One Piece Discussion

Future Warrior

Elite
Kinemon was the heart of the scabbards in the story and he had a very strong connection to the crew ever since Punk Hazard and their introductory conflict to Kaido. We got a flashback flashing them all up and the cat and dog actually defeated one of Kaido's commanders. Kinemon was in charge of part of the strategy and he had a somewhat active role.
We don't disagree on this though?

I've acknowledged this in my post already. Maybe you missed it I guess.

Now, to the scabbards. As far as build-up and their introductory moments go, they are arguably done ever better than Vivi. The ''Raizo is safe'' moment speaks for itself. However, unlike Vivi, they did not deliver on their hype in the Wano arc.

I absolutely agree that the scabbards PRE-Wano are done as well as Vivi if not better. I'm talking about the meat of the story they are involved in, Wano, which they fall apart as a supporting cast.

Imagine in the final battle at the Alabasta arc, Vivi all of a sudden just vanishes, or is off-screen somewhere without an explanation. It would make for a worse arc, right? That's exactly what happened to the Scabbards.

I'm happy to hear any counters to that, though.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Rebecca wasn't all that present in the main conflict of Dressrosa.

And Kinnemon did many things, like facing Kaido at first and slightly disturbing him, jokingly and accidentally making all that plan, showing his determination many times, slicing up Kanjuro, being torn apart by Kaido... whether it was good or not, he did many things. The others Scabbards not so much, but I was mainly focusing on Kin since he was the heart of the team, in a way. And Dog and Cat, although not big with screen time, had a huge feat of defeating Jack.

Future Warrior

Elite
Rebecca wasn't all that present in the main conflict of Dressrosa.

And Kinnemon did many things, like facing Kaido at first and slightly disturbing him, jokingly and accidentally making all that plan, showing his determination many times, slicing up Kanjuro, being torn apart by Kaido... whether it was good or not, he did many things.

Him getting cut up by Kaido amounted to a fart gag. It was terrible. My compliant also isn't just screen time, but lack of character moments.

You can not tell me Kinemon or any scabbard comes close to this

4qgkz79xggg51.jpg
one_piece_ch797_p015.png

If you tell me otherwise then there's no point in continuing this discussion.

The others Scabbards not so much, but I was mainly focusing on Kin since he was the heart of the team, in a way. And Dog and Cat, although not big with screen time, had a huge feat of defeating Jack.
Then why do they exist in the story? Wouldn't it have been better for Oda to remove unneeded characters that only exist to bloat the arc? You could remove half of them, and nothing would change.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Vivi's scene was fairly impacting and Rebecca's too but they are the usual OP scenes of character crying and struggling. I could easily point to Kinnemon scene of him struggling in the ground in tears when Kaido crushed him. You don't have to scream for it to be impactful. The scene that Kaido craushed him is just a problem always presented in OP, plot armor. But it was a visceral scene showing his determination to stop Kaido at all costs, much like that scene shows Vivi's determination for the war to stop, although not as cool, yeah. I don't really see how Kinnemon was more poorly worked in the big day in comparison to previous showings.

They could have had less characters, but some were important for taking out the enemies, making them standing up to Kaido, even for a little, more believable and mounting forces against an Yonko. There were many characters back in Dressrosa that you could call irrelevant too. There was the option not to have that many, Oda wanted it that way both in Wano and in Dressorsa.

@Future Warrior

Future Warrior

Elite
Vivi's scene was fairly impacting and Rebecca's too but they are the usual OP scenes of character crying and struggling. I could easily point to Kinnemon scene of him struggling in the ground in tears when Kaido crushed him. You don't have to scream for it to be impactful. The scene that Kaido craushed him is just a problem always presented in OP, plot armor. But it was a visceral scene showing his determination to stop Kaido at all costs, much like that scene shows Vivi's determination for the war to stop, although not as cool, yeah. I don't really see how Kinnemon was more poorly worked in the big day in comparison to previous showings.
@Future Warrior

Kinemon scene was the extent of it (not nearly as good as Vivi scenes tho), but like I said, personally his character feels very shoddily written because that was just an excuse to take him out of the story for the rest of the arc. He was gone for 35 chapters, and then out of nowhere came to greet Adult Momonosuke like it was just another day.

But tbh. My complaints are mostly to the scabbards as a whole, because Oda took the time to give them good backstories but completely dropped the ball on their potential afterwards. IF there were like 4 or 5 of them, I think it would have been better for the story. However, Oda became too ambitious and the narrative took damage as a result.

I also have this complaint with Momonosuke too, AND other characters in this arc.

There were many characters back in Dressrosa that you could call irrelevant too.

I disagree. This feels like this is the only arc where this happened.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I don't think it was necessarily an excuse. He faced Kaido... being down for Ling chapters is actually more realistic. It's not like Rebecca and Kyros were always active either. Kyros accomplished his role and then it was all Zoro, Luffy and Law. The characters have their shining moments and then are kinda shafted, not everytime ofc, but often.

Momonosuke idk. I feel his maturing was handled well at least. I myself wouldn't like if he turned into a beast, it'd be more unrealistic. He got a boost to at least keep up a little and accelerate his growth, but it didn't feel rushed and cheap in a way that instamtly made him there. I think for a kid, he was handled not so badly.

Future Warrior

Elite
His moment of lifting up or stopping the island from falling which was anticipated for a long time was done in 2 quick panels. I was extremely disappointed and it annoyed me how he's now being treated like a man worthy of the Shogun title.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Vivi and Rebecca are both princesses, but Vivi is a strong female and Rebecca is a weak female. They both cry a lot, however.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
You still watching?
Daaaaawg!!! I know you didn’t ask this directly but I have to say: the last few episodes have been FUNimation subbed I think & they facking suck I think. Terrible & inaccurate. They might as-well be dub-titles. Seriously. Thank-fully I’m reading the manga-equivalent on the site & it actually matches-up to what they’re saying in the anime, but it’s needless trouble. Hopefully it goes back to non-official subs (can’t believe I’m saying that) lol.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Daaaaawg!!! I know you didn’t ask this directly but I have to say: the last few episodes have been FUNimation subbed I think & they facking suck I think. Terrible & inaccurate. They might as-well be dub-titles. Seriously. Thank-fully I’m reading the manga-equivalent on the site & it actually matches-up to what they’re saying in the anime, but it’s needless trouble. Hopefully it goes back to non-official subs (can’t believe I’m saying that) lol.
How are they that bad?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
How are they that bad?
No idea. Like I said, they seem to be using dub-titles. A-lot of what the sub-titles don’t match-up to what they are saying at-all. Thank-fully I know enough words to tell that what they are writing is bull-sheeeeeeeeeet. It’s distracting & takes way longer. Now it’s a chore to get through.