One Piece Discussion

Future Warrior

Elite
The main story is plenty fine on storytelling. However certain plot points only happen in the between chapters. We've been waiting "how" many chapters to find out what happened with Sabo at this point?

Wano specifically, I have to disagree.

I mean, how can you think it’s fine? Big Mom becoming a comic relief character, many side characters (9 scabbards) being completely irrelevant, unresolved plot threads, lackluster fights, no real tension, and an arc that feels very rushed despite being 150 chapters long.

Fair enough if you like all of that, I guess. I envy people who can still enjoy OP since it’s been my no. 1 for a long time.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Plus Odachi says he'll ideally end OP in 3 years which tells me it's going down the Fire Punch/Naruto/Bleach route fast.

Future Warrior

Elite
Plus Odachi says he'll ideally end OP in 3 years which tells me it's going down the Fire Punch/Naruto/Bleach route fast.
He's burnt out from being a mangaka and he barely gets to see his family at all. He created a story so ambitious not even he could keep up with it. The story from here on will be at a faster pace than ever before, and probably not in a good way. Disappointing for us, but it is what it is. He's human at the end of the day.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
He's burnt out from being a mangaka and he barely gets to see his family at all. He created a story so ambitious not even he could keep up with it. The story from here on will be at a faster pace than ever before, and probably not in a good way. Disappointing for us, but it is what it is. He's human at the end of the day.
He should just switch contracts to one that lets him work at a biweekly schedule or something

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Then it will take him another decade to complete, which he may not want.
10 years of moderate strain after being hospitalized from overworking already >> developing serious health problems from sleep deprivation and constant sitting for 25+ years and counting

Future Warrior

Elite
Again, Oda probably wants to finish it as soon as possible. Also, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to legal issues and contracts but the One Piece property technically belongs to Weekly Shonen Jump, right? I don't think he can just decide to switch to a new publisher.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Again, Oda probably wants to finish it as soon as possible. Also, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to legal issues and contracts but the One Piece property technically belongs to Weekly Shonen Jump, right? I don't think he can just decide to switch to a new publisher.
The rights to the franchise belong to Oda's studio first and foremost. Similarly, Youn In-Wan and Yang Gyeong-Il were the copyrights holders of Shin Angyo Onshi (known as Blade of the Phantom Master when its movie was dubbed in the West). Shueisha and Toei Animation merely own the rights to distribute copies of the series and the anime episodes. If Oda wanted to end the series tomorrow, he has every right. He's just dissuaded from doing so due to how much investment he's put in the series already, and how many animators and merchandise producers would be out of a job for a while, similar to how Toriyama tried to end the series 3 times prior to Cell and Boo but got forced to extend the series due to market demands.

Also, other artists have moved magazines or even publishers. Think Araki with JJBA Part 7, or the authors of series such as City Hunter and SlamDunk/Vagabond/REAL.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Y'all are crazy if you think One Piece will actually end in three years. Five at least.

Anyway new chapter is out. Shanks flexes, Road Poneglyph got. I really loved that Luffy and the others could have stepped in but chose not to.

I mean, how can you think it’s fine? Big Mom becoming a comic relief character, many side characters (9 scabbards) being completely irrelevant, unresolved plot threads, lackluster fights, no real tension, and an arc that feels very rushed despite being 150 chapters long

Big Mom was plenty terrifying when she fought.

The Scabbards got there moments in, but they were never going to be top players fighting Kaido? Like who even expected that? What were the unresolved plot threads?

Other than the final fight between Kaido and gear 5th luffy I thought the fights were fine. Some were shorter than they needed to be but One piece fights have been shorter for a long time now.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
This is one thing I dislike. We didn't see Shanks acting for hundreds of chapters and God knows how many years. How are we supposed to care for a character we only see from years to years?

Future Warrior

Elite
Big Mom was plenty terrifying when she fought.

Bro....

DyTqwYOXQAA0HzZ.jpg
7c110e31fa4d64079c10cde29ba94ffb13d43970.jpg

This is the culmination of her character in the Wano arc to sum it all up. An amnesia storyline, and her unknowingly aiding the Wano rebellion with every action she makes. Not only does Wano have lackluster fights, she contributes to it by outright removing them by taking out two much needed matchups for Nami and Usopp, who lacked any of them post-ts.

So basically you find a character that is an Emperor of the sea who was the previous main villain of an arc who undergoes a universally criticized amnesia trope, adding nothing to her alliance with Kaido and instead causing him trouble by knocking out his subordinates which removes potential matchups for Straw Hats, and for her to conclude her role here by getting defeated by 2nd rate Supernova like Kid and Law who she had no connection to prior, to be terrifying. This is what you are saying, no ifs or buts.

The Scabbards got there moments in, but they were never going to be top players fighting Kaido? Like who even expected that?

Who said anything about Kaido?

I'll try to explain this as simple as possible. The scabbards are definitively the emotion centerpiece of the Wano arc second only to Momonosuke, which means they play a role that previously established characters fulfilled in previous arcs. This would include people like Vivi, Rebecca/Kyros, and Pudding.

Let's use Vivi as the example since she is the most popular and easiest to use. Throughout the Alabasta saga, starting at Whiskey Peak, we as the readers get to know her struggles and pain for her country as she starts acclimating to the Straw Hat crew. She represents the suffering that the Alabasta people go through, which makes us care about her as a character. And what we got in the Alabasta arc did not disappoint, as she played a very active role in trying to save her kingdom. She was given plenty of moments that are memorable even to this day. Vivi is an example of how Oda uses arc/saga specific side characters to enhance the current conflict that is going on.

Now, to the scabbards. As far as build-up and their introductory moments go, they are arguably done ever better than Vivi. The ''Raizo is safe'' moment speaks for itself. However, unlike Vivi, they did not deliver on their hype in the Wano arc. In particular, Act 3, which makes up roughly 80% of the arc. Their most contributory moment was stalling Kaido, but that was the extent of it. They were giving basically no screen time, and the ones that they actually get are seeing them cutting down fodder enemies. We even see Oda use convenient methods to take them out of the story, such as giving Kinemon and Kiku fake-out deaths, which lasted till the end of the raid. Denjiro was gone for 40 chapters, only to cut off Orochi's head, which most people already expected was to happen. Let's not even get into Kawamatsu...

It's not hard to imagine why the scabbards leave a lot to be desired. It's not about the fights, it's about the characters.

Not just the scabbards actually, I can point to several characters like even Kaido, who simply didn't live up to the expectations.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Kinemon was the heart of the scabbards in the story and he had a very strong connection to the crew ever since Punk Hazard and their introductory conflict to Kaido. We got a flashback flashing them all up and the cat and dog actually defeated one of Kaido's commanders. Kinemon was in charge of part of the strategy and he had a somewhat active role.

Future Warrior

Elite
Kinemon was the heart of the scabbards in the story and he had a very strong connection to the crew ever since Punk Hazard and their introductory conflict to Kaido. We got a flashback flashing them all up and the cat and dog actually defeated one of Kaido's commanders. Kinemon was in charge of part of the strategy and he had a somewhat active role.
If you read it carefully, I mentioned act 3 specifically, 80% of the story.