“Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods” Theatrical Program Booklet (translated)

Pakl

High Class Warrior
01-a.jpg

02-k.jpg

Comment From Original Manga Author Akira Toriyama
Apparently, it’s been 17 whole years since the last animated Dragon Ball movie! To be able to have a new work made after so many years and months have passed, I have to thank all the people who have given their support. For all the animation up to now, I’ve basically just left everything up [to the staff], so this is my first try at being involved starting from the story’s creation. At any rate, it was quite a long time ago that I drew Dragon Ball, so I had to start by working to remember it. I pulled out the comics [i.e., the tankōbon] of my own work, which it’s fair to say I never look at; and as I flipped through it, even though I’ve gotten older, as you’d expect of the original creator, I was quickly able to recapture the feeling from back then. The keywords this time, “God of Destruction Beerus” and “Super Saiyan God”, were suggestions from the scriptwriter, but they were good ideas for presenting a crisis for the main characters, who had grown so strong that they’d reached a point where there was nothing higher. I borrowed these ideas, and after first deciding on Beerus’ character design and background, I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga’s] serialization had continued. The God of Destruction Beerus, who I drew the design for myself (something I don’t usually do), is a terrifying opponent so overwhelmingly strong that he surpasses the dimension of the previous enemies. But it’s my trademark to not let things get too dark. At the very least, I’m satisfied that it’s been finished up as a very entertaining piece of work.

By the way, the battle scenes in the second half are particularly overwhelming! I was moved because the presentation exceeded my expectations. While I had expected, “It probably won’t be any good,” it was greatly different from a certain country’s live-action movie, which really was no good. Just as you’d expect, Japan’s animation is superb! Everyone on the staff, you really did a great job!!

Well, please enjoy the first Dragon Ball in a long time!

03-y.jpg

The strongest, gather!! The new strongest legend begins with a completely original story
The manga "Dragon Ball began its serialization in Weekly Shonen Jump in 1984. The original work, as well as the numerous animated TV series and movie versions, are overwhelmingly popular not only in Japan but also overseas, and are still gaining new fans. I'll never give up! I'll become even stronger! The world of Dragon Ball continues to seek out the strongest, just like the main character Son Goku. The latest work is "Dragon Ball Z God and God. Original author Akira Toriyama was deeply involved from the scriptwriting stage for the first time, creating a "real original story that inherits the flow of the original work. The story is set several years after the battle with Majin Buu, and corresponds to the period between "Dragon Ball Z and "Dragon Ball GT in TV animation. The strongest members, including Goku's former rivals and friends who fought together, gather together!! They will intercept the most powerful visitor who threatens the peace of the earth! And the mystery of the Saiyans is revealed......!! Witness the birth of a new “strongest legend”!!

04-i.jpg

Story
The God of Destruction awakens! What will happen in the ultimate battle that decides the fate of the Earth!?

Several years have passed since the fierce battle with Majin Buu. Son Goku spends his days training on North Kaio's planet. Then Kibito Kaiohshin contacts them and says, "The God of Destruction, Beerus, has awakened.
King Kai, who knows how scary Beerus is, is panicked! However, Goku is excited and wants to fight Beerus... Meanwhile, the God of Destruction Beerus, who has been in a slumber for 39 years, is woken up by his attendant Whis and says that he had a prophetic dream in which he fought against an opponent called "Super Saiyan God. In search of clues about the "Super Saiyan God," Beerus goes to meet the Saiyan Goku on Kaio's planet. Beerus and Whis arrive at Kaio's planet in the blink of an eye. The two ask about the "Super Saiyan God", but Goku has no idea. Goku wants to fight Beerus more than anything, so he challenges Beerus to a match. Beerus is amused and agrees, but even Goku, who has become a "Super Saiyan 3", is no match for his strength. Beerus and Whis then head to Earth. Meanwhile, Bulma's birthday party is being held at Capsule Corporation on Earth. When Vegeta hears the news from King Kai that the God of Destruction is coming, he also becomes impatient and trembles, knowing how terrifying he is. However, the two, who were curious about the feast lined up at the venue, were welcomed as guests by Bulma and the others who knew nothing about them. Pilaf's Gang sneaks into the venue, aiming for the Dragon Balls, and a bit of a commotion ensues, but Vegeta frantically follows Beerus to avoid angering him. However, after an argument with Majin Buu, Beerus finally explodes in anger. Goku rushes to the place where no one can stop the rampaging Beerus. Goku wishes he could become a "Super Saiyan God" and uses the Dragon Balls to summon Shenron and ask him how to do so. Will Goku become a "Super Saiyan. God" and be able to protect the Earth from Beerus' destruction...!?

05-t.jpg

06-t.jpg

Strongest Characters

Son Goku
The Strongest Man who Continues to Seek the Strongest!!

A Saiyan warrior race, he was sent to Earth shortly after his birth to exterminate mankind. He used to be mischievous, but after falling into a ravine and hitting his head, he somehow became kinder. The Saiyan's battle-loving qualities have not disappeared, and he has continued to fight against powerful enemies. And now, he meets the God of Destruction and is excited to the max!

[PROFILE]
Birthplace: Planet Vegeta
Real name: Kakarot (Son Goku was named by his foster father Son Gohan on Earth)
Hobbies: Fighting against strong opponents
Family: Wife (Chichi), two sons (Gohan, Goten)
Techniques: Kamehameha, Genkidama, Kaioken, teleportation, etc.

Kamehameha
Goku's signature move. He gathers his body's "Ki" in one place and releases it mainly from his hands! This is also a special move in this movie.

Super Saiyan
A transformation ability that allows Saiyans with high combat ability to further upgrade. In this movie, there are 3 stages up to "Super Saiyan 3".

Finally upgraded to GOD!!
In this movie, he also appears as a “Super Saiyan God”! It foreshadows the beginning of a new legend. Goku seems dissatisfied because he couldn't become one by himself.

07-t.jpg

Son Gohan
Kind-hearted and the Strongest Sense of Justice!!

Due to the influence of his educational mother, Chichi, he devoted himself to studying when he was a child.Through his training with Piccolo, his latent abilities blossomed and he acquired fighting skills that rivaled his father. He is kind-hearted and has the strongest sense of justice! In high school, he even disguised himself as an ally of justice in order to hide his strength and stifle evil!

[PROFILE]
Origin: Earth
The eldest son born between Goku and Chichi, an Earthling.
Hobbies: Reading
Family: Wife (Videl)
Techniques: Kamehameha, Masenko, Flying Technique, etc.

Great Saiyaman appears!
Great Saiyaman, an ally of justice that Gohan disguised as during his high school days, is revived as a sideshow for the movie. With a subtle sense of style, the costume that has now become legendary is still alive and well!

Son Goten
Inherit Goku's Strongest DNA!

He is exactly the same as his father, Goku, was as a child. His fighting qualities are also inherited from his father, even more so than his older brother Gohan. He is naughty and curious, and likes to play battle games with his best friend Trunks.

[PROFILE]
Origin: Earth The second son born between Goku and Chichi, an Earthling. Hobbies: Fighting against strong opponents and is good friends with Vegeta's child Trunks. Techniques: Fusion etc.

Fusion
A combination technique performed with his best friend Trunks. It is said that their power is increased several times compared to when they were alone. Go to the next page for how to do it!→

08-q.jpg

Vegeta
Unparalleled Strongest Pride!!

The prince who bears the name of his home planet is proud, and it is because of that pride that he always trains. Even on his wife's birthday, he stays in the training room, much to Bulma's astonishment. In this movie, you can see unexpected sides of Vegeta, such as his past encounter with the God of Destruction Beerus and his strange bingo dance.

[PROFILE]
Birthplace: Prince of Planet Vegeta
Hobbies: Training
Goku's eternal rival in terms of purity and the pursuit of strength.
Family: Wife (Bulma), Son (Trunks)
Techniques: Galick Gun, Big Bang Attack, Final Flash, etc.

Flying Technique
The art of flying through the air. Anyone can do it if they control their Ki. After learning that the God of Destruction was approaching, he rushed to the venue of the birthday party.

Galick Gun
An energy attack that releases the energy stored throughout the body at the enemy. Similar to Kamehameha. In the movie, he hits Beerus from close range.

The moment when he surpassed Goku!?
Vegeta's eternal goal is to become stronger than Goku. At that moment when his beloved wife was neglected by the God of Destruction and he exploded in anger, he surpassed Goku!?

09-e.jpg

Trunks
The Son of the Strongest Couple is the Strongest!!

His father is Vegeta, who has the strongest fighting spirit. His mother is a strong-willed, genius scientist, Bulma. Trunks, who grew up as a wealthy tycoon, is, quite frankly, cocky. Will Gotenks' personality, created by the combination technique with Goten, be similar to Trunks!?

[PROFILE]
son of vegeta and bulma
Techniques: Fusion etc.
There is Trunks from another dimension of the future and Trunks from the present day, but this movie takes place in the present day.

Fusion
Yay!! The Srongest! Gotenks is Born!!

Goten and Trunks "combine" and power up into one person, Gotenks! His facial features partially incorporate the characteristics of one of the two. The time limit for being Gotenks is 30 minutes!

Goten and Trunks doing Fusion images: Fu~sion!~HAA!! Make sure to place your fingertips correctly!!

Base Gotenks' design: MIX of two features!

SSjin Gotenks' design: He can even become a Super Saiyan!

10-i.jpg

Piccolo
The Strongest Master who Trained Gohan!!

He used to be Goku's biggest rival. He decides to train his son, Gohan, in place of Goku, who lost his life when they fought together for the first time in the battle with Raditz. The two have a strong bond, like a real father and son, and Piccolo is now a member of the Son family.

[PROFILE]
Birthplace: Planet Namek
An alter ego created by King Piccolo on the verge of death after he was defeated by Goku. He has a better personality and more power than his predecessor.
Hobbies: Meditation
Techniques: Makankosappo, etc.

Piccolo sings!!
The strongest Namekian man is a person who is too serious. In the movie, he sings karaoke, perhaps because Krillin encouraged him to do so. A new legend of the singing piccolo was carved.

Krillin
Goku's Best Friend is the Strongest Earthling

He is also known as the strongest Earthling because he has fought against Saiyans, Frieza, Androids etc. whose strength is beyond human comprehension. Krillin and Bulma have known Goku since the beginning.

[PROFILE]
A disciple who trained with Goku under Master Roshi.
Hobbies: Karaoke
Family: Wife (Android 18), daughter (Marron)
Techniques: Kienzan, Taiyoken, etc.

Thrusting into Bulma!!
He is good at talking and is good at poking. Even in the movie, the only person who asks Bulma her age is her old friend Krillin!

Dende
The Strongest Doctor!!

Namekian. He was almost killed by Frieza but was saved by Gohan and has supported the Earth warriors ever since. He also became the god of the earth. He has the ability to heal, and in the movie he treats Videl and notices changes in her body.

11-y.jpg

Gods and co.
There are many gods in this world. Let's introduce the gods that appear in the movie.

Old Kaioshin
Old man once served as the Kaioshin of the East. Is he currently in retirement? He has the power to bring out human potential.

Kibito Kaioshin
Manages the "East" of the four Kaioshin realms: North, South, East, and West. In the movie, he senses the movements of the God of Destruction and informs King Kai.

King Kai of the North
King Kais manage the four Kaiō worlds (galaxies) under Kaioshin. Goku is training on the planet Kaito in the north, which has 10 times the gravity of Earth.

Bubbles
A gorilla who lives with King Kai of the North. Goku's training partner.

Shenron
A giant dragon that Appears when you collect 7 Dragon Balls and chant a spell. It grants one wish of the person who summons it. In the movie, it takes a very low stance towards the God of Destruction.

Pilaf Gang
The Ambition to Conquer the World is the Strongest!!

A trio plotting to conquer the world. Although they are actually adults, once they collected all the Dragon Balls, Pilaf wished to "become younger", so they became child-sized.

Great King Pilaf
A monster-type earthling whose hobby is conquering the world. He wants to take over the world and doesn't seem to be thinking beyond that.

Shuu
The king's minion. He is a dog-shaped Earthling who pretends to be a ninja, but he doesn't seem to be able to use ninjutsu.

Mai
The king's minion. She has fighting ability, and out of the three, she has more common sense. She likes dirty jokes and is surprisingly naive towards the opposite sex.

12-j-1.jpg

Android 18
The Ultimate Cool Beauty!!

An android created by Dr. Gero. A warrior who fought against Goku and the others, but fell in love with Krillin and married him. She has a daughter, Marron.

Mr. and Mrs. Briefs
The Strongest Brain!!

Bulma's parents. He and his wife the president his wife of Capsule Corporation, a large company.

Bulma
Earth's Strongest Wife!?

Goku's companion since he first collected the Dragon Balls. She is a genius scientist who has created useful items. She is now the strongest wife that even Saiyan Vegeta is afraid of!? She is the organizer of this birthday party.

Oolong
My Love for Pants is the Strongest....

A friend who searched for the Dragon Balls with Goku. When he was in kindergarten, he stole a female teacher's panties and was expelled from the school. He lives in Master Roshi's turtle house.

Kamesennin
The Most Lewd and Erotic Hermit!!

The master who taught Goku the "Kamehameha" technique. He was known as "Muten Roshi" and was the strongest martial arts master on earth. But he's lewd. He also wants a DVD with naughty movies. He lives in a turtle house.

Bull Demon King
The Biggest and Strongest!!

Chichi's father. He was a disciple of Master Roshi and was feared for his intense power. Nowadays, he plays a role in calming down his strong-willed daughter.

Chichi
The Strongest Extremely Overbearing Wife!

Goku's wife. She is the daughter of the Bull Demon King, and has loved Goku since she was a child and was very active with him. Although she is strong-willed, she is completely in love with Goku.

13-z.jpg

Majin Boo
The Strongest Candy Lover!!

A demon created by the wizard Bibidi. He absorbs the Grand Kaioshin, who stands at the top of the Kaioshin world, and inherits his chubby personality and fondness for funny things. He's scary when he loses his temper.

Mister Satan
The Strongest Fighter!?

A world martial arts champion and a super hero. He has the specialty of making his opponents lose their will to fight with his bold actions and bluffing. He is a hero loved by people all over the world.

Videl
The Strongest Bride!!

She is Mr. Satan's daughter and has excellent fighting skills. She has a strong sense of justice, and she marries Gohan, whom she met in high school. An unexpected key person in the movie!

Pue'r
Strongest Transformation Ability!!

Formerly Yamcha's subordinate. He respects Yamcha and calls him "Yamcha-sama
. He has the ability to transform and can also use the abilities of those he transforms into.

Tenshinhan
If You Have Guts, You are the Strongest!!

A disciple of Master Roshi's rival, Tsuru Sennin. He aspired to become an assassin, but after his fight with Goku, he changed his mind. Basically, if he is serious and has guts, he won't lose!

Chiaotzu
Tienshinhan’s Strongest Partner!!

A boy with supernatural powers who loves Tenshinhan like an older brother and always works with him. Although his fighting ability is low, he is good at headbutting with his hard head.

Yamcha
The strongest big brother!!

Originally a thief. He once fought against Goku, but the difference in their abilities was too great. After that, he became a good older brother to Goku and the others. His relationship with Bulma broke up after she found out he was cheating on her.

14-g.jpg

Beerus
The Strongest GOD that the Gods Fear!!

A god who rules over birth and destruction, the destruction necessary to maintain the balance of the world. According to King Kai, he is so feared that "even Kaioshin is a little scared of him". He comes to Earth in search of the powerful enemy "Super Saiyan God he saw in his dream. He has an elegant demeanor, but when he gets into battle mode, he's deadly!

[PROFILE]
Origin: Lives in a palace somewhere in space with his attendant Whis.
Hobbies: Sleeping
Work: Destroying stars in moderation

Invincible!?
Even when Goku became Super Saiyan 3, he didn't move an inch! He recognized Goku as the second strongest of the ones he's fought so far, but who's the number 1?

15-i.jpg

Whis
Greater than the God of Destruction!? The Mystery is the Strongest!!

While taking care of Beerus, he is a mysterious person who seems to have exquisite control over the God of Destruction, who is feared even by the Kaioshins. In the movie, he does not participate in battle, and his abilities remain a mystery, but he seems to have a lot of potential, as he can travel across long distances with Beerus.

[PROFILE]
Origin: Somewhere in space
Hobbies: Eating
Job: Beerus' attendant.
Beerus has a hard time waking up, but for some reason he wakes up when Whis says "sing".

Gourmet food, complete!!
The dining table at Beerus's palace was luxurious, and Whis ate all he could at the party. The fact that he's a gourmet who cares more about the feast than he does about Beerus's destruction gives off the impression that he's a big deal.

Oracle Fish
Strongest Prophecy Accuracy!?

A mysterious fish that gives Beerus a prophecy.
He's so sloppy that he even forgets whether he made a prophecy or not, and things go exactly as Beerus planned.
As a result, the prediction came true, with a 100% accuracy rate.

16-e.jpg

17-t.jpg

Screenshot-20240509-111331-Instasize.jpg

Earth family relationship diagram gathered at a party
Bulma was the first Earthling that Goku met other than his foster parent (Son Gohan). They search for the DBs together, meet Master Roshi and Krillin, and meet Vegeta, a strong enemy... Goku, Krillin, and Vegeta now have families. We've summarized the relationships of the families in the movie "Dragon Ball Z: God and God
. We will also introduce the relationships between the gods!

Red line: couple
Blue arrow: Parent and child
Purple arrow: Master and disciple

Goku Family
Chichi, the daughter of the Bull Demon King, proactively approaches Goku and marries him. They have two boys in "DBZ. Even after becoming a father, Goku's personality, which loves fighting, hasn't changed at all.

Arrow from Goku to Vegeta: Eternal Rival

Vegeta Family

The Saiyan Vegeta appears as Goku's formidable enemy. They started fighting together after the appearance of Frieza, who destroyed Planet Vegeta, but the two are eternal rivals. Just like Goku, Vegeta's fighting style will not change even if he marries Bulma.

Krillin Family
Krillin was Goku's sibling and disciple of Master Roshi. He got a super beautiful partner named Android 18.

Goku, Krillin and Bulma: The first companions to search for the Dragon Balls

Yamcha, Tenshinhan and co. box: [Goku's former rivals]
The friends that Goku competed with during his childhood and at the Tenkaichi Budokai have long been friends with Bulma.

Pilaf's gang: [Those who are not called………………]

Relationship diagram of gods that appear briefly in movie
In the "DB" world, there is a world called "Heaven" where gods live, and there are many gods. Let's take a look at the positions of the gods who sensed the approach of Beerus, the God of Destruction.

Note: It then shows the hierarchy of the gods from Kaioshins to Kaios and Dende.

20-b.jpg

King Pilaf checks who is the strongest!! The real championship
The TV anime "Dragon Ball Z" is also filled with people worthy of the title of "strongest"! Goku has fought against powerful enemies with high fighting ability. Some of them later became Goku's friends. Since Pilaf Gang also aims to "conquer the world", of course you know about them, right? Let's introduce the legendary strongest members with pilaf comments☆

Vegeta
"Dragon Ball Z" Saiyan Edition (April 1989 - February 1990)

He came to Earth to fulfill his wish of "eternal youth and life" with the Dragon Balls.
He has such intelligence and strength that even Frieza recognizes him as a ``genius.

He was such a cool guy that he abandoned her friend Nappa (left).

Pilaf's comment: If you're smart, I can't lose either!

Freeza
"Dragon Ball Z" Frieza Edition (February 1990 - September 1991)

The evil emperor is feared throughout the universe for his ruthlessness and extraordinary fighting ability. He can transform up to his fourth form, and his power increases explosively with each transformation. He destroyed Planet Vegeta, the homeworld of the Saiyans.

Pilaf's comment: I...I won't be scared just because he erased a planet!

Artificial Humans
"Dragon Ball Z" Cell Edition (November 1991 - July 1993)

Androids created by Dr. Gero. No. 16 is based on a robot, while twins No. 17 and 18 are based on humans. They have a built-in permanent energy reactor and have strength comparable to that of a Super Saiyan. They're cool, but they also have a human heart.

Pilaf's comment: The trio... they were copying us!

Cell
"Dragon Ball Z" Cell Edition (November 1991 - July 1993)

The strongest android created by Dr. Gero. The cells of many warriors such as Goku and Vegeta are synthesized, and the abilities of each can be used in the same way. It gains power by absorbing living things.

Pilaf's comment: It wouldn't be fun to absorb me!

Majin Boo
"Dragon Ball Z" Majin Boo Edition (September 1993 - January 1996)

A demon created by the evil wizard Bibidi. He innocently enjoys the fight and eats his opponent as candy. His body can change freely and has the ability to regenerate even if it falls apart. It split into Buu with a bad heart and Buu with a good heart.

Pilaf's comment: Don't be fooled by this guy's smiling face!

Is this guy really strong!?
Master Roshi

At first glance, he is a slutty old man, but he is Goku's master and is actually a celebrity known as a martial arts master. If he fights with all his heart...he'll be the strongest!? He loves erotic books and DVDs!

Pilaf's comment: I can't lose to this erotic old man!

21-h.jpg

The true strongest is Goku after all!? This is the Super Saiyan!

Normal

Goku, who trains every day, has outstanding fighting ability even without becoming a Super Saiyan.

Super Saiyan
The combat power is about 50 times that of normal. His hair shines golden and flies up, and he goes into a mild state of mental excitement.

Super Saiyan 2
The aura surrounding his body becomes stronger and his muscles grow larger. Of course, the power and speed are also significantly increased!

Super Saiyan 3
His body will become stronger and his hair will grow longer. Just by transforming, he releases enough power to destroy his surroundings, but his energy consumption is also intense. His eyes have also become sharper and more combative!

The new evolution of Saiyans...! Super Saiyan God
The strongest Saiyan known as the "Legendary Savior". To transform, you need "Saiyans with five righteous hearts''. Goku's transformed appearance features red hair and a slimmer body than before.

A great ape appears! Be careful of Saiyans with tails!
Saiyans with tails transform into great apes when they see the full moon. Their combat power increases, and those who cannot maintain their rationality go on a rampage. Pilaf and his gang had a scary experience before when Goku became a great ape and went on a rampage.

Finally, the “strongest” likely winner appears!?
Beerus

Those who have appeared so far have become stronger by training their own abilities or absorbing the strengths of others. However, Beerus is a “god” who rules over destruction. Being strong is a natural thing. A rather reckless opponent to fight. Will Beerus be the “strongest”!?

Scared Pilaf Gang image: Pilaf Gang... get out!! This...this guy looks seriously dangerous...

Note: The next pages are a bingo quize, staff interviews and merchandise.