Did The Existence of the Namekian Dragon Balls Ruin the Evil Dragons Arc?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I honestly never saw any tension in the Evil Dragons arc what with there being another, more powerful set of Dragon Balls just one Kai Kai away. Considering they wished back the Earth for the second time after the Baby arc, exactly where is the tension, especially when only Si Xing Long and Yi Xing Long managed to be any sort of a challenge to Galu? I guess if assuming 130 days hadn't passed since they wished back the Earth the Namekian DBs might have been inert (although even that's doubtful when they only granted one wish), but I always found it ridiculous that Toei didn't involve the Namekian DB's in the Evil Dragons arc when that was planned to be the final arc in all of Dragon Ball. It would've been much better if Yi Xing Long or somebody else swallowed up the Namekian Dragon Balls as well.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
But what could the Namekian DBs do to help their situation? Regardless of if earth was destroyed, someone would still have to be able to beat Yi, San and Si Xing Long, otherwise they could do the same to Namek.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd say there was still tension when Yi Xing Long's minus energy being capable of reaching the Kaioshinkai put Kibitoshin at risk, plus it could be that the minus energy's properties may have made it something a wish couldn't restore if used to corrode an object to nothing (though Toei should've confirmed that to make it more of a permanent threat), not to mention using a set up DBs that can grant wishes near three times as fast and at three times the standard amount may make them greater targets if attempting even a single wish.

I do agree that the Namekian Dragon Balls should've had some role in the arc, though the premise of it being just the Earth's Dragon Balls to make the conflict more personal was serviceable.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Super Saiyan said:
But what could the Namekian DBs do to help their situation? Regardless of if earth was destroyed, someone would still have to be able to beat Yi, San and Si Xing Long, otherwise they could do the same to Namek.

Well, even if assuming Yi Xing Long was so powerful not even Gogeta could defeat him (hypothetically), it'd still leave him vulnerable to some asspull like the universal Genki Dama. And whatever way he is defeated, and even if the Dragon Balls were destroyed with him (which he should've threatened to stop Galu from throwing the Genki Dama, honestly), that wouldn't mean shit due to Porunga just being able to wish everything back.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I see your point. I guess if Goku/Vegeta were revived they could fuse again and defeat YXL. Never really thought about that tbh. But yea, I'd be curious to see if the DBs could stop the spread of negative energy. Perhaps it could reach Namek before they were even aware of the situation.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
If I were to rewrite the arc I'd make it so the Evil Dragons only left behind their 4 weakest members on Earth to distract the heroes while the more powerful three reach New Namek, and Galu injures himself badly killing the first four forcing Vegeta to achieve SSJ4 along with Gohan via the Bruits Wave machine to try and thwart the more powerful dragons. Galu spends that time recovering, teleports to New Namek and then fuses with Vegeta to take on the Evil Dragon who's swallowed all fourteen Dragon Balls.

Hell, you could even take it one step further and have the Evil Dragons wish back Piccolo to gain the Ultimate Dragon Balls as well.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.