Anyone here read AF?

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
I've got a couple of the original Doujinshi. The ones with Ize by YoungJiji, I believe.

They are still in Japanese. Bought them mostly for the artwork. But I see now that the English versions are now on ebay, done by Herms. And for much, much cheaper.

Was thinking about giving it a read. Anyway, I wanted to open a discussion about it to here what you guys thought of it.

Dragon15

Yes, I read them online. I am waiting for the other story made by the same author dbafter who happens before gt.

FutureProtagonist

Low Class Warrior
I've read them. They're fine. They've got fighting.

Youngjiji's version has the craziest powerscaling. Ize is said to be "10 times stronger than Freeza", but he's also stronger than SSJ4 Gohan.

Of course, he's the same character as Freeza and Cooler, so nothing particularly interesting.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
FutureProtagonist said:
I've read them. They're fine. They've got fighting.

Youngjiji's version has the craziest powerscaling. Ize is said to be "10 times stronger than Freeza", but he's also stronger than SSJ4 Gohan.

Of course, he's the same character as Freeza and Cooler, so nothing particularly interesting.
That's all I'm really expecting. I've got a decent idea of what happens in the first few chapters, just based off the visuals.

Honestly, I only bought it to see SSJ3 Vegeta. So my bar isn't totally high on this one.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Also, do you guys prefer Toyble or YoungJiji's version? I am only familiar with the latter, so that's the one I'm sticking with.

FutureProtagonist

Low Class Warrior
It's a tossup. The villain in Toyble's AF is just a dumb villain Sue (Wow! He's Goku's brother and he's half god and he's Super Saiyan 5. Wow!), while the villain in Youngjiji's is unoriginal, but serviceable. Toyble tends to use secondary characters better (Kibitoshin and Trunks do things that are useful!).

They're quite similar, though. Both of them have SSJ4 Gohan and SSJ5. Youngjiji uses SSJ5 better (kind of), but they're both rather plain.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
FutureProtagonist said:
It's a tossup. The villain in Toyble's AF is just a dumb villain Sue (Wow! He's Goku's brother and he's half god and he's Super Saiyan 5. Wow!), while the villain in Youngjiji's is unoriginal, but serviceable. Toyble tends to use secondary characters better (Kibitoshin and Trunks do things that are useful!).

They're quite similar, though. Both of them have SSJ4 Gohan and SSJ5. Youngjiji uses SSJ5 better (kind of), but they're both rather plain.
They did seem rather similar. Enough so that it took me some time to start to differentiate. If you don't mind giving me some more info, what happens a bit down the road. I know they bring in Broli, and I haven't seen Goku at all in the issue I have. How does that fit in?

Sorry, I'm not trying to have you narrate the entire plot. I'm more unfamiliar where the series goes after the first few issues.

FutureProtagonist

Low Class Warrior
I'm actually not familiar with that. I pretty much only read the first arcs of each one. The last thing I remember from Toyble's AF is that Vegeta trained for 100 years (or whatever) in the Suuuper RoSaT and he beats up the villain really easily in base and stuff. I didn't get very far because I couldn't find an English translation.

The last thing I remember from YoungJiji's is Gohan going Super Saiyan 5 after Pan dies and killing Ize.

Wow, there's a shitload of Youngjiji stuff. I had no clue. It's safe to say that I have really no clue about it either.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I read the first few chapters of the version done by Toyble several years ago, up until a few chapters after Kibitoshin self destructs to kill West Kaioshin. Can't say it was anything interesting since, like most DB fanfiction, it panders more to the aspect of showing characters in forms they didn't achieve in the series and uses that as it's selling point, much like DBH. For instance, Gohan gets SS4 out of nowhere and Xicor being an asspull in itself.

Uncle Goten

Low Class Warrior
I've read Toyble's AF manga, didn't even know there was another fan manga. Is it worth reading?

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Uncle Goten said:
I've read Toyble's AF manga, didn't even know there was another fan manga. Is it worth reading?
I only have the Japanese books. I've read a couple online. I like it, and most people seem to be putting them on the same level of quality. Art is great, of course. Like I said, I got it soley to see SSJ3 Vegeta kick some ass. And he did. For a minute.

Still considering getting a few of the translated versions. Don't really like reading them online.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Wait, Toyotaro's didn't even get to Goku making it to earth before it went on "hiatus", did it?

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.