Scopper Gaban vs Big Mom

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Scopper Gaban in his prime as seen in the flashback. Big Mom is current. Who wins?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd give it to Big Mom. Currently, Gaban is featless and even making assumptions, it'd seem like a major stretch for Roger to have two Yonko tier subordinates prior to Oden and still not being considered to have a huge lead over the WB Pirates.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I mean it could make sense. The WB and Roger pirates fought evenly for 3 days with Oden on Whitebeard's side. Without Oden I'd have to think they would have lost rather easily. Scopper Gaban being grouped in with Rayleigh during Oden's initial charge makes me think he is in that tier of power. If you look at the Roger Pirates, the majority of them were scrubs after Rayleigh and Gaban. Maybe WB had a more balanced crew.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Rayleigh was already likely Yonko tier via-scaling, so I'd say WB Pirates + Oden would still be an even match for the Roger Pirates. Aside from WB and Oden, you have 3 fleet commanders (maybe 4 considering implications on Thatch's power) being just below Admiral tier and the rest being far below them, so Gaban could still easily be around Admiral tier or between that and Yonko tier. I wouldn't fully agree on the idea of WB's crew being more balanced when considering Curiel not oneshotting or severely damaging Base Moria at Marineford suggests that outside of the likes of Marco, Jozu and Vista, most of the WB Commanders aren't what they're hyped up to be by New World standards, and keep in mind each of them may have been even weaker or less skilled back then.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Wait who were the 3 commanders? I thought WB initially made 5 divisions with Oden commanding the second one. Wouldn't that mean Thatch wasn't in the picture yet? I'm looking at the flashback rn and I don't see him anywhere. Also I can't seem to find Vista anywhere either.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I agree with your assessment though. Scopper Gaban seems like the Sanji of the Roger Pirates. I think he should outstrip the Admirals by a little bit, but would be decently below Yonko tier.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Super Saiyan said:
Wait who were the 3 commanders? I thought WB initially made 5 divisions with Oden commanding the second one. Wouldn't that mean Thatch wasn't in the picture yet? I'm looking at the flashback rn and I don't see him anywhere. Also I can't seem to find Vista anywhere either.
Marco, Jozu and Vista were all present there (Vista lacks the moustache at the time, but his hairy chest gives him away). I thought Thatch might be there until rereading the chapter, but you're right.
That said, I'd stand by Gaban still being noticeably weaker than Yonko tier. Even together, Roger believed Rayleigh and Gaban would get injured if trying to take Oden head on. This says a lot when a Yonko such as Marineford WB still didn't seem capable of taking on more than one Admiral at a time, illness or not.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Well let's be fair here. It's pretty much established by Roger's expression and Gaban/Rayleigh's reaction that Roger wanted to test Oden himself.

xAgIgUm.jpg

Gaban looked more than happy to take on Oden, albeit with Rayleigh's support. An admiral tier fighter wouldn't have much chance against Oden, who is above all current Yonko.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Lol how wrong all of these notions became :ha

Latest profile posts

Speak for yourselves :zorc
If we could focus well we'd be doing other things
I have never been able to focus well : o