Did anybody else hate the fact...

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
That they changed the story mode style after Budoki 1? In the first game, everything played out in animation and you even got to have alternative scenarios like Vegeta going SSJ on Earth (not the best example, but still).

After that, at least for 2, they moved to the lame chess bpard style story mode. It turned me off a lot to the subsequent games.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The story mode in 3 was alright, although the character portrait cutscenes and retarded choice for characters that actually had their own story mode made it far worse than it coulda been

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
I always thought the potential to take part in alternate ending was one of the hooks to play more. Like what if Piccolo killed Initial Cell or something. Just a way to explore my favorite character. I don't think I played 3 however, or at least, I can't remember the story mode for it.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
I think Budokai 1 had the most straightforward Story Mode. Burst Limit is the closest to that.

But when it comes to creativity, I think Budokai 2 and Budokai 3 excelled in that area. I especially enjoyed the dialogue Goku has with the Androids when he encounters them. When you lose, you get additional dialogue between them sometimes. I remember when I had Goku encounter Kaioshin and lose to him. I did the same with Dabra, too. I know most people hate the board-game approach, but I liked the alternate battles it had.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Budokai's story-mode is still the best to this day. They really did it epic in that game.

Even the previous episode re-tellings, like in the series.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
That's exactly the way I was thinking about it. You really got to relive the moments, even some that didn't really happen in the show. When they moved on to the board game style map, it seemed lazy and I was disappointed. Bummer.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Southern Gothic said:
That's exactly the way I was thinking about it. You really got to relive the moments, even some that didn't really happen in the show. When they moved on to the board game style map, it seemed lazy and I was disappointed. Bummer.
Budokai, they really worked hard on. It really did seem like playing the DragonBall Z episodes, l0l.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:
Budokai, they really worked hard on. It really did seem like playing the DragonBall Z episodes, l0l.

That was the best part. Then if you beat the game, you got to go through an episode like playing as Vegeta against the Z Fighters on Earth. If you won, Vegeta gets mad and turns SSJ. That's awesome (even though that doesn't make sense just yet). But more of that stuff would have been great, like Vegeta beating Cell. Plus Vegeta looks like a boss going SSJ with the shoulder pad armor.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:

That was the best part. Then if you beat the game, you got to go through an episode like playing as Vegeta against the Z Fighters on Earth. If you won, Vegeta gets mad and turns SSJ. That's awesome (even though that doesn't make sense just yet). But more of that stuff would have been great, like Vegeta beating Cell. Plus Vegeta looks like a boss going SSJ with the shoulder pad armor.
Yeah, the story-mode made it really seem like that could have been in the show.

Something funny also about Vegeta turning Super-Saiyan, because he was the one who killed Nappa, l0l. So it was weird how he got angry about them doing that to Nappa, as if he wasn't the one who killed him. Made him seem like a real psychopath.

Also something about Yajirobe in that scene.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:

Something funny also about Vegeta turning Super-Saiyan, because he was the one who killed Nappa, l0l. So it was weird how he got angry about them doing that to Nappa, as if he wasn't the one who killed him. Made him seem like a real psychopath.

l0l

I forgot about that. Of all the things, it really didn't seem like the right time, maybe fighting Freeza would have been better, because Vegeta hated him. Nappa he was just like whatever, weak trash.
:king :king :king

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:

l0l

I forgot about that. Of all the things, it really didn't seem like the right time, maybe fighting Freeza would have been better, because Vegeta hated him. Nappa he was just like whatever, weak trash.
But it did make for some good laughs. :king :king :king

I still appreciated what they did for the story-mode.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:

l0l

Was it the third one, where they trolled Ten and Yamucha when Boo absorbs them but he is sad about it?
:troll2

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:
l0l

Was it the third one, where they trolled Ten and Yamucha when Boo absorbs them but he is sad about it?
Boo Saga wasn't in this game. It went up-to the Cell-Saga.

It was Cell who absorbed Kuririn (he wanted to absorb Android #18, but Kuririn got in the way & he got weaker because of absorbing him, l0l), and then I think Yamcha goes to fight him, it's a close fight, but Yamcha loses, I think, l0l and then Tenshinhan defeats him.

...but then Cell wakes-up, and it was all just a dream. It was in the 10 days wait for the Cell-Games, l0l.

Goddess Ultimecia

High Class Warrior
I'm glad that someone else agrees with me that the way Budokai 1 did the story was the best way of doing it in terms of presentation. That was one of the few games that got me on my toes hopping around doing unintentional calf raisers because it was blood pumping and I could get into the action shown on-screen. Showing me a portrait with some dialogue or character stills with lips moving (Budokai Tenkaichi and Raging Blast) is literally a buzzkill.

Also on another note, I think those unintentional calf raisers are the reason why I have tree trunks for calves...

Uchiha

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
Which game had the fusion between Gohan and Goku alternate story?

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:

Boo Saga wasn't in this game. It went up-to the Cell-Saga.

It was Cell who absorbed Kuririn (he wanted to absorb Android #18, but Kuririn got in the way & he got weaker because of absorbing him, l0l), and then I think Yamcha goes to fight him, it's a close fight, but Yamcha loses, I think, l0l and then Tenshinhan defeats him.

...but then Cell wakes-up, and it was all just a dream. It was in the 10 days wait for the Cell-Games, l0l.

I do remember that one l0l.

But on another, Boo absorbs Ten and Yamucha with a piece of himself, like he did Gotenks. But it was unintentional. Afterwords, he looks at himself and realizes what happened, then cries out in agony :king :king :king

@Squall, I agree 100%. I have no idea why they decided to stray away from that. Nothing came close. They got it right the first time around. Also at least you can crack walnuts with your calves thanks to that game.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
The Freeza what-if in Budokai 1 was pretty cool. He just stomps everyone, see's Goku change into a Super Saiyan, goes to 100% power in a few seconds, finishes him, wishes for immortality, blows up namek and heads to earth on his spaceship.

I played that what-if more times than I could count.

DBZetaUser2013

Southern Gothic said:
2kewl4u said:
Southern Gothic said:
l0l

That was Budokai 2. That game had awesome what if absorptions for Buu, Goku/Mr. Satan fusion, and you could play as failed fusions (was that in other games too?) among others.
Btw, i loved that glitch which lets you unlock everything easily, in... 2 minutes?

Uchiha

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
SSJ said:
Which game had the fusion between Gohan and Goku alternate story?
Does anyone remember which this one is?

Latest profile posts

Father wrote on 最強のフュージョン's profile.
Bill Cosby will have the prep time that Pm. snake never had baby wooooooooo!!
Never watched that filler lol
INCORRECT, remember Princess Snake tried to sedate Goku and that shit didn't work