But in all honesty, it is as bad as one would expect, the Numbers and Astral is what keeps me from breaking the 4th wall and chocking the little fucker with his magical necklace. But yeah, I have blind stupid faith it will get better. REALLY blind and stupid faith.