How Come GTs fights were So Bad?

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
They aren't that engaging enough to make me tune in. To me the last good fight was Gohan Vs Vegeta IMO. Did Toei changed their staff during that period? Because most of DBZ movie fights from Boo arc era was great. Ex: Gohan Vs Broly, Goku Vs Janemba, Z fighters Vs Hirudegarn etc, hell even Bio Broly Vs 18, Krillin and the kids as well.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Bad choreography and Toei failing to break old habits like spamming base Saiyan fight scenes from the movies for 50% of the battle.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
The Great Fearless said:
Because most of DBZ movie fights from Boo arc era was great. Ex: Gohan Vs Broly, Goku Vs Janemba, Z fighters Vs Hirudegarn etc, hell even Bio Broly Vs 18, Krillin and the kids as well.
Movies and OVAs always have a far greater budget than a TV series done by the same studio due to not having to rush to keep up with the weekly deadline. For other Toei examples, just compare how Hokuto no Ken's art and animation in it's movie is compared to it's TV anime, or the same for Saint Seiya's Movies and Hades OVAs compared to the various TV anime instalments of the series.

Going outside of comparison, budget isn't the only answer, given how the original DB anime still had good choreography despite it's restraints. Most likely, the practice of copying too much previous material in fights (eg. Goku's Ryu-ken against Super #17 being little different from him killing Piccolo Daimao) made the staff get lazy overall, plus having less of one clear creative head to each fight as they had when adapting Toriyama's work played a part.

Still had better fights than any of Super's since there was at least some sense of tension and stakes rather than the ending being predestined.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
OK but what about the Boo arc fights? Gohan/Boo, Goku/Bootenks, Goku and Vegeta Vs Boohan etc., all of those fights were good IMO. And it seems to me they got lazy during Baby arc. Uub Vs Goku was good and Gohan Vs Vegeta as well as I mentioned but later in the series all were meh.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Yeah I think the budget definitely ran out early BAby arc

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Funny that the only fight I enjoyed post Baby arc was Syn giving Goku an ass whooping of a lifetime. That was really brutal IMO.

Wogman

Low Class Warrior
It was alright, same as Z but shorter. Definitely better than most of Super fights

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.