SSJ2 Gohan: Rage boost during the beam struggle?

Future Warrior

Elite
efs9px.png

I think he did.

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
Goku just told him to stop holding back and release all his POWA there. It's hard to say, it'd be kind of weird if he did get a rage boost since that would imply he had control over his anger and could've used that power whenever.

Future Warrior

Elite
Paladin said:
Goku just told him to stop holding back and release all his POWA there. It's hard to say, it'd be kind of weird if he did get a rage boost since that would imply he had control over his anger and could've used that power whenever.

Maybe he was only able to get a rage boost via by chance before, that may change now though and he can access it just by choosing to get angry.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
I think the final burst could've been a rage boost, or rather all of his power. The logical part of Gohan thought he was going all-out, while Goku had to remind him that he was subconsciously holding-back. He was still using the same amount of power until Goku yelled out once Vegeta exploited Cell. I kinda believe Gohan just let go and released all of his power there. Gohan's real power usually shows itself when he gets pissed and loses reason, so by letting it all go, he'd have no reason to believe the Earth would be damaged. Once he did that, he was able to use all of his power in that KMHMH.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Considering Vegeta saying there's no telling how strong he could get if he flew into a frenzy, I'd assume it was. Giving Gohan a rage boost also helps the scaling for the Boo Arc, since we're given statements that Goku and Majin Vegeta are just barely above this Gohan, yet also an implication that Pre-Majin Vegeta ~ Cell Games Gohan.

Future Warrior

Elite
Let's lay down the evidence...

So one of the arguments for Gohan simply releasing 100% of his power is that Goku said Gohan was still holding back his power.

Chapter: 416 (DBZ 222), P7.2, P8.1-2
Context: as Gohan and Cell’s Kamehamehas clash
Goku: “Hang on! Hang on, Gohan! You ain’t putting out all your power yet! Make your power explode!”
Gohan: “I’m doing it at full force…! Any more than this is…”
Goku: “Somewhere in your mind you’re thinking of the damage to the Earth! Don’t worry about it! We’ll undo the damage with the dragonballs!”

However, Gohan himself has already said he was going to use full power. There is no reason to assume otherwise, considering Gohan should be well aware of the power he is currently yielding. Rather, Goku saying to use all of his power is referring to power brought on by rage. This is supported by the fact that Gohan says ''Any more than this is'' after already establishing that he's using full force, so Goku is talking about a power that is beyond Gohan's current capacities.

Gohan afraid of just using full power (Within his own limits) wouldn't make sense in the slightest. He had no problem using earlier when clobbering Cell, so why now? The Kamehameha shouldn't really play a factor in this, since even Vegeta had the self-control of avoiding destroying the earth with his Final Flash that wasn't even shooting upwards. The power that Gohan is trying to avoid rather, is the power that he gets while enraged. He looses control of himself in this state, his Saiyan mind taking over, which can cost the lives of the very people he is trying to protect.

Evil Vegeta said:
I think the final burst could've been a rage boost, or rather all of his power. The logical part of Gohan thought he was going all-out, while Goku had to remind him that he was subconsciously holding-back. He was still using the same amount of power until Goku yelled out once Vegeta exploited Cell. I kinda believe Gohan just let go and released all of his power there. Gohan's real power usually shows itself when he gets pissed and loses reason, so by letting it all go, he'd have no reason to believe the Earth would be damaged. Once he did that, he was able to use all of his power in that KMHMH.

All your power in this context doesn't have to only mean the power that Gohan is capable of within his capacities.

Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P4.4-6
Goku: “Ah! Wait, Gohan. I have 2 more senzu; you should eat 1. You used up a lot of stamina earlier. [ ] Get angry, Gohan…Remember how you got angry and fought Cell, and draw out all of the power you have. If you do that, you won’t lose to anyone in the entire world! Not to
anyone…

Chapter: 405 (DBZ 211), P10.4, P10.6
Goku: “…Wait for Gohan to get angry…! He’ll…probably…unleash his true power through anger, and suddenly display ferocious strength [ ] …To defeat Cell…The only thing we can do is place our hopes in this power of Gohan’s…”

Chapter: 461 (DBZ 267), P3.5-7
Context: after Kaioshin says they must run from Boo
Gohan: “…Is that so?...He really does have tremendous ki, but…It doesn’t seem like so much so that there’s nothing I can do…[ ] …If I can only put out all of my true power…”

Just for support, the anime and the Daiz even agree with this notion.

In the anime, Gohan recalls the moment when finishing Cell of with Kamehameha while contemplating on Goku's advice to get angry like he did against Cell.

As for the Daiz...

Daizenshuu 2:
While by nature he has a calm personality and isn't interested in fighting, when he loses his reason his true power explodes.

Gohan lost his reason to hold back, and so his true power awakens, which is what what happened at the end of the beam struggle.

Daizenshuu 2:
148.jpg

148 - Gohan vs Revived Cell
Vol. 35 / Chp. 414
Through Goku's sacrifice, Cell's self-destruction that was gong to engulf the entire Earth was prevented. However, Cell managed to revive back into his complete-form even after having spit out No. 18. Cell tried to blow away the entire Earth, but a heartbroken Gohan is encouraged by Goku in the afterlife, and in his Kamehameha struggle with Cell he puts forth his strongest power.

According to the Daiz, he puts out his strongest power when firing his Kamehameha. So what Gohan used at the end certainly isn't a power that he's been using the whole time.

Daizenshuu 2:
Goku's encouragement reaches a resigned Gohan. And then, the greatest final Kamehameha annihilated Cell.

The ''strongest'' Kamehameha. So the Kamehameha that he shot Pre-Zenkai Cell with wasn't as strong as the one that killed Cell.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
Well, we know the KMHMH used against Cell earlier was inferior to the Final KMHMH considering a weaker Cell wasn't obliterated. Gohan's KMHMH was bigger, but definitely held-back.

I don't actually disagree with any of that. I've always said Gohan let go in that final moment and put out all of his power. Goku said "show me the power we created one last time", so we know he's referring to Gohan's actual true power rather than -50% of it. That's why the whole, -50% Gohan>Cell stuff is stupid.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
What i make of Buu statements is that Gohan could get back the power he'd lost by slacking off if he
got angry. At Cell Games, there is not rage boost on the top of SSJ2.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
withheldforprivacy said:
What i make of Buu statements is that Gohan could get back the power he'd lost by slacking off if he
It wouldn't make much sense for it to only come to that level of power if Goku bothered to say "If you do that, nobody can beat you", when his SS2 form would still be superior to Gohan.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
Captain Cadaver said:
withheldforprivacy said:
It wouldn't make much sense for it to only come to that level of power if Goku bothered to say "If you do that, nobody can beat you", when his SS2 form would still be superior to Gohan.

So, Enraged SSJ2 Gohan>SSJ3 Goku?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Not in practice, but in potential depending on the situation/plot demanding it. My point is that the statement implies Goku's statement leans towards there being two stages of SS2 Gohan's power seen within the series through rage.

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
If you don't think about it it's a rage boost. If you over analyze it, it can be anything you want it to be.

Latest profile posts

If we could focus well we'd be doing other things
I have never been able to focus well : o