My theory on what happened to Goku at the end of GT

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
We know that when Goku swallowed the Four Star Ball, he purified it so that the Four Star Dragon wouldn't be corrupted by the One Star Dragon's evil energy. My theory is while it was inside Goku's body, some of Shenlong's essence that was inside the ball was transferred to Goku. Once the ball came out of his forehead, the power Goku received from Shenlong's essence began to awaken. Note that the One Star Dragon was surprised by how much power Goku had in his base form ("he still has that much power left?" during Goku and Four Star's staged fight); I'm pretty sure that implies Goku was stronger than he was normally. We later see base Goku being able to push back the Minus Energy Power Ball and stop it from destroying Earth, which he certainly wouldn't have normally been able to do in base.

So, I'm pretty sure the intent was that Goku received some of Shenlong's power when the Four Star Ball was in his body. Some of that power awoke when the ball came out of his forehead. He began to release more of that power when he was trying to block the Minus Energy Power Ball and managed to stop it from destroying Earth while almost dying in the process. When Goku was on the brink of death, Shenlong offered to make him immortal so he could defeat the One Star Dragon. The sole condition was that he would have to give up his body and merge with the Dragon Balls (and by extension, Shenlong) for the rest of eternity. Goku agreed, and with his newfound immortality, he destroyed the One Star Dragon with the Universal Genkidama.

After granting one final wish to revive everyone who died on Earth that day, Shenlong took Goku to his realm and absorbed him after inserting all of the Dragon Balls into his body. 100 years later, the Dragon Balls reappear with the immortal Goku resting inside all of them. Goku only lets a few people see him like Pan and Goku Junior. He also gets permission from Shenlong to watch Goku Junior fight at the Budokai. GT's writers probably kept it ambiguous to have people guessing. They may have not exactly put this much thought into it, and a few details may be off, but this is probably more or less what happened to Goku.

Last edited:

Latest profile posts

Speak for yourselves :zorc
If we could focus well we'd be doing other things
I have never been able to focus well : o