Dragon Ball Z live action movie

madrid357

Hello boys and girls, I want to talk about a Dragon Ball Z movie, which would possibly get positive resonance. First I want to say sorry for my English because my mother tongue isn't English.

All of you know that Dragon Ball Evolution was... :1down It could just watched if you are on drugs and/or alcohol. So yes, if I would be a Hollywood film studio I would never do again a movie based on the Dragon Ball series.

My idea is to film the Dragon Ball Z series but some cuts. The first movie would be about the fight against Raditz. The first minutes in the movie would retell Dragon Ball fast: Goku meets his friends, fight against Muten Roshi (this is the name of Roshi in Germany), Piccolo Damaio, Piccolo Junior in the tournament and his marriage to Chi-Chi. Switch. Now we can see the current Goku on Jindujun/Nimbus and also his son Gohan. They moving ahead to his friends on Kame Island with some spectacular loopings and other flying moves like over a sea - you know what I mean. Switch. You see a farmer drives a car and he is seeing something like a meteorite falling down to the Earth. He drives to the place where it came down and looking for it. You can see the Saiyan capsule is in the crater and it opens. Raditz gets out and explore the environment with his scouter - he is seeing the farmer with a power level of 5. Then the farmer asks questions who Raditz is but he doesn't answer. The farmer shoots but it doesn't affect the saiyan.

And so on...you can see that this movie is sort of a retell of the Raditz saga. No new stories, no new characters, no removing characters, but some cuts and little, very little changes because of time and action problems. The problem I see is: When should the movie ends? After 2 hours? After the fight against Raditz and Goku's arriving in the other world? I know something, the movie should contain a post-credit scene like the Marvel movies. And in this scene there would be Nappa and Vegeta on another planet talking about the Dragon Ball which make them immortal and Vegeta doesn't care about the weak Raditz. So they decide to travel to Earth so they can get the Dragon Balls.

That would be one movie of many others because I wanted to combine. First is the Vegeta/Freezer saga with 4-5 movies (Raditz | Nappa and Vegeta | trip to Namek and fight against Ginyu Force | fight against Freezer with the end that Goku won't come back for a year. Then the Cell saga with 3 movies (arriving of Freezer, King Cold and Trunks, some training parts of the Z-Warriors and the fight against the cyborgs, the first movie will end with the fight against C17 and C18 |then the coming of Cell which ends with the absorption of C17 | and then the absorption of C18, fight against Perfect Cell and then the Cell games). Boo saga will be more complicated to film because 80% are fights and nobody wants just see fights so I don't wanna say what the movies should be about. The Vegeta saga would be most possible to film.

So there would also be a discussion about the actors and the haircut. White, Japanese, a black person for Piccolo, blabla. And no, I never want to have these 2 metres of hair, but it should be seen that this is Goku or Vegeta. For marketing and money, it should be a white Goku. I can obviously see who is a Japanese in Dragon Ball Z. Really, please don't think I am a racist because of "Whitewashing" because that isn't true. Kuririn is asian of course. But yes, the Japanese setting should definitely be in this movie.

I think if I could work on a Dragon Ball Z movie for big film studios, I would get rich and there exist a great movie because I love Dragon Ball Z and I know it is possible to do some good movies. Marvel done that with their comics so also it can be done with the mangas and yes I know, mangas are drawn exaggerated. That doesn't mean the movie can't be funny with the charm of Dragon Ball Z but also been a favourite for non Dragon Ball Z fans. The bad thing is that no film studio would listen to a German student who has never done millions and millions of money with movies.

So what is missing? What else would you add to "my" idea? What else would you change? I hope the users here are more active here than on Kanzenshuu. :/

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Well how about from early dragonball to King Piccolo arc and no Majunior, or stops from 22nd Budokai where Goku would beat Tien at the end?

madrid357

Fearless Saiyajin said:
Well how about from early dragonball to King Piccolo arc and no Majunior, or stops from 22nd Budokai where Goku would beat Tien at the end?

Because it wouldn't generate enough money for the sequels and the interest isn't high enough I think, that's why I would highlight the important scenes in the introduction of the Dragon Ball Z movie. Maybe you can film DBZ and then DB as prequels like Star Wars. DBZ = more action. DB = more funny scenes.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I would say 2 hours would be the most you'd want to make it, as you don't want it dragging on just for Raditz. Depending how long the retelling of Dragon Ball would be, I could see it topping out at 1.5 hours personally.

madrid357

Super Saiyan said:
I would say 2 hours would be the most you'd want to make it, as you don't want it dragging on just for Raditz. Depending how long the retelling of Dragon Ball would be, I could see it topping out at 1.5 hours personally.

Yep that's what I think too. Retelling would be at least short because it is just an introduction.
I think 10 Minutes for the introduction.
5 minutes for Goku and Gohan on Nimbus.
5 minutes for Raditz and the farmer.
5-10 minutes for Piccolo vs. Raditz.
5-10 minutes for Goku meets his friends and introduce Gohan.
5-10 minutes for Raditz arriving on Kame Island and kidnapping Gohan.
5 minutes for Piccolo and Goku together on Kame Island.
5 minutes for Raditz and Gohan/Piccolo & Goku wanna rescue Gohan.
20 minutes for the fight Piccolo & Goku vs. Raditz.

All in all ca. 1 hour and 5 minutes to 15 minutes. So I think just Raditz wouldn't be enough for the movie because it should have 2 hours of watching and the ending shouldn't be the training of the others for the fight against the saiyans. And that's the problem what is omnipresent. You can't just have a movie with full of fighting nor a movie with boring training at the end. So in my opinion the only possibility to solve this problem is to add new things without changing the old things. Maybe some adventure with Goku and little boy Gohan before they wanna visit Goku's friends. You know, increase the excitement slow and steady.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yeah you could set it up like a regular DBZ movie. Like 20-30 minutes of "filler" until the villain appears, and the action heats up. Just make sure the filler isn't too boring I guess.

xmysticgohanx

High Class Warrior
I actually like this idea. Who's the best studio for something like this? Marvel?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I still remember the faggot that wrote the Evolution movie literally apologizing for half-assing the script so much :alex2

madrid357

xmysticgohanx said:
I actually like this idea. Who's the best studio for something like this? Marvel?

Every studio that wants to make money and would invest more than just 50 million Dollars. Okay, Deadpool had also this budget and this was great. Dragon Ball Evolution had also this budget more or less, but the script and anything else was shit. And this studio should trust the person that film the movie without saying "Go go go we want it within 1 year!".

Super Saiyan said:
Yeah you could set it up like a regular DBZ movie. Like 20-30 minutes of "filler" until the villain appears, and the action heats up. Just make sure the filler isn't too boring I guess.

Yes, exactly. I remember Lord of the Rings. THAT'S how I want to have the Dragon Ball Z movies. ONE big film cut in several pieces. One film is about the Raditz/Freezer Saga. The other film is about the Cyborgs and Cell. The last film is about the Boo Saga. And these films would be cut in pieces but with a great ending for each movie with post-credits to promote the next movie.

Future Warrior

Elite
Pretty good idea, this is basically a few ideas of having a actual good live action Dragon Ball Movie.

Dragon Ball Z (Saiyan Saga): Movie starts off with Goku saving Gohan just like the anime filler. Farmer does his job when all of a sudden a space pod crashes on earth, and dies when meeting Raditz. The rest of the events would be the same as canon to Goku dying from Raditz. I would have the Z-Fighters intense training for the Saiyan arrival play a major part in the movie, learning various new abilities and plenty of filler. Nappa and Vegeta show up and probably be a good 25 minutes of them kicking everyone's ass until Goku shows up and proceeds to kick Nappa's ass as well. Then the final fight in the movie would be the battle between Goku and Vegeta. After Vegeta is defeated they would mentions going to Planet Namek foreshadowing the events of the next film.

madrid357

Sokka said:
Pretty good idea, this is basically a few ideas of having a actual good live action Dragon Ball Movie.

Dragon Ball Z (Saiyan Saga): Movie starts off with Goku saving Gohan just like the anime filler. Farmer does his job when all of a sudden a space pod crashes on earth, and dies when meeting Raditz. The rest of the events would be the same as canon to Goku dying from Raditz. I would have the Z-Fighters intense training for the Saiyan arrival play a major part in the movie, learning various new abilities and plenty of filler. Nappa and Vegeta show up and probably be a good 25 minutes of them kicking everyone's ass until Goku shows up and proceeds to kick Nappa's ass as well. Then the final fight in the movie would be the battle between Goku and Vegeta. After Vegeta is defeated they would mentions going to Planet Namek foreshadowing the events of the next film.

The problem I see if you combine the whole Vegeta Saga in one movie is that is not enough time to include all things and you have 3 fights. Raditz vs Piccolo & Goku is shorter than Nappa vs. Z-Fighters and Vegeta vs. Goku and later Kuririn and Gohan. Too much input for one movie I think. Also I think that Nappa should kill Yamcha so no useless Saibamen, but then you change the story aa little bit, but in this case it's okay.

The Great Saiyaman

Trying to make a live action movie out of an animation is never, ever, EVER a good idea.

I never saw Dragonball Evolution (I know about it though.....), but I saw most of that Rurouni Kenshin movie.

Aside from just not being able to really pull off the over the top LOLFUCKPHYSICS element that manga/anime has, trying to cram an entire arc from a much longer story into a two hour movie is just retarded.

It annoys the fans because it leaves so much out, and the non-fans don't have any context to the characters or story.

The RK movie wasn't completely terrible though. Unlike Dragonball Evolution it was actually faithful to the source material. I'm sure they did the best that they could to tell the story in the time that they had. ...But it still felt very rushed, since, after all they were trying to cram an entire arc into one movie.

madrid357

The Great Saiyaman said:
Trying to make a live action movie out of an animation is never, ever, EVER a good idea.

I never saw Dragonball Evolution (I know about it though.....), but I saw most of that Rurouni Kenshin movie.

Aside from just not being able to really pull off the over the top LOLFUCKPHYSICS element that manga/anime has, trying to cram an entire arc from a much longer story into a two hour movie is just retarded.

It annoys the fans because it leaves so much out, and the non-fans don't have any context to the characters or story.

The RK movie wasn't completely terrible though. Unlike Dragonball Evolution it was actually faithful to the source material. I'm sure they did the best that they could to tell the story in the time that they had. ...But it still felt very rushed, since, after all they were trying to cram an entire arc into one movie.

I think you didn't read the text that other users and I wrote here and I think you just read the topic. No offence, really. I see very small differences between manga and comic. So if Marvel can film their comics then it is possible that someone can film a very good DBZ movie. Fighting scenes and Ki blasts etc. can all be edited. I remember the fight between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel. In my opinion it would be bad if a DBZ movie has just Kung Fu moves and so on. The fights in DBZ are with hard punches and kicks with counter and whatever. You must feel it when you watch it.

And no, one completely arc like the whole Freezer saga putting in one movie is impossible without leaving stuff out. So more parts than 1 for that arc. I really think about what can be cutted out and what can't. Things like the Saibamen in the Vegeta saga can be cutted out - therefore Nappa kills Yamcha. Things like all the fillers would be cutted out. It's so simple, but I don't have neither the money nor the technology nor the connections.

The Great Saiyaman

But what's the point of making it live action? Sure, you could use CGI or whatever, but it wouldn't be the same.

Everything would feel all hokey and lame.

And no, I didn't read any of that. Either way, I still feel that animated series should stay animated series.

madrid357

The Great Saiyaman said:
But what's the point of making it live action? Sure, you could use CGI or whatever, but it wouldn't be the same.

Everything would feel all hokey and lame.

And no, I didn't read any of that. Either way, I still feel that animated series should stay animated series.

Because there are fans that would watch it and would be happy about it. Just look Marvel and Disney. The movies are awesome and everyone that likes Marvel/Disney is hyped. If I could film that like a professional with millions of Dollars, I want that every real fan would be hyped for reason and after the movie 90% of the watchers should be happy to watch it. 10-15 years ago it wasn't quite possible to do that but now it is possible to let it look "realistic" and not plastic. And no, a whole CGI movie would suck.