Skill Level Ranking

xenos5

Low Class Warrior
I thought it'd be interesting to try to rank characters in something that isn't inherently quantifiable. Skill level. There are plenty of skilled martial artists in Dragonball and there are some cases where sheer skill can overcome a small power advantage (Roshi beating initial transformed Ganos by predicting his movements and redirecting him).

To keep this simple this is just ranking how good character's hand to hand combat skills are in comparison to other characters. I'm keeping it small with a ranking system of 1/10 to 10/10.

Some examples

Grand Priest: 10/10 (best fighter in the multiverse that we know of since Zeno isn't a fighter. Likely trained all of his angel children).

9.5/10 General Angel Level (All of them are trainers for the GoDs and none seem to be implied to be far above the others in skill so they're about equal until shown otherwise).

9/10 General God of Destruction level (There are more clear differences between GoDs but from the small fight we saw with 3 GoDs they don't seem to be far apart from each other skill-wise).

I hope you guys have fun with this :p . I'll be posting some more of my own thoughts on character skill rankings as, as this thread go on.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
How are we suppose to know their skills if they don't have any feats yet?

Anyway

Roshi
Krillin
Gohan/Piccolo
Vegeta
Android 17
Goku

xenos5

Low Class Warrior
Fearless 3:16 said:
How are we suppose to know their skills if they don't have any feats yet?

If you mean characters like Hermila and Prum (a long range sniper and a guy who relies entirely on his energy reflection ability) you can assume martial arts aren't their forte and rate them extremely low or not at all.

Anyway

Roshi
Krillin
Gohan/Piccolo
Vegeta
Android 17
Goku

Hm... so you think the non saiyans are more skilled in hand to hand for the most part? interesting. I don't think I agree but I can see where you're coming from on that.

Where would you rate Hit? I'm thinking I would rate him pretty highly for a few reasons (more than a thousand years old so likely more experienced than Roshi, knowledge of vital points on the body that makes his blows much more effective even on opponents he's slightly weaker than while also reducing the effectiveness of other fighters blows on him as he knows where to avoid getting hit, the way he instinctively knows the best martial arts stance to work with each version of his timeskip as it improved more and more, silent movements that can allow him to sneak up on Goku despite Goku's extremely enhanced senses, and the ability to predict his opponent that he so masterfully showed against Dyspo). Hit is definitely far more than just his special abilities. It's because of his intelligence, experience, and skill that he's able to utilize his abilities to the fullest.

KyuubiAhri

High Class Warrior
Call me stupid but on Equal power levels gotenks beats everybody.Why? The ghosts.Pretty much everybody will be stupid enough to fall for it

xenos5

Low Class Warrior
KyuubiAhri said:
Call me stupid but on Equal power levels gotenks beats everybody.Why? The ghosts.Pretty much everybody will be stupid enough to fall for it

I don't think Hit would.

But that's besides the point. This thread is about ranking hand to hand martial arts skill rather than skill with special abilities.

xenos5

Low Class Warrior
KyuubiAhri said:
I think vegito.

What do you mean? Are you saying you think Vegito would rank high martial arts skill-wise?

I'd still have him below the level of an Angel's martial arts. The automatic reflexes thing Whis has tried to teach Goku and Vegeta (and admits that even Beerus hasn't mastered) is something he has over the both of them.

KyuubiAhri

High Class Warrior
i mean besides the angels and what you have mentioned

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
The Daishinkan and angels aside from Whis are primarily hype for now. Sure, we could assume the angels have the same level of skill as Whis and that the Daishinkan's skill superiority should be proportionate to his power, but that's yet to be actually proven. I wouldn't say the Hakaishin should be that high either. All we've seen from them are feats of raw might from Beerus. On equal levels, I'd say most of the U7 team have presented martial skill of far better quality.

xenos5

Low Class Warrior
Captain Cadaver said:
The Daishinkan and angels aside from Whis are primarily hype for now. Sure, we could assume the angels have the same level of skill as Whis and that the Daishinkan's skill superiority should be proportionate to his power, but that's yet to be actually proven. I wouldn't say the Hakaishin should be that high either. All we've seen from them are feats of raw might from Beerus. On equal levels, I'd say most of the U7 team have presented martial skill of far better quality.

Eh... Beerus and the other GoDs have been training with Angels far longer than Goku and Vegeta have with Whis. I think that counts for something. Especially when only a few months of Whis training was all it took for Goku and Vegeta to reach blue.

Being the dad of all the angels Daishinkan is most likely to be the one who trained them all. They weren't just born with the level of martial arts prowess they have now, i'm pretty sure. I think it is fair even aside from hype (the top 5 fighter in the multiverse statement) to place him above them skill-wise.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Do Vegeta's strategies, like the one used to steal the DBs at the Namek saga, as well as his perfect bluff against Dr. Gero count as skill? I'd say an estrategy is also rather important in a fight and can easily tip the scales in a battle royal like this, wherein everyone is fighting everyone.

If it doesn't, the I'd say the angels are the ones with more prophyciency to a hand to hand combat due to the mastery of "moving without thinking", to which it seems even Beerus still has a considerable way to go. This ability would completely tip the scales in a "equal power levels hand to hand" combat and is a developed version of the "predicting your opponents' movements", which Roshi used to deal with that Bird guy. Since Beerus still seems to master this ability to a greater extent than Goku and Vegeta, I'd say it goes like this (as far as prophyciency in h2h goes):

Angels
Hakaishins
Goku and Vegeta (Whis at least introducced this method to them, and it was stated in the last chapter of DBS that Vegeta has been improving it quite well).
Roshi/Piccolo

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Captain Cadaver said:

Beerus also didn't master a calm fighting style yet like Whis said many times in the series. What do you think about it?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
xenos5 said:
Eh... Beerus and the other GoDs have been training with Angels far longer than Goku and Vegeta have with Whis. I think that counts for something. Especially when only a few months of Whis training was all it took for Goku and Vegeta to reach blue.

Being the dad of all the angels Daishinkan is most likely to be the one who trained them all. They weren't just born with the level of martial arts prowess they have now, i'm pretty sure. I think it is fair even aside from hype (the top 5 fighter in the multiverse statement) to place him above them skill-wise.
Amount of training means little compared to actual feats of skill, especially when the example you presented was purely power based. Not only that, but as Fearless already mentioned, Beerus was unable to learn how to fight purely on instinct, whereas Goku already seemed close to developing the basics of it against Hit's Time Leap.
Whilst I agree for the most part, I'd still say it's too undefined at the moment to say all the angels have the same level of skill. I can agree with Daishinkan's skill likely being above Whis', but we don't know by how much, or if Whis' experience is purely from his father's teachings.

Beerus also didn't master a calm fighting style yet like Whis said many times in the series. What do you think about it?
Already mentioned this above, but considering Goku's use of estimating where Hit would be during the Time Leap seems like it's closing in on the basics of fighting on instinct, I'd say it's a definite sign of Goku being a greater fighting prodigy than Beerus.

xenos5

Low Class Warrior
Hit and Roshi have probably got the best skill feats in this tournament.

Roshi redirecting Ganos despite Ganos being stronger and faster due to his skill and experience.

And Hit adapting to Jiren's punch timing to the point he could consistently block punches from Jiren despite Jiren's superior strength, speed, and his own high level of skill (since he could match up against UI Goku in martial arts). Pulling off a surprise attack due to this memorization of Jiren's timing. And even still managing to block Jiren's punches after being drained from using his Time Lock technique to the point Jiren just gave up on punching and switched to his eye beams.

Latest profile posts

aLWPZLM.jpg
That’s because you’re nice @Theallpowerfulpuipui