Why Does Gohan Wear Glasses?

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Doesn't make sense to me since he doesn't have a vision problem. Is he trying to be like Clark Kent or something?

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Out-of-universe-wise, an attempt to make him look more 'professional'. Same thing with President Trunks of Capsule Corporation (GT).

02-03.jpg

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
The Potara catch fail was plot-induced stupidity, above all else.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Who to say he doesn't? Vision problems aren't necessarily a problem from birth.

Spiral-Force said:
The Potara catch fail was plot-induced stupidity, above all else.

I think it's just to show how slow/dumb he is. That always reminds me of him almost being hit by a rock Goten threw.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Given that Toriyama tried to make Goku as Supes's clone, I wouldn't be surprise if he tried to make Gohan as Clark Kent though. :troll

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
GreatSaiyaman123 said:
I think it's just to show how slow/dumb he is. That always reminds me of him almost being hit by a rock Goten threw.
The way it was carried out appears exaggerated though. Earlier in the arc, Gohan caught multiple tiny bullets from a closer range with a shorter amount of time to anticipate the projectiles. And in the scene you brought up, it didn't take long for Gohan to become fluid in dodging loads of rocks at once. And let's not forget that Goten threw those rocks at a fast speed, while Goku threw the earring at a more casual speed and was more distant from him. Not to mention Ultimate Gohan is supposed to be far better than his pre-ritual self.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Do we know he has perfect vision? Specifically towards the end of Z.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Damon Gant said:
If a weaker version of him can easily react to bullets and dodge opponents that are at least hundreds of times faster than sound, he'd need a very compelling reason as to why reading is an even greater challenge.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Captain Cadaver said:
Damon Gant said:
If a weaker version of him can easily react to bullets and dodge opponents that are at least hundreds of times faster than sound, he'd need a very compelling reason as to why reading is an even greater challenge.

He never dodged bullets at EoZ. Besides he can hear bullets coming his way, but he can't hear words.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Damon Gant said:
He never dodged bullets at EoZ. Besides he can hear bullets coming his way, but he can't hear words.
I highly doubt he became weaker than his Boo Arc self from just those 3 extra years of slacking off when the gap between his Boo Arc and Ultimate self are obviously far greater than that between the former and his Cell Games self. Reactions correlating with battle power has been quite a constant throughout the series.

Maybe hearing was a factor in his feats, but I wouldn't say it's the primary one when he slacked off so tremendously, at least not to the level of making that much of a difference in his capacity of vision.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
It's very often stated that ki users don't often rely on their eyes to react. Piccolo says this to Gohan during the Saiyan arc and Goku mentions it at least once when fighting Yakon in the dark. Even in Super does Gohan fight someone literally blind. Having poor eyesight is a not a factor in fighting well against people.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Whilst that is true, we also have to remember that Gohan was very rusty during the Boo Arc and a lot of his actions during the fight with Dabura suggest him to have been relying more on sight at the time, such as being surprised at Dabura's afterimage, not to mention it's heavily implied the main cast couldn't sense Dabura's Ki and it definitely didn't seem as though Gohan was relying on hearing during the battle like Goku was against Yakon.