If Path to Power had done better, would GT have continued on longer?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
According to box office records from the 90's, Path to Power only had a net distribution income of 600 million Yen, compared to Wrath of the Dragon earning nearly double that and Fusion Reborn's net income being even higher than WtD:

Had Path to Power been able to retell the rest of Dragon Ball OG and Z rather than flopping in the box office, do you think GT would have had purpose to continue on longer, and keep the franchise from succumbing to franchise fatigue?

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I don’t think they had anything to do with each other. GT had nothing more to give, and Path to Power would probably start a movie series instead.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
PtP was released when GT was still in its early stages and it borrowed GT elements like Goku's GT gi as well as using Dan Dan Kokoro Hikaraeteku as the ending song. I think if PtP had started a remake movie series that covered the PD arc and onward, GT might have gone on longer.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I thought GT was nearing the finale when PtP came out, but you’re right. PtP flopping didn’t kill GT, but if it made money they’d have no reason not to milk GT. Maybe we would’ve gotten canon DBAF? :panties

I’m not sure if the Gi change meant anything other than Toei trying to be consistent. The EoZ and GT Gi’s are a nod to the OG Gi, making them the same just makes it obvious Goku has come full circle.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I thought GT was nearing the finale when PtP came out, but you’re right. PtP flopping didn’t kill GT, but if it made money they’d have no reason not to milk GT. Maybe we would’ve gotten canon DBAF? :panties

I’m not sure if the Gi change meant anything other than Toei trying to be consistent. The EoZ and GT Gi’s are a nod to the OG Gi, making them the same just makes it obvious Goku has come full circle.
He wore the OG Gi when he met Bulma in the mountains before changing to the GT Gi. It's a clear nod to the current series airing at the time.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
GT ended after only 64 episodes because of low ratings. There might have been another movie if Path to Power did better at the box office, but GT almost certainly wouldn't have continued.

And another film retelling stuff would have been stupid. The only reason Path to Power retold stuff from the series was because it was the 10th-anniversary film. You can only retell so many things before people get bored.

Pakl

High Class Warrior
There have been 21 theatrical Dragon Ball movies since 1986-2022. Each grossed differece income and here is the rating from the highest to the lowest

1. Dragon Ball Super: Broly: 4 billion yen (Japan)
131 million dollar (worldwide)

2. Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F: 3.74 billion yen (Japan)
70 million dollar (worldwide)

3. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero: 2.51 billion yen (Japan)
100.4 million dollar (worldwide)

4. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods: 2.99 billion yen (Japan)
53 million dolar (worldwide)

While BoG did more than Super Hero in Japan, worldwide, Super Hero did almost double

5. Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors: 2.72 billion yen

6. Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Battle!! The Great Three Super Saiyans: 2.55 billion yen

7. Dragon Ball Z: The Dangerous Duo! Super Warriors Can't Rest: 2.47 billion yen

8. Dragon Ball Z: The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest: 2.38 billion yen

9. Dragon Ball Z: Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight: 2.33 billion yen

10. Dragon Ball Z: The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy: 2.23 billion yen

11. Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Son Goku: 2.21 billion yen

12. Dragon Ball Z: The Rebirth of Fusion!! Goku and Vegeta: 2.16 billion yen

13. Dragon Ball Z: Super-Warrior Defeat!! I’m the One Who’ll Win: 1.9 billion yen

14. Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest Man: 1.7 billion yen Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won’t Do it, Who Will?: 1.7 billion yen

15. Dragon Ball: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle: 1.45 billion yen

16. Dragon Ball Z: Return My Gohan!!: 1.36 billion yen
Dragon Ball Z: A Super Battle for the Whole Earth: 1.36 billion yen
Dragon Ball: The Legend of Shenlong: 1.36 billion yen

17. Dragon Ball: A Mystical Great Adventure: 1.1 billion yen

18. Dragon Ball: The Path to Power: 1 billion yen

Latest profile posts

Father wrote on 最強のフュージョン's profile.
Bill Cosby will have the prep time that Pm. snake never had baby wooooooooo!!
Never watched that filler lol
INCORRECT, remember Princess Snake tried to sedate Goku and that shit didn't work