The Word "Saiyan" Was Literally Conjured Up From The Word "Vegetable?"

Sovran Nila

High Class Warrior
Sovereign Master of Spamifestation
"For example, the one in control of the Saiyans and other villainous aliens is Frieza. Strictly speaking, Frieza is “freezer”, but I envisioned a refrigerator when I named him. So, I grouped the names according to foods that go inside it. The Saiyans are vegetables [yasai, “vegetables”], and the Ginyu Force are dairy products [gyūnyū, “cows’ milk”], like that."
— Akira Toriyama - Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume interview

Is this considered genius and creative, or dull and lazy?

Cirno777

Low Class Warrior
I'd say it's a more interesting or fun way to name characters, it's now my favourite way to name characters, I just go into my kitchen & pick items on the counter & in the cupboards & inside the fridge at random.

Warmmedown

Elite
It's hard to come up with loads of names from nothing. I think it's fine, although names based on something more profound might be cooler. But it did teach me that gohan means rice/dinner.

You could choose what to eat based on DB/Z/GT/Super characters. https://spinthewheel.app/dragon-ball-characters
I got Launch/Lunch lol. That's not useful.
Got Master Roshi. Turtle for dinner, or maybe I can use that one to decide to go to the aquarium.

Sovran Nila

High Class Warrior
Sovereign Master of Spamifestation
It's hard to come up with loads of names from nothing. I think it's fine, although names based on something more profound might be cooler. But it did teach me that gohan means rice/dinner.

You could choose what to eat based on DB/Z/GT/Super characters. https://spinthewheel.app/dragon-ball-characters
I got Launch/Lunch lol. That's not useful.
Got Master Roshi. Turtle for dinner, or maybe I can use that one to decide to go to the aquarium.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 00.34.25.png

Warmmedown

Elite
Vegetables and bananas (Goku/Sun Wukong). Then go for a zoo outing and throw broccoli at the monkeys.

Hector

High Class Warrior
"For example, the one in control of the Saiyans and other villainous aliens is Frieza. Strictly speaking, Frieza is “freezer”, but I envisioned a refrigerator when I named him. So, I grouped the names according to foods that go inside it. The Saiyans are vegetables [yasai, “vegetables”], and the Ginyu Force are dairy products [gyūnyū, “cows’ milk”], like that."
— Akira Toriyama - Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume interview

Is this considered genius and creative, or dull and lazy?
It is what someone like Majin Nila would do.

Latest profile posts

Same. RIP to your brother Yoshi.
Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.