SSJ with red eyes?

Future Warrior

Elite
Toriyama once drew art for Movie 5 and strangely depicted a SSJ Goku with red eyes.

EB4LhMpXYAEyLPv.jpg

How would you feel if instead of SSJ having light green eyes, they had red instead? Here's some examples..

latest
mxLxNIN.gif
0972ee36a51b152cbb6f0802c0fd6b7d.jpg
SuperSaiyanRedEyes4.jpg
SuperSaiyanRedEyes5.jpg

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I think it would've damaged the design a bit. A key point of its early usage is it being suggested Goku's pure heart is what allowed him to be different and achieve what other Saiyans could not. Giving it a typical "evil" look of red eyes would miss the point a bit. It wouldn't be an issue with Vegeta, though I'd prefer red eyes to be exclusive to him if that were the case.

As for why Toriyama chose red eyes, it's probably due to him not being entirely consistent with colour schemes such as far Gohan's gi in the Saiyan Arc, giving it its iconic purple in most pieces yet drawing it as green in some others.

Future Warrior

Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
I think it would've damaged the design a bit. A key point of its early usage is it being suggested Goku's pure heart is what allowed him to be different and achieve what other Saiyans could not. Giving it a typical "evil" look of red eyes would miss the point a bit. It wouldn't be an issue with Vegeta, though I'd prefer red eyes to be exclusive to him if that were the case.

I don't think it misses the point at all. Aggression is a natural side effect of the transformation which sometimes plays a part in their actions, especially during Goku's first usage of it and it's even more noticeable with Gohan in SSJ2. It can even said that the form is a dark reflection of themselves. That's why the Genki Dama can't be made while using that state.

It isn't like I have no basis that this is what the author intended. Toriyama purposely drew the speech bubbles for the Super Saiyans as being more rigid than the rounded ones in their base forms (despite the fact that he stopped doing it later on). It sets the idea home of the Saiyans being a race of villains, which is part of their genetics regardless of their personality.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Looks very aggressive, almost demonic like. I’d say it’s cool but edgy and I still prefer the blue/green eyes and the pure feel they give.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Future Warrior said:
I don't think it misses the point at all. Aggression is a natural side effect of the transformation which sometimes plays a part in their actions, especially during Goku's first usage of it and it's even more noticeable with Gohan in SSJ2. It can even said that the form is a dark reflection of themselves. That's why the Genki Dama can't be made while using that state.
That is true, though Goku's speech and Kuririn's assumptions brought about the idea that a pure heart played a role, something not really reflected with the red eyes. I could go with the idea of the red eyes being part of the initial version of the form and green being present in the mastered version of it, however.
Regardless, I can see why Toriyama chose not to go with it, considering Goku's primary foe at the time (Freeza) also having red eyes would make things too similar.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Could see it working with Baby Vegeta and the other infected Saiyans during the Baby Arc, since these pictures give off a mind-control vibe.

Zippy

Super Elite
It only looks decent in the movie 5 art itself amongst these pics imo