At which point did Vegeta get obsessed with Goku?

Hector

High Class Warrior
Was it after their fight on Earth? In an anime filler scene, as he was heading to Freeza's planet, he had a nightmare remembering Goku beating him up with 3fold-4fold kaioken.

In the manga, on the other hand, he seemed to have gotten over that and referred to all the earthlings collectively as weaklings when he said he was going to return to Earth and destroy them; no special referrence to Kakarot. Does that mean that, canon wise, his obsession started after the fight against Recoome, when he realized Goku was the Super Saiyan?

Last edited:

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Not until Namek. Seeing how powerful Goku had become against the Ginyu Force is what inspired his delusions about becoming a Super Saiyan.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
It began on Namek, but Vegeta was willing to kill Ginyu in his Goku's body even though it meant they'd never have a rematch.

It was in full swing after Vegeta found Goku became a Super Saiyan.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Post Namek. Before Vegeta was more worried about Freeza and immortality, but then Goku took out Freeza and became the new tenant in Vegeta’s mind.

Warmmedown

Elite
I think he would've gone back to kill Goku in revenge if Goku and the other earthlings never went to Namek. But yeh I also think it was on Namek. Early Namek he only thought about the earthlings in general and not about Kakarot. When on Namek? It started when Goku showed himself to still be a rival even as Vegeta was getting stronger (rather than the Earth battle being a one-time thing) and I think the heartfelt conversation between Vegeta and Goku at Vegeta's death probably added to it too.

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
I always thought Vegeta was preoccupied with Goku the moment Krillin stuck a sword in his back, but he repeatedly stated he wanted to get immortality to beat Frieza.

Perhaps until the Ginyu fight he was confident he was still a great deal stronger than Goku, like he proved on Earth and felt the likes of Dodoria and Zarbon would stomp the Goku he saw on Earth.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
The Namek arc, specifically after Goku defeated Reacoom.

Last edited:

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The Namek arc, specifically after Goku defeated Reacoom.
Wouldn't you say the bigger catalyst was Goku going SSJ and defeating Freeza though? Vegeta seemed to legitimately believe Goku couldn't progress further than he did by the time he fought the Ginyus because he was low-class. I'm not sure I'd call that an "obsession" per se.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
Vegeeta planned for Goku and Ginyu to kill each other in their fight. He was also about to kill Ginyu in Goku's body, even though that meant he'd never get to fight Goku again. He wasn't obsessed with Goku until after he became a Super Saiyan.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
Wouldn't you say the bigger catalyst was Goku going SSJ and defeating Freeza though? Vegeta seemed to legitimately believe Goku couldn't progress further than he did by the time he fought the Ginyus because he was low-class. I'm not sure I'd call that an "obsession" per se.
Goku defeating the Ginyu Force literally fueled his obsession with becoming Super Saiyan to the point of complete delusion of grandeur during the Freeza arc.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
Goku defeating the Ginyu Force literally fueled his obsession with becoming Super Saiyan to the point of complete delusion of grandeur during the Freeza arc.

>left Gokuu to fight Ginyuu in the hopes they'd kill each other
>was gonna kill Ginyuu in Gokuu's body

he wasn't obsessed with gokuu LOL stop the cap

Latest profile posts

Speak for yourselves :zorc
If we could focus well we'd be doing other things
I have never been able to focus well : o