Popular series you dislike?

Flame

High Class Warrior
Different than the arcs. What series that are popular, do you dislike?

Neon Genesis Evangelion- Very popular series and I consider it one of the worst series I've ever seen. The characters in the series are dreadful, depressing, and static. With the exception of possibly Shinji at the ending, which is one of the worst endings to an anime I've ever seen. I think the series had great potential, but it was handled horribly.

Guilty Crown- It starts off pretty good but ultimately fails and goes some super weird routes. It only got worse as the series progressed and had a horrible ending.

Eden of the East- I think this has decent popularity. In any case, it's a pretty boring story and I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. It's 11 episodes, but it's not worth the waste.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
One Piece
Bleach
Naruto (more just indifferent to it, I guess)
Jojo's Whatever Adventure

And probably 80% of what everyone babbles on about on anime forums.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Boku no Hero Academia
Angel Beats!
Shingeki no Kyojin
Tokyo Ghoul
Bleach
Madoka Magica
Naruto
Code Geass
Mirai Nikki
Dragon Ball GT/Super
Magi
Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso
Erased
Elfen Lied
Fate/Zero and Fate/stay-night
One Punch Man
Steins; Gate
Shokugeki no Souma
Sailor Moon
Ansatsu Kyoshitsu
Nanatsu no Taizai

Too long a list to go into details right now, but may do so if asked about them.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
A few I’m willing to expound upon slightly:

Shingeki no Kyojin:
- The characters are generally piss poor, the only character who receives any development whatsoever and even has his eyes open as to what’s going on around him is perhaps Jean. He’s the only one who changes, the only ones who learns. The rest, for a long time, have nothing. In the manga, some begin to receive development well into the series (like 40 chapters in) which is a long time, not to mention that some of that development hinges on prior development which never occurred in the eyes of the reader.
- The anime’s pacing is real bad, with one episode stalling for over 10 minutes so our main characters can converse behind the cover of smoke for ages about things we already know. Meanwhile, the first few episodes are incredibly rushed in contrast. What gives?
- The presentation is lol-worthy. The over-the-top scene of them bringing back the dead soldier’s arm in ep 1 is unintentional hilarity, but I don’t know if I can fault the director for not knowing what to do with a dumb scene.

Erased:
- Arguably has something of an identity crisis. The answer to the mystery is far too obvious for it to be a “mystery” series. I don’t know that I’d call it a thriller. I’d hardly attribute the obviousness of the answer to dramatic irony or anything, as the show attempts to mislead the viewer as well. It does so in very camp, artificial ways as well — presenting characters with red eyes randomly for no reasons, artificial shadows over a character’s eyes in random scenes, etc.
- The main character, considering that he’s an adult in a child’s body, is unbelievably dumb. His friend, who was actually a kid, is smarter than him on multiple occasions. Unfortunately, there would be no plot if he wasn’t that dumb. He or other characters occasionally consider the smart solution, but only multiple episodes later than what could be considered reasonable.
- The ending is one of the most contrived, nonsensical, pointless and meaningless things ever.

Naruto (I’d like to bring up some things that I feel aren’t talked about much):
- Why is it not until Part 2 that Kakashi and someone else (Asuma?) bother to teach Naruto his elemental affinity? Is that not one of the most basic things for a shinobi to know? Why the fuck, at the very least, would Jiraiya not cover that shit on his 3 year training spree to prep him for the damn Akatsuki coming for his ass? All he seemed to learn from that trip that I can recall is how to make a bigger Rasengan. Kishi just forgot until he needed Naruto to get a power-up.
- Genjutsu and taijutsu are a heavily underutilized aspect in the series. Most combat was decided by ninjutsu, followed by taijutsu although most taijutsu was rather basic. Taijutsu in particular was so underutilized that Kishi couldn’t think of anything interesting for it without resorting to the opening of the Gates even as early as the Chunin Exams. Genjutsu is so bad that as early as Part 1, almost all genjutsu is irrelevant next to the base Sharingan’s capabilities, let alone the Mangekyo. There is some sound based genjutsu that I remember, but the only really note-worthy non-Sharingan genjutsu I can recall is Jiraiya’s vs Pain.
- Itachi’s strength is far too reliant on his Mangekyo, considering how talented he supposedly was before he acquired it. The only techniques he uses without the Mangekyo are some generic fire style techniques and some genjutsu, yet pre-Mangekyo Itachi was one of the most gifted shinobi in Konoha regardless. The fight against Sasuke was almost entirely Mangekyo techniques vs Sasuke’s (obviously) non-Mangekyo ones. I don’t fault him for using the Mangekyo, obviously, but I fault him for using almost nothing else.
- This is going by hazy memory, so could be wrong, but Sunagakure is fucking weak. The Kazekage that Sasori killed was stated to be the strongest, no? Thereby making Sasori the strongest sand shinobi, until I suppose Gaara surpasses him. Sasori was bested by Chiyo and Sakura. The sand fucking sucks.

I’ll list out some more later :mikey

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
Tokyo Ghoul - I heard all kinds of good things about it, it had 10+ million hits on the anime site where I watched with comments talking about how good it is, but when I sat down and watched it, I was just so disappointed.

Flame mentioned Eden of the East. I didn't know it was popular, but if so than I'll say that one as well. I thought the premise of the story was interesting, the main lead is likable, I like the anime, it's animation looked like something that was produced by Studio Ghibli which did a lot of anime films I'm fond of, but it absolutely flopped. Not much was explained in the 11 episodes it ran. I've heard the three movies it got didn't explain much, but I haven't seen them myself yet.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
Kyo said:
I’ll list out some more later :mikey

Why hello there

Fate/Zero (I don't know if I *dislike* it, but I think it's pretty.....meeehhh):
- For a battle royale to the death, this series sure loves to stall. Saber/Lancer engage in dialogue about honor or some shit after every strike, why? Saber randomly lets Caster escape after catching him off guard for no reason by threatening him instead of just....killing him, why? Fuckin "the next one shall be real" headass. When multiple servants are together they all just watch while two of them fight, why?
- On the note of stalling, the series' philosophical conversations are the selling point, but most of them are pointless and time-wasting. There is supposed to be a clash of ideals, but the problem is that the characters are, more often than not, just a pile of ideals pounded into the form of a person. The conversations between Kirei and Archer are some of the only ones that I can recall being decent, as they actually drove Kirei's character. The "Banquet of Kings" is hella overrated though, although I don't have the memory to dissect it right this second. Perhaps CC can cover my ass here, provided he agrees with me.
- The fights end up being the real highlight in my opinion, but many of them are rather weak. Some of them are just Archer spamming shit from his portal. Another one is just a pointlessly drawn out affair so that we get to see Saber's OP final attack. Etc. Some of them are pretty good though.
- A lot of the characters are just empty husks I think, but some are just wasted potential which is even worse. Kariya is one, as he had the best backstory, but it never really pays off. This applies to most of the servants as well really, seeing as how they're historical figures -- you could go in some interesting directions with that.
- There a lot of nitpicks I have in general, which I might get into more in a separate thread one day.

Code Geass:
- Riding the coattails of Death Note, this show fails to realize that the rules of the death note are part of what made the show and Light's shenanigans intriguing in the first place. Lelouch's Geass has almost no rules, sans the single use rule, meaning it has no limits, and Lelouch himself is only seen testing it like once -- which doesn't really amount to a whole lot. This is a major oversight that breaks the show and essentially invalidates the idea that this conflict would ever take 50 episodes to resolve itself. It's telling that this is also one of many issues that breaks the plot of Netflix's live action Death Note, lol.
- The Geass power is inconsistent. It is unbreakable, except when it isn't.
- The one time there is any inconvenience in using the Geass, it's power becomes uncontrollable for a while, but it is only done to influence one event and then a contact lens sweeps that issue under the rug. So, in other words, a plot device rather than an interesting development of any sort.
- The show keeps with the spirit of the above point in general, and is chock full of convenient deus ex machina and diabolus ex machina.
- Lelouch is shown to be smart by playing chess and randomly predicting events before they happen. Despite his genius, he never makes backup plans for events he knows may occur (e.g. Spinzaku's constant interference), he wastes resources on needless battles (a ~third of R2's plot), he fights potential allies, and there's no tangible indication that he even knows anything about tactics -- he just wins.
- R2 pushed a reset button.
- Lots of inexplicable things happen for the sake of happening. People are inexplicably revived (or at least, that would explain how they survived life-threatening events), because. Spinzaku's Eleven ass inexplicably becomes a test mech pilot at the start of the series, because. Lelouch inexplicably travels impossible distances, because he needs to. Characters will inexplicably do the stupidest thing possible for that particular scenario, in order for the plot to move forward exactly as the writers intend it to.
- Charles's "Ragnarok" plot is completely out of left field and ridiculous. An extremely bizarre attempted take on NGE's Instrumentality plot, it ends as abruptly as it begins and strangely plays out like the climax of the series...only the series continues on from there for a while longer to showcase a boring battle with Schneizel and then a ridiculous finale.
- Spinzaku is a veritable retard.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kyo said:
The "Banquet of Kings" is hella overrated though, although I don't have the memory to dissect it right this second. Perhaps CC can cover my ass here, provided he agrees with me.
I'd agree, though remember little of it beyond Rider proving himself to be the best character in the slightly below average at best series by pointing out how Saber is a huge hypocrite. Other than that, yeah...there wasn't much to dissect beyond Urobutcher's typical pretentiousness and leading into a battle against zero-dimensional fodder.

Pretty much agree with everything you said about both series, though it's worth adding Fate/Zero also fails by having it's ensemble battle royale premise ruined by Kiritsugu's backstory really pushing him being the protagonist, thus removing a lot of the series' appeal of seeming non-biased. I'd also say Code Geass is closer to a Legend of the Galactic Heroes/Gundam knockoff with Death Note elements, but close enough. It's also worth noting how Lelouch's character decisions made little sense. He doesn't bother to do something as obvious as a "Make everyone my slaves" command until R2 and by that point is still fighting when believing his sister to be dead, despite her being the driving force for his goals in the first place. Also, the show tried way too hard to have too many different concepts to the point it became jarring. You can't expect someone to take a show about war and terrorism seriously when you combine it poorly with slice of life and ecchi elements to the point Ledouche's plans almost got foiled by a cat.

Whelp, now that Kyo's gone through the trouble of listing down the faults he has in several series, it's only fair I do the same.

Boku no Hero Academia
- It's as generic as Shonen gets, with an underdog story seen plenty of times before, 1-dimensional archetypes for a cast and female characters who are only memorable for their oversexualisation and ahegao faces (when they're minors, might I add). Every fight usually comes down to even more talk no Jutsu than Naruto before ending anticlimactically with a single punch after an asspulled power up.
- It ruined it's premise from the beginning. We're outright told that this is the story about how Deku became the best hero, so what's the point in viewing it any further?
- The series not only betrays it's premise, but it's main themes due to seemingly having no idea of what heroism is. The Hero Exams reward points for secret factors and judge favouritism, the exact opposite of altruistic heroism.
- The majority of the series consists of the main cast doing school sports activities and worrying about first world problems in a battle Shonen. Might as well be renamed My Millennial Academia.

Angel Beats!
- 5 minutes into the first episode and the interesting idea of purgatory as a setting is revealed to be a high school of all things. Wouldn't blame anyone for dropping it for just that.
- The entire series feels very disjointed. Most of the events simply happen with much interconnectivity to the point it's basically random nonsense by the second episode alone.
- Emotional manipulation is the only thing it's remembered for. The fans don't remember or care for the bland personalities and one-note nature of it's cast, they just care about their sad backstory 101 and deaths that give them the feelz.

Tokyo Ghoul
- The world building makes no sense. Despite humanity having lived with the threat of Ghouls since time immemorial, society hasn't developed in any way to actively prevent this threat beyond a few special forces. On the subject of things that make it fall to shit from the first chapter, not only does the main character go out on a date to an abandoned area when there's a Ghoul alert like a pleb, but has one of the biggest cases of plot convenience with him being coincidentally saved by a falling beam without it landing on him at all.
- The series has no understanding of the word subtlety. It's made obvious from the doctor being able to perform a Ghoul organ transplant that he was developing such hybrids and the attempt to hide the fact that the purple haired faggot from the third volume was evil was executed laughably poor.

Bleach
- Where do I even begin with this? Setting aside it's first arc being a ripoff of Yu Yu Hakusho and it's plot from Soul Society and onwards just being a retread of Saint Seiya's Sanctuary and Hades Arcs, the plot structure is ridiculously basic and repetitive in general.
- There's quite honestly no character that really stands out as being more than a pale imitation of an archetype I've seen done far better elsewhere. Yoruichi is the only one I can say stands out as unconventional of the old master trope, but if expanding to mentor figures in Shonen in general, she's nothing special when considering there were quite a few strict female mentors long before her (eg. Marin in Saint Seiya, Lisa Lisa in JoJo, Genkai in YYH, etc.)
- One thing that doesn't get brought up enough is how the world building of Soul Society and afterlife in general makes absolutely no sense (and thus contributes to it being one of the most overrated Shonen Arcs). The spirits are either reincarnated, become ghosts in the living world or are sent to hell. Considering that, what's the reason for not just letting the ghosts stay on Earth, or having a mortal realm in the first place when the afterlife is no different beyond having Bankais and people would just get reincarnated anyway? We're shown that Shinigami such as Hitsugaya and Ukitake age, yet this shouldn't be possible when they're already spirits. Why is it a problem the Quincies destroy souls when the population of both realms keep increasing and isn't it better to just let them destroy evil souls than send them to hell, which is just a meaningless alternative by comparison? What even is the point in hell if they can't reincarnate to learn from their mistakes? The more you think about it's setting, the stupider it becomes. Yes, Yu Yu Hakusho ended up doing a few similar blunders when it came to it's afterlife, such as Koenma not even knowing what happens to those of the Rekai who die, but at least in that series there were far less problems with the afterlife by only giving major focus on it during the beginning and end of the manga rather than 90% of it's duration.
- I could spend many paragraphs talking about the numerous retcons such as Yammy contradicting the statement that the Espada are numbered #10 - 1 or power chains changing as drastically and quickly as in Dragon Ball Super's anime, but that would just be beating a dead horse at this point.

Erased
- Kyo already covered most of the main aspects, but I guess there's a few things worth covering. For one, it happening purely due to the bane of writing quality that is time travel already makes it worthless, since it's just plot convenience/armour that's given to the protagonist for no worthwhile reason. Along with there being no consistency to how it happens, the fact that nothing of significance in the world changes beyond the day of the victim's death is absolutely absurd.
- The series' attempts at making the audience care for the characters through edgy victimisation makes them absolutely hollow.
- The protagonist's close relationship with the main girl despite his mental age can make this seem like borderline paedophilia.

Will cover the rest of the series I listed in another post (other than GT/Super which have been analysed to death here, as well as Code Geass and Fate/Zero which Kyo already covered).

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
Erased’s mang0 pretty much goes the extra mile without being pedophilia outright :wtf

6c2d73a6ff1fd1fa20cdb10485d2de9c.jpg

At most you can say it’s not quite on par with the lowest common denominator :trash at least while shit like this still exists :alex2

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
:withheld :withheld :withheld

Might as well add a few more.

Madoka Magica
- The so called "philosophy" within it is as weak and pretentious as you'd expect of Urobutcher and just a retread of the failings of Fate/Zero's finale. Having characters who lack the quality that they're monologuing about leaves no room for actual thought if they're just berating it. A talking cat without emotion criticising emotion means nothing.
- The series is only praised as a subversion of Mahou Shoujo, and does that very poorly. A true subversion needs time to add tweaks to a certain formula before proving itself as something different (eg. Gundam showing itself as more serious than the campy mecha that came before it, Evangelion messing about with mecha tropes even further, Hunter X Hunter and FMA going by elements of the Shonen formula before taking a more mature approach to them, etc.). In Madoka on the other hand, we have a copy-paste of every magical girl series since Sailor Moon before turning into an edgefest in episode 3. Very disjointed.
- The characters are extremely bland and it had too big of a cast to flesh out in only 12-13 episodes.
- The series ends with a time reset of all things for a forced happy ending in the movie.
- Urobutcher proved how little he cares about his bland characters by having plans for a movie where the cast have completely different personalities due to it being an alternate universe, proving they have little of worth to begin with. At least when Anno rejected his true vision with the Rebuild movies for Evangelion, he kept the characters' personalities the same and at least alternate universes of Gundam (as bad as they may be) make sure to keep the cast different.

Naruto
- Criticising this is beating a dead horse at this point, so I'll only go over some key points.
- Including a chosen one and making it Naruto makes his underdog story pointless when he was predestined for greatness. Neji was right all along.
- Series had a few good opportunities to kill off characters and offer more of an impact on the arc, yet rarely do so unless they're old. All of the group in the Sasuke rescue arc survive despite only Naruto and Shikamaru playing a role in the later plot. Gaara dies in the Kazekage Rescue Arc only to be brought back in exchange for the life of an old woman nobody cared about. A huge amount of the main cast is killed by Pain, only to be brought back via the Rinnegan.

Mirai Nikki
- The main character is beta cuck 101, pretty much scared to do anything and letting Yuno lead him around. This would be excusable if he had a bad family life or lived in quite a bleak setting such as Shinji from Evangelion (who the mangaka was obviously ripping off, considering they even brought in a Kaworu knockoff) but instead he has an OK family life and just needed to worry about 1st world problems prior to the story. The only time he changes is out of nowhere about 75% through the series and quickly regresses thereafter.
- The God of Time and Space having a limited lifespan when they control time itself is as asinine as you can get.
- The ending of the manga with Yuno smashing through space and time with a hammer is perhaps the dumbest ending to something that wasn't an intentional comedy I've ever seen.

Magi
- Unlike most other series I've listed, this one actually had the potential to be one of the best Shonen out there with a large scope of theme exploration on the topics of rulership, adventure, politics, slavery and more in a cool magical setting. However, it had too many themes to balance with and tended to only focus on a major one for one arc before jumping to the next without the other being given further exploration, thus giving the series little identity of it's own.
- The protagonist, Aladdin, is absolutely insufferable. Along with being just a perverted moeblob, his overpowered genie can act as a big deus ex machina throughout most of the story. Why his friend Alibaba wasn't the protagonist I do not know.
- On the subject of overpowered, the magic system betrays it's premise in a lot of ways as it builds itself up as a complex system where it doesn't really matter how much raw power you have, only for the arc with the Arabian Hogwarts to have it's magic boil down to a bunch of laser beams and Aladinn's genie and other characters simply developing overly broken techniques. Yes, I praise Stands in JoJo and Nen in Hunter X Hunter despite the overpowered nature of Requiem Stands and Contracts respectively, but over there those abilities were limited to a select few cases and didn't play an overarching role in the plot's entirety after their use as far as one character's abilities go (except perhaps Kurapika with Emperor Time).
- Like many series, it's display of dark themes is made into edgy nonsense by having the characters portraying them be caricatures of the theme, such as one-dimensional privileged rapists to display the horror of the nobility.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
- Much like my main complaint for Angel Beats, this series has little worth caring about it beyond exploiting those who get overly attached to cute girl characters to give them the feelz.
- Following on from that, it's characters are complete :trash (the blonde deuteragonist in particular) due to some of the heaviest amounts of tonal whiplash I've seen in a series. She goes from shouting at the protagonist and calling him a pervert over a dumb misunderstanding to giving him kind advice in some of the most jarring scenes possible. Once more, proof at how a series with a modern setting and zero stakes and characters built on first world problems can't work at anything other than putting the audience to sleep.

Elfen Lied
- The series may as well be called "Cute Girls doing Edgy Things". Following on from my previous talk of tonal whiplash, this series is built on it by trying to be both an action thriller with themes about evolution and a generic harem. Also worth noting that the male protagonist marries his cousin at the end of the manga. :autism
- Did I say themes about evolution? Well, that just shows this series couldn't do anything with a potentially cool idea, instead using it as a way to have pink haired waifus with little horns hacking people up. Even if wanting to watch it as just gore schlock, it has nothing to offer compared to the detail of OVAs and manga from the 80s/90s.
- The scene where the puppy gets killed is as edgy as it gets, a word I'm having to throw around almost all the time in this post due to how many series lack a mature handling of dark themes in the 21st Century. Yes, you do get cases of children (usually future serial killers) hurting animals for fun, but when you have about three such children in the same room finding joy in this, things become completely unrealistic and just there for shock effect.

Fate/stay-night
- I had my problems with Fate/Zero as addressed before, but it may as well be the masterpiece it's praised as compared to it's sequel, which has a very mundane setting and serves only to be a generic battle Shonen/harem.
- Much like F/Z, the reasons for characters not killing each other in a death tournament are contrived. Saber doesn't use her overpowered special attack for a long time just because, Rin doesn't get rid of Shiro because she's a generic tsundere, Iilya messes around with everyone even though Berserker could've solo'd the competition early on, Gilgamesh doesn't get involved because he doesn't want to get dirt on his armour, etc.
- It's power system is made absolutely worthless to an even greater degree than most others due to the existence of Rule Breaker making the several dozen hours' worth of talk about the rules in both the anime and game pointless.
- Shiro is a bland self insert with the broken skill of Excalibur handed to him as plot armour. Also doesn't help that game-wise, he solves all the female cast's problems with his penis due to it originally being a Hentai game. Yes, you can take out the sex scenes without changing the plot like the UBW anime did, but what do you have left then? A typical battle Shonen with too many harem elements and bland characters, that's what.
- "People die when they are killed." "The Archer class is made of archers." Need I say more?

Will expand on the rest of my initial list later.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
Double posting and there ain't nothin you can do bout it :mikey :mikey

I wasn't originally going to make another post, but eh, it's been a while since I've really actively though of what I liked/disliked in stuff, so I suppose this thread is just inspiring me in that regard. I might make a "popular series you like" thread later on to complement this one, on that note.

Another
- The soundtrack was poorly placed, with the "creepy" themes sounding more like they were trying to parody something from the horror genre (like seriously the music was like, middle school haunted house tier), and yet from all that I could see the show was taking itself seriously.
- Most of the plot and the rules of the "curse" are infodumped to us early on, which kills most of the tension throughout the series. This is very amateurish.
- You can see all of the deaths coming, and their absurd nature makes them more hilarious than scary.
- The characters are trying to figure out how to stop the curse etc., but they don't really do anything and information is simply handed to them at key moments during the plot. At other times, they could be in the process of getting info they need, but some contrived bullshit keeps it from them, because the show can just rely on the curse killing dudes whenever it needs to.
- The main character is a cardboard cutout. And a twat.
- The main girl was the only really interesting character in the show, perhaps, but that's...really all she is. She serves to act mysterious and throw the audience off. Also, she knew the answer to the curse all along, but withheld it for no good reason. She just tells us near the end after shit hits the fan. She says it wouldn't have done any good to have revealed it before, but that's dumb. Even if that's true, would it have done any harm?
- As a sidenote, Another's claim to fame was having one of its bland characters top a poll for most tragic heroine in 2012. Gimme a fuckin break. I'd sooner place even any of the Madoka characters over her, or any number of other characters on that list that ranked lower.

Nisekoi (kinda low hanging fruit despite its popularity perhaps but fuggit)
- Almost all of the complaints I have apply to any poorly written, long-running harem series. That being said....
- "MC-kun, I wish you were the boy I made the promise to when we were kids" (paraphrasing); MC-kun: "WHAT COULD SHE POSSIBLY MEAN BY THAT???"
- Kosaki, the shy girl that the MC also liked initially, was actually going to confess multiple times, but was always cut off by some contrived interruption and then pussied out of confessing after. It's very forced, you could've just written her in a more interesting way that maybe sheds light on why she's extremely shy and indecisive, but no, you just make her shy and then have her hype herself up to confess, only to take it all away because the series can't end yet.
- First girl wins, as one might predict.
- MC-kun falls for the tsundere girl that physically abuses him over time because being with her is "interesting." Go figure.
- The tsundere girl constantly puts MC-kun down physically and emotionally and it's played for laughs, and the one time the MC steps over the line and hurts her with his words (in a way that he wouldn't have even realized), it's treated very seriously and it's his fault. Later she hurts him as well out of anger and calls herself an idiot for it in solitude, but this is about the only time she's ever held accountable for anything and it's only in that one scene with her by herself.
- One of the girls is very forward in expressing her love for the MC, but the MC never just says no, kind of leading her on for a majority of the series by just being awkward around her.
- MC and main girl don't share their first kiss until well after they're engaged. Okay then.
- Filler filler pacing killer.

Bleach
- Just wanna talk about some of the more offensive things to me, personally.
- What the fuck was Aizen's plan with Orihime? He kidnaps her because her power bleeds into the temporal realm, as her "healing" does not actually heal injuries, but rather reverts the afflicted area back to its previous state in time, making her power god-like in some way. But nothing ever comes of this and Aizen never actually uses her for anything, that I can recall.
- Kubo makes Hollow Ichigo his actual Zankaputo, and his previous "Zangetsu" is actually a manifestation of his Quincy powers or some shit. He tries to play this off as "it's been this way all along" because Hollow Ichigo was always present for Ichigo's Zankaputo training and shit, and there's even one time where the Hollow is even calling himself Zangetsu. However, the most damning thing of all is that Ichigo's bankai training is carried out by "Zangetsu" as opposed to Hollow Ichigo, and "Zangetsu" even transforms when using "bankai" himself, iirc. Which makes no sense and proves that Kubo didn't actually plan shit and just tried to write Hollow Ichigo = Zangetsu backwards into the series.
- What in the world could Aizen's bankai possibly have been, when his shikai was so overpowered? Did he even have one? Perhaps he just used his shikai to fool the other captains into thinking he had some bs bankai when he really didn't.
- Ichigo and Rukia were totally down to fuck, Kubo ain't foolin anyone with dat ending.

Mirai Nikki
- To add a few things...
- Even detractors will praise the first ep as being one of the only good ones, but the first ep makes no sense. Yuki, our protagonist, is thrust into a bout with one of the "diary holders" before he even learned of Deus's game's existence (all he figured out was that his diary could suddenly tell little bits of the future). What kind of god of time and space sets up this death game and then neglects to tell one (Yuki was the only one) of the competitors that said game is going on (never mind the nature of the game or anything like that)? Had it not been for Yuno he'd have died because he had no idea what was going on. And then Deus has the nerve to say that he predicts Yuki to win or some shit.
- Yuki has a target painted on his back due to Deus's declaration, and yet the other diary holders are all too happy to line up one-by-one to face him and Yuno. On that note, it's hard to believe that none of the diary holders have coincidental run-ins with each other as opposed to with only Yuki/Yuno.
- The show is edgy as hell, and attempts to garner last-second sympathy for every character with some tragic backstory involving rape or some other tragedy befalling either them or their family members. There's even a sadistic little kid who somehow gets access to poison gas and shit to kill our main characters with.
- The diary powers are blatantly imbalanced, some are far more useful than others. Many of the diary holders don't even utilize their diary powers much at all and just resort to more conventional means of combat etc., which makes the show a lot less interesting.
- There's an episode in which a diary holder couple accuse Yuki of not "truly" loving Yuno or something, and the show/Yuki take it seriously to heart. Why the fuck would he love her at this point. She's insane.
- Yuki has selective memory. This is the only way to explain why he inexplicably chooses to trust Yuno in certain episodes, feel bad for her, defend her, or feel any sort of affection for her.
- Perhaps this should have been an earlier point, but character stupidity is the biggest driving force of this show by far:
-- "Hey man, hold the door while we check this obvious trap out," "aight fam"......proceeds to not hold the door and walk in, they get trapped. Whodathunkit!
-- Cops get involved at one point, but there's only two of them and they don't even have guns.
-- One of the diary holders is arrested for leaking police info. Other diary holders (including our MCs) in the same vicinity are not arrested for straight up terrorist activity involving explosives and such.
-- At one point, hostile diary holders get a hold of Yuno/Yuki's diaries, but rather than destroy them immediately they just decide to fuck with Yuno/Yuki, and do so like dumbasses, which leads to their downfall.
-- Etc etc etc etc.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- this shit is too long and school's startin back up tomorrow smh :eek:of :eek:of

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Kyo said:
- Ichigo and Rukia were totally down to fuck, Kubo ain't foolin anyone with dat ending.

>actually reading Bleach's ending :punk

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
Oh yeah, forgot to include as one of Bleach's bullet points:

- https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/4w4h0t/disc_bleach_chapter_685/d63vbv4/

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kyo said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- this shit is too long and school's startin back up tomorrow smh :eek:of :eek:of
> Too Long
> Has viewed OP up until at least the timeskip.

:giraffe

Jokes aside, guess I'll continue.

One Punch Man
- If someone were to say to me "a series where the main character can end fights with a single punch" before this, my first guess would have been the first arcs of Hokuto no Ken and Dragon Ball, the former a celebration of empowerment fantasies and the latter a parody of them to some extent. What makes both series similar is they both abandoned them for a more serious plot as the joke of an unbeatable protagonist gets stale very fast. See where I'm going with this?
- It's a parody of Super Heroes, that's true, but it doesn't do a good job in it's exploration. Like MHA, the Hero Association is founded more on popularity and statistics rather than actual heroism, so even if viewing it for the setting and ideas about heroes, it isn't really worth much. Also, Tentai Senshi Sunred did the idea of an overpowered hero living a mundane life far better by having his daily life be more of a focus than just an episodic gag and gave it's villains some sympathetic qualities rather than just being punching bags.
- On the subject of parodying overpowered heroes and the structure of such stories, this ends up being it's curse as it becomes tied down to these cliches eventually such as actually making things seem serious with events such as the Sea King and Boros especially, which cause it become somewhat pretentious by embracing what it's poking fun at rather than improving it. The series shouldn't have gone any further than Boros for that reason alone.

Steins;Gate
- Even if praised as the deepest exploration of time travel in anime, it still falls victim to the massive plot conveniences such a trope provides with it's main character being able to rewrite the timeline constantly. This wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't plot armoured in general even without it, such as being able to fend off elite special forces despite being an average joe and resetting everything by the end makes the whole thing meaningless in the end.
- Along with that, the Okabe's growth is vastly overrated as well. There's no room to develop by living with acknowledgement of the mistakes you made when the plot focuses on constantly going back in time until you fix things perfectly.
- There's also quite a disingenuous amount of otaku pandering in the series, such as already setting in stone the fat lonely otaku will end up with a wife, Kurisu being a closet anime fan or Feris Nyan Nyan pushing the cat girl cliche to it's most annoying degree. This is brought even further by the third quarter of the series basically turning into a dating sim as Okabe fixes the problems of one of the female cast when spending some alone time with them each episode.

Shokugeki no Souma
- Literally nothing but a harem/ecchi series with a bunch of bland archetypes for a cast such as the dense Gary Stu self insert, the typical tsundere the unconfident shy girl, etc. with no actual stakes to keep you invested in whether or not a character does well in a cooking contest.
- Did you expect me to find more to say about this mundanity? Well, I guess I could say go put on an episode of Hell's Kitchen if wanting to watch cooking with some entertainment value.

Sailor Moon
- I tend to think of this as the Saint Seiya knockoff for girls. A team of five characters with a colourful attire that has some level of uniformity takes and have powers associated with some cosmic force (Planets/Planetoids in SM, Constellations in SS) fight against evil entities who wish to manipulate the cosmos, with the main characters having some sort of special destiny and a winged final form. The difference is that in Sailor Moon, the characters don't have to go through actual training or find some level of strategy or suffer great injury to overcome their opponent, they're just granted a power up and beat the enemy because magic. The Sailor Scouts only really stand out in characterisation through their chemistry in the slice of life segments (most of which were only in the anime) rather than battle, whereas SS does fine in both. Also, as far as the destiny goes, at least in SS it was due to an already established rule on reincarnation, wasn't set in stone what the character would do and even the repetition of history wasn't any higher than giving a slight injury to Hades. In Sailor Moon, however, we just have the protagonist being a Mary Sue by the end.
- It also doesn't help that the battles lack much, if any, choreography and the climaxes are always anticlimactic, with both usually boiling down to firing an energy beam through a wand and having the Silver Crystal save the day.
- The whole aspect of the main characters purely being influenced by their past lives to the point Usagi and Mamoru automatically fall in love with each other because of it makes characterisation pretty hollow even by the end of the first arc.

Ansatsu Kyoshitsu
- Yet another of the empowerment fantasies for skinny losers that are all the rage nowadays, as we have the unrealism of a bunch of middle schoolers becoming and surpassing expert assassins in the span of a year.
- This could have been fine if it stook to being a comedy/parody, but much like with OPM it provides too many dramatic moments and the illusion of high stakes for it to become anything but jarring. Despite always paining each character as someone with a tragic past (as though that's the only way to make a younger character even semi-interesting) the cast spend too much time with dumb antics typical of school comedies.
- There's little variety in motivation as the main plot of "Train to kill Koro-Sensei" causes the actual motivations of each character in the class to be forgettable if even existent. Because of this overlying theme, the plot gets repetitive fast and provides little to keep someone viewing it.
- Despite having a lot of tactics and planning, this becomes meaningless when superpowers are constantly abused and physics get thrown out the window if it gets in the way of the plot.
- When the plot isn't recycling the same set of ongoing gags, it usually relies on references which is just as lazy and can completely fail to hit the mark due to the gags being niche if one isn't well versed in a lot of famous anime. I'll admit a few got a chuckle out of me such as Koro-Sensei's head on Jagi's body, but referential humour is low tier regardless due to it often doing no more than riding off the coattails of better works. Also, it's not even well implemented as the references aren't even made by the characters and are just added as background images. Comparing it to an infinitely better school series, Great Teacher Onizuka, GTO actually makes this a strength by having it's references character-based so it actually enriches the setting of middle school in the 90s and has the character reactions done well enough that it doesn't matter if the audience doesn't get what's being referenced.

Nanatsu no Taizai
- It's as standard of a Shonen as you can get, the only difference from most modern Shonen is that it's characters already being veterans makes it closer to most 80s Shonen. However, that doesn't mean it's quality is on par with series of that time. All the cast, despite being colourful, are pretty typical archetypes. Meliodas is the overpowered perverted protagonist done better with Lupin from Lupin III, Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra or to an extent the titular protagonist of Kinnikuman. Elizabeth is the typical damsel you see in so many Shonen, though is even more poorly written than Orihime when considering how she never objects to Meliodas groping her and treats him like a messiah. Ban is just your typical bloodlusted/battle loving character you can find in most battle Shonen such as Vegeta in DB, Zoro in OP, Kenpachi in Bleach, etc.
- On the topic of Meliodas being a pervert who can't stop groping the princess, this constant attempt at fanservice makes even Fairy Tail seem tame and causes the series to seem like no more than deviant mindless entertainment, which it would be if I was actually entertained by it.
- Moving onto the villains, they are some of the most worthless in Shonen and that's saying a lot. All those of the first major story arc are just evil for the sake of evil until it's revealed they were being mind controlled by a greater evil...which just makes them even more worthless due to their prior actions meaning nothing beyond being a bigger bad's puppets and them being rewritten in whatever way the plot demands after that role is done.
- It's not only the villains that are affected by poor rewrites, but Diana being revealed to have amnesia out of nowhere just for the sake of a love triangle was one of the most contrived implementations of the amnesia trope I've seen. Speaking of contrivances and unnecessary plot twists, NNT is full of them. For instance, one character is initially shown as a midget in a helmet before transforming into a huge knight before revealing his true form as a Bishonen Fairy with ties to the character King, before being revealed to be a corpse controlled by a knight who is in turn controlled by a demon. Was there any real need for such a bunch of convoluted "twists"?
- The general power scale and power creep in the series is pretty bad. For the former, we have the Sins being forced to retreat against the Knights of the kingdom, only to stomp them years later when the Sins became weaker from losing their weapons and the knights became stronger by being infused with demon blood. I believe this was explained later on, but the explanation was a contrived attempt to plug a plot hole so it's a weak point regardless. Then with the second arc, we have power levels being introduced in the series and the characters quickly being able to surpass huge numbers and gaps makes both the power level concept and the power creep it offered just as bad as in the Freeza Arc.
- It's also held down by the fact it has no real underlying theme to hold it together or take away from it beyond the asethetic flavouring of an Arthurian setting. Whilst the mangaka's previous work, Kongo Bancho, had a very typical Shonen plot and archetypical characters, it at least made up for that by it's constant theme of both celebrating the proactive nature of older works whilst criticising the flaws of modern Japanese society such as hikkikomoris and self-indulgent otaku. If someone were to analyse the themes of NNT, however, I don't think there's much unique to it that could be addressed.

Gin

High Class Warrior
Fairy Tail is absolute dogshit.

One Piece i have not watched lately, anime in particular seems boring now

Bleach isn’t really that good either(ironically, i have Ichimaru as my profile)

Latest profile posts

Father wrote on 最強のフュージョン's profile.
Bill Cosby will have the prep time that Pm. snake never had baby wooooooooo!!
Never watched that filler lol
INCORRECT, remember Princess Snake tried to sedate Goku and that shit didn't work