Why Are The Rosters So Thin?

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Global Moderator
Some Dragon Ball games (mainly the Budokai Tenkaichi series) have had insane rosters, with Budokai Tenkaichi 3 being unmatched to this day, and possibly with too many characters. It seems as if they did 20 iterations of each Saiyan and added every insignificant character one could possibly think of. Those were the days.

Rosters in recent memory have been lacking in comparison. 2008's Burst Limit had like, 21 characters. I suppose that's understandable due to the relatively new hardware of those days, but that roster still sucked.

Raging Blast was better, hitting somewhere between 40 - 70 if memory serves correct, but still trash compared to BT3's 150+

Raging Blast 2 hit 90, which was cool, but again it was still lacking.

Ultimate Tenkaichi was the biggest WTF. I remember being on F and participating in the discussion back in 2011, and everyone hated the count. I think it was 48 or something like that. How did it fall so low?

I haven't kept up with recent games, but I've heard Xenoverse 2 excludes some forms of Freeza, Broly, Cell and whatnot, which is just bizarre to me. Why would they do this? There is really no excuse.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I personally don't have a problem as long as the game's good. Other than if important characters are left-out. :trump :trump :trump

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
They don't have Gotenks Boo or Gohan Boo either. No Dabra, no freaking SS Blue transformation for your create a character, but they do have the all important Jaco!

:sure

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Global Moderator
The retelling of the manga really suffers if Freeza, Cell, Boo and whatnot are missing transformations.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
They'll probably have more for DLC. I know they're releasing Super Saiyan Rose for Black later on.

Future Warrior

Elite
The BT Games had characters that were completely pointless. Like cmon, Kid Chi Chi, really? All the characters in that game felt the same anyways. I'm fond of mostly Xenoverse 2's roster, with over 75 characters with diverse move set. The Amount of Characters don't make a game good.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Much like Future Warrior said, it's a case of quality over quantity in current DB games. Raging Blast 2 probably had the best balance of both factors, as each character had pretty unique or varied combo strings with a solid roster, with no characters feeling unnecessary (other than the fanservice SS3 Broly and Vegeta).

Tenkaichi 3 had a fairly good combo system, but it was clear that with many of the characters special attacks, they were trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill with adding many who had little battle exposure on-screen, such as Yajirobe, Kid Chichi and Artificial Human #8.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Not too mention several clone characters like Goku (early) (mid) (end) with him ending up having two separate SSJ forms and Vegeta having much of the same issue. Shit, they might as well have added DB era Yamcha w/ sword the way they were going at it.

I haven't played any of the console games after Burst Limit admittedly, but Xenoverse/2 seems to have the most ideal balance with there not being as few characters as Burst Limit which almost felt like an HD Budokai 1 (with the ubiquitous faggot Broly shoehorned in), and still allowing for diverse movesets and whatnot. BT3 was just clone central which made me bored of the game within an hour

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
To be fair, the Goku and Vegeta clones did have different combos and movesets, though had the Tenkaichi games chosen to go the route of their predecessors and successors by having customisable special movesets, it would've indeed been pointless.

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
I enjoyed Raging Blast 2 quite a bit mostly for the reasons you said. The little accessories you could change like auras and such before a match were really cool too.

Xenoverse 2 has a lot of cool ideas but has its issues. Quite a few of the missions are grindy and tedious, and I wish I could edit health and other things for Offline 1 v 1 CPU.

Latest profile posts

Now I'm permabanned from GameFAQs lol. End of an era
Get what deserved unfort
Got suspended from GameFAQs again lol smh