Dragon Ball Z movies compatable with the original story.

hatchiyack

First we start with the first movie, Dead Zone.
This fits perfectly in the story, fits before the first episode of Dragon Ball, before the fight against the Raditz,because Goku did not have Kaioken or Genki Dama, a small problem is that Piccolo and Kuririn appeared to know the little Gohan they only know in the first episodes of Dragon Ball.
The next is the
Fifth movie Cooler's Revenge, we could fit in the 3 years before the fight against the androids, why had already happened the fight of Goku and Freeza, yes, really there are many doubts about how Goku does not turn Super Saiyajin easily, Besides he does not use the teleportation, but taking away those small doubts yes, we can fit in the 3 years.
Now is the eighth movie "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan".
It's time to fit in the 10 days before the cell games, it's long enough and the warriors had already finished training in the time room because of the reason Gohan had the SSJ transformation, and Cell was not going to threaten anyone because he was only thinking about Cell Games.
The ninth movie "Bojack Unbound".
Fits perfectly after Cell games, because of the death of Goku and Gohan with the transformation of SSJ2
Now is the tenth movie "Broly - Second Coming", the return of the great warrior Broly.
Goku was still dead, Goten and Trunks already had the SSJ transformation, there is a question that surrounds this movie, how did Goten know him if he met him in the tournament? He could see it in old photos and videos of the family.
Now the last movie on the thirteenth Dragon Ball Z list "Wrath Of The Dragon".
This is the easiest movie to fit because it happens perfectly after the buu saga.

Note: I do not know how to speak English very well, so sorry if I miss many words, and if you do not agree with something please answer here in a friendly way, thank you.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Shouldn't that be on the "Broly and GT section?" Anyways, nice post, but you missed a few things:

Broly doesn't fit. Everyone was in base and powerscaling seems to be pretty different from the Cell Games, with Gohan being the weakest and a Broly who destroyed almost an entire galaxy being "maybe" stronger than the Z Fighters, while Cell was a Solar System buster, and that's after he gets a Zenkai.

And you forgot the best movie! Bojack's movie fits perfectly.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
hatchiyack said:
First we start with the first movie, Dead Zone.
This fits perfectly in the story, fits before the first episode of Dragon Ball, before the fight against the Raditz,because Goku did not have Kaioken or Genki Dama, a small problem is that Piccolo and Kuririn appeared to know the little Gohan they only know in the first episodes of Dragon Ball.

I theorize that Krillin got partly amnesia when that rock fell on his head during the movie and forgot about Gohan. As
for Piccolo, he never seemed surprised at Gohan being Goku's son.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
The Deadzone is clearly ripped off of Raditz arc such as Goku/Piccolo against Garlic Jr. is similar to Goku/Piccolo against Raditz and the fights are exactly the same. Gohan got enrage from Deadzone movie and Raditz arc as well in similar fashion.

The Cooler movie is not 4th but 5th. It happened after Freeza arc and before the Mecha Freeza arc so you could fit in there.

The Broly movie happened not during the 10 days before the Cell Games and this is widely misconception. It happened during Perfect Cell saga where Vegeta and Trunks are in their Grade 2 forms and Gohan is the weakest.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
None of the movies could fit with how they're presented, since they each have a fatal flaw that stops them from lining up with the original series. I'll only go over the examples you presented, however.

Movie 1 can't fit in since Kuririn, Roshi and Bulma already know of Gohan in it, with the movie also making Goku/Piccolo aware of Gohan's potential prior to the Raditz fight.
As you even said, Movie 5 can't fit in due to Goku not being able to use SSJ properly, even though he could turn it on and off during the Freeza fight, let alone 1 year later. The movie can work with some tweaking, but not without such.
Movie 8 just can't work. Goku and Gohan aren't in their MSSJ forms, plus Vegeta and Trunks are just sitting about at a picnic, despite the assumed imminent threat of the Cell Games.
Movie 9 comes close to working, but fails due to some powerscaling concerns. Roshi implies Gohan and Trunks rival each other, as does their performance against Bojack's henchmen, yet Vegeta seemed superior to both prior to Gohan's rage boost, despite him having seemingly quit training. Not just that, but it took 3 years to refuel the Time Machine after Trunks returned to the future, yet Goku is still on Snake Way. Granted, the anime reduced the time it took compared to the manga, but that still makes it only vaguely canon to the anime only.
Movie 10 can't work vicariously through Movie 8 not. Even in it's own right, Videl being aware of how strong everyone was, Goten being aware of Goku's appearance and Gohan stating he'd improved a lot since Movie 8 contradict any notion of it being canon.
Movie 13 surprisingly lines up pretty well with the current canon. Though many have concerns with it implying SS2 Goku/Vegeta > Ultimate Gohan, the same is implied in Super's BoG Arc anyway, so it's no concern now. The only problem is the continuity of Tapion's sword, which makes no return in Super despite it being a pivotal character moment for Trunks in the film, nor does Present Bulma develop a Time Machine until the Goku Black Arc, thus rendering it non-canon.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
-MOVIE 1: Normal timeline. Krillin forgot about Gohan when he hit his head. Gohan used his 710 power,
not his 1307, so Goku/Piccolo did not become fully aware of his potential.
-MOVIES 2,3,4: King Kai calculated correctly and Goku arrived on time to fight Vegeta/Nappa. No Z
fighters were killed.
-MOVIE 5: Trunkses timeline, because nobody knows about Androids. I think Cell's presence underground
is what caused Goku to gain the ability to go SSJ at will on Yardrat in the main timeline; Kami felt Cell's
presence, got worried and sent a telepathetic message to Yardrat Goku about some unidentified threat,
prompting him to train harder and become able to go SSJ at will. Cooler showed up in the other timelines
as well and the events were similar to Movie 5's, but not identical.
-MOVIES 6,7: Timeline where only Trunks came from the future and the Androids were defeated without
Cell's presence. Movie 7's events happen before Movie 6's, because Trunks is still there.
-MOVIE 8: Salagir's headcannon.
-MOVIE 9: Vegeta/Trunks closed the gap between themselves and Goku/Gohan by mastering SSJ.
-MOVIES 10,11,12: Buu is defeated either by Vegeta's sacrifice or by SSJ3 Goku or by Gotenks.
-MOVIE 13: The boys have gotten rusty with the fusion and produce a weaker Gotenks. Gohan has lost
his ultimate bost, but can access his full SSJ2 power without transforming.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
M9 can't fit for another reason, Trunks' hair is inexplicably long again despite it being short when he killed future Cell and went to revisit the past.

If I were to twist things a fucking lot the Hildegarn movie can work, Hildy could've simply ravaged up the future timeline a bit causing the androids to piss their pants and leave Trunks and Tapion to their own devices, and with the last of Tapion's strength he sealed the full body Hildy (who has yet to transform due to not being attacked enough, and thus doesn't suddenly break out). Trunks then kills Tapion at his request and claims his sword. However there's still the issue of Toriyama not having Time Machines available to Bulma until years after the Boo arc when Pan was already born, so there's still that issue.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Atem King of Nigs said:
M9 can't fit for another reason, Trunks' hair is inexplicably long again despite it being short when he killed future Cell and went to revisit the past.

If I were to twist things a fucking lot the Hildegarn movie can work, Hildy could've simply ravaged up the future timeline a bit causing the androids to piss their pants and leave Trunks and Tapion to their own devices, and with the last of Tapion's strength he sealed the full body Hildy (who has yet to transform due to not being attacked enough, and thus doesn't suddenly break out). Trunks then kills Tapion at his request and claims his sword. However there's still the issue of Toriyama not having Time Machines available to Bulma until years after the Boo arc when Pan was already born, so there's still that issue.
Movie 9 also doesn't show Chi-Chi even being close to pregnant or an infant Goten at all.

Movie 13 is fine. The ending credits can be just thought of as a "hey, look isn't it kewl that both trunkses have a sword now?" It's not like they outright said that was future trunks' sword.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I mean yeah, but anyone can just say "Ox-king is with Goten right now" or "Goten is too young to be brought to yuge ass tournaments" or some shit

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Atem King of Nigs said:
I mean yeah, but anyone can just say "Ox-king is with Goten right now" or "Goten is too young to be brought to yuge ass tournaments" or some shit
It's still weird they didn't mention the new-born at-all. Trunks was there as a baby and even Bulma and Chi-Chi had a talk. Goten was never brought-up, but we obviously know why.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Yeah I'm too lazy to check release dates but Toei probably wrote the movie when the manga hadn't fully finished the Cell arc yet

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Here

DBZ Movie 9: The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy (Bojack Unbound)
Release Date: July 10, 1993
Manga Release (4 months back): "Kamehameha vs Kamehameha: a Final Showdown" (Apr 12, 1993)
Manga Release (6 months back): "The Hell of the Cell Juniors" (Feb 8, 1993)
Latest Manga Chapter Release: "The Special Training Begins!!" (Jul 5, 1993)
Between Episodes: #192 ("I Will Carry On in the Next World!! Farewell with a Smile") - #193 ("A New Day Will Come… Father! I’ll Hang in There")

The movie's release before Boo arc even started.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
Atem King of Nigs said:

Long ago, i wrote a fic that told the story of Trunkses timeline and i included an explanation about Tapion's sword too...

http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1036458

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
Dead Zone - I dunno, if this movie takes place before the beginning of Z, than wouldn't Krillin know who Gohan was when Goku introduced him to his friends?

World's Strongest - No, Gohan remembers Piccolo sacrificing himself for him but Goku has to rely on Kaioken and the Spirit Bomb to take care of Wheelo rather than whipping out Super Saiyan. Most people even agree that Wheelo is maybe as strong as Vegeta post Zarbon Zenkai.

Tree of Might - Again no
Lord Slug - No

Cooler's Revenge - I could see this taking place after the battle with Frieza but why does Gohan randomly have a tail? It seemed as if Goku couldn't immediately access SSJ and had to be angered in order to use said power.

The Return of Cooler - No, Goku was MIA for a while and immediately went into the ROSAT after waking up (Not immediately but you get what I mean). Wouldn't Trunks be there giving them a hand against Cooler?

Super 13 - No, the movie begins with 17 and 18 axing off Dr.Gero while everyone else is out in town shopping (Goku, Trunks, Gohan, Krillin, and Chi-Chi) or doing whatever (Vegeta and Piccolo). The aforementioned people barring Goku and Chi-Chi watched 17 and 18 get rid of Dr.Gero and take 16 with them but he's nowhere to be seen in this movie.

Broly 1 - It may take place in the 10 Day waiting period of the Cell Games but I don't believe the M8 Z-Fighters = CG Z-Fighters. Vegeta and Trunks are still using ASSJ, Piccolo seems tougher than Gohan, and Gohan for some reason is the weakest of the group instead of being the strongest.

Bojack Unbound - Hmmm.....Sure, I guess I could see this fitting. Trunks was already planning to go back to the past to tell the others that he destroyed the 17 and 18 of his timeline and here he is and I believe it was mentioned that he did so, so I can see this movie fitting into the timeline.

Broly 2 - I dunno, maybe before the Budokai or while Gohan and Goten were training for it? I may have to watch the movie again (Ugh, I didn't like this movie). Than again as mentioned, Goten knows who Goku is and wishes for his presence and recognizes him, which unless he's seen pictures of him (Which I'm sure Chi-Chi would've kept their wedding picture close to her person) and Gohan told Goten about (Which I again wouldn't deny, he definitely had a hero worship complex for Goku).

Broly 3 - Definitely not. Goten and Trunks are hanging out with 18 and Krillin while 18 tries to get her money from Hercule, but after being exposed during the tournament the brats bailed and went off to see Majin Buu.

Fusion Reborn - No. Why is Gohan on Earth instead of the planet of the Kaioshin. Gotenks know fusion, Vegeta and Goku are still dead. It doesn't fit.

Wrath of the Dragon - One could fit this into the timeline after Kid Buu's defeat by why are Gohan and Gotenks portrayed as being weaker than Goku? How much time has passed since Kid Buu was defeated?

BoG - Yeah it fits.
Frieza's Resurrection - Yeah it fits.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.