Why did VIZ change Pui Pui to Pocus?

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
"chi-chin pui-pui" is like a magic word in Japanese stories, like "bibbidi-bobbidi-boo" and "abracadabra", but we don't have that over here so it got changed to Pocus as in "hocus pocus"
Thanks! /thread

Haha. I remember Mr. Satan was changed to Hercule too. That likely come in part due to Satan and Hercule being a "fitting name" for a "champion of post OG DB humans". Is Satan a world of this weight like Hercule, in Japan? I really don't know.

Vegetto was changed to Vegerot, but I guess that couldn't be helped since they had Kakarotto as Kakarrot (which sounds better in English) so it'd be weird for someone having the VIZ as base to fathom Vegetto.

Kaioshin was changed to lord of lords I guess. And Kaio-sama to Lord of Worlds. I don't really remember if they were called Kaioshin and Kaio-sama in VIZ sometimes tho, or just the aforementioned names.

Do you remember more name changes? Just to expand the thread since the question was already answered haha

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
Lord of Lords and Lord of Worlds was always very annoying to read. Viz did use "Kaio-sama" sometimes, don't remember if it used "Kaioshin" but it probably did.

Don't remember any other name changes off the top of my head.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Lord of Lords and Lord of Worlds was always very annoying to read. Viz did use "Kaio-sama" sometimes, don't remember if it used "Kaioshin" but it probably did.

Don't remember any other name changes off the top of my head.
Kami as God, as well... With Piccolo Daimao to Demon King Piccolo haha. I guess just for a western perspective, using the names Kaio, Kaioshin, Daimao didn't sit well with VIZ translators/adaptation writers as they'd be not familiar Japanese words. Idk if Djinn was used in Japanese, but I think it was in VIZ only as well.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I feel like "god of lords" would've made more sense for Kaioshin considering the shin part literally means god

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Looked back quickly and Kaioshin is addressed as that in the VIZ, Lord of Lords seems more like a specification of what that means, though it's used often as just Lord of Lords as well.

IMG_20240617_161255.jpg
Piccolo said God to the Gods hehe, almost God of Lords

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Looked back quickly and Kaioshin is addressed as that in the VIZ, Lord of Lords seems more like a specification of what that means, though it's used often as just Lord of Lords as well.

View attachment 3833
Piccolo said God to the Gods hehe, almost God of Lords
That's just one off though, he's always referred to as the Lord of Lords after.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Sure, but at least even in VIZ his official name is Kaiô-shin
Considering they used Kami-sama verbatim idk why they had to go with that LoL bullshit. Just say Kaio-shin and have Lord of Lords of God of Lords or whatever be stated in the character bios as supplementary information or some shit lol.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Considering they used Kami-sama verbatim idk why they had to go with that LoL bullshit. Just say Kaio-shin and have Lord of Lords of God of Lords or whatever be stated in the character bios as supplementary information or some shit lol.
Well, I guess the western audience being so connected to words spoken many time, while they could just specify the meaning in the pages side is really important to VIZ haha.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Which ends up making it lame many times imo.... Not to mention the censorship of unnecessary things, like middle finger, Popo's lips, Mr. Satan (Hercule instead).... That's why they could never translate Berserk.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Haha. I remember Mr. Satan was changed to Hercule too. That likely come in part due to Satan and Hercule being a "fitting name" for a "champion of post OG DB humans". Is Satan a world of this weight like Hercule, in Japan? I really don't know.

Satan is to be a play on Santa (Claus), learned this from the old Casa do Kame channel.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
Viz arbitrarily chooses what to translate or localize and what to leave in Japanese.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
That old Japanese guy saying anime was a mistake is always funny to look at lol

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I know who he is, have watched many animated movies of his. Just didn't know his face lol

Latest profile posts

Speak for yourselves :zorc
If we could focus well we'd be doing other things
I have never been able to focus well : o