Do you think Shin's power was retconned?

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Or do you think it can work just fine in universe without an out of universe explanation?

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
He is implied to be very strong in the Budokai but then seems really weak afterwards. He was mildly impressed by SSJ2 teen Gohan and then was gushing at base Vegeta killing Pui Pui...

He held SSJ2 Gohan back with his paralyzing powers but didn't attempt so Vs Pui Pui, Yakon...

@Future Warrior

Future Warrior

Elite
He is implied to be very strong in the Budokai but then seems really weak afterwards. He was mildly impressed by SSJ2 teen Gohan and then was gushing at base Vegeta killing Pui Pui...

He held SSJ2 Gohan back with his paralyzing powers but didn't attempt so Vs Pui Pui, Yakon...

@Future Warrior
Oh fuck I thought you meant Kingdom lol. Didn't realize the section.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
You can definitely make an argument for it. There are an abundance of things after the Budokai that make little sense. Here are a few:

-Gohan not using SSJ2 against Dabura and Boo.

-Kaioshin telling Kibito he never got to see the power of the Saiyans.

-Kaioshin being shocked over the ability of the Base Saiyans.

Whether you want to say Kaioshin's power specifically was retconned, or the Budokai itself, I think there is an argument to be made.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I think it’s more a matter of Toriyama writing the Boo Saga in a weird, careless way than him forgetting it/changing his mind, which makes it an inconsistency rather than a retcon (I think).

Future Warrior

Elite
I'd say it's a retcon of sorts. The funny thing that I think people don't talk about is that Toriyama has done this in less obvious ways even as far back as Part 1.

Taopaipai was still talked about in a legendary status even in the 22nd Budokai, despite the fact that many would have assumed he has been surpassed by most of the competitors in that tournament.

I'd say even Roshi may have been narratively buffed during the RRA arc, just based on some things like Goku saying to Karin that Roshi was the best fighter he ever knew (after getting stomped by Tao). And saying Goku ''may'' have already surpassed him, as though it wasn't an obvious thing.

I don't think Toriyama ever conciously thinks about these things when it happens, it's just what feels right in the moment. Roshi as Goku's mentor can't be surpassed too quickly, Taopaipai was the first major threat that decimated the protagonist, and with Kaioshin I believe he wanted him to be the weak link among the Saiyans who were steamrolling through everything, easing the tension before Majin Buu wreaks havoc.

Hector

High Class Warrior
Or do you think it can work just fine in universe without an out of universe explanation?
It was retconned from above Piccolo to below Base Saiyans, then (when he fought Buu) back to above Piccolo.

Latest profile posts

Speak for yourselves :zorc
If we could focus well we'd be doing other things
I have never been able to focus well : o