Movie 4 explanation

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Can anyone explain the events of M4? We have Goku seemingly transforming into Super Saiyan for the first time while on Earth. Kaio still mentions Freeza in the film by saying Slug > Freeza/Super Saiyan level. So how did Goku beat Freeza if he wasn't a Super Saiyan? Did the Genki Dama kill Freeza in this timeline?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Anyone's explanation of Movie 4 is as good as the next as there's many ways you could interpret the timeline. Perhaps it's one in which the trip to Namek never happened and is a direct follow up to Movie 3 (as well as perhaps Movie 2), or one in which everyone was able to flee from Vegeta and Freeza and get off Namek as soon as Piccolo was revived. Kaio never mentions Freeza to Goku directly iirc and only compares Slug to him when talking to himself, so it's not as if Goku VS Freeza was essential for the film's plot.

The closest thing to placing it in the wider context of DB's timeline is Slug's role in the Hatchiyack OVA, though it's clear how impossible it is to really work Movies 3, 4, 5 and the Freeza Arc all in the same timeline.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Time: 39:26
Context: Slug turns into his giant form
Kaio: “I know him, Goku! Slug is a Namekian that left Namek, back before it faced extinction, just like the Kami of Earth did. He was sent as a baby to planet Slug. What’s more, he’s no ordinary Namekian! He probably doesn’t realize it himself, but through a mutation rare to Namekians, ever since he was born, evil has been the only thing to have grown in his heart. If that’s the case, his wickedness is incomparable to Piccolo’s, what with him having splintered off from Kami. The reason being that Slug is one hundred percent pure evil! He’s a Super Namekian!”
Goku: “A Super Namekian?”
Kaio: “Unless I miss my guess, not even Freeza, or perhaps even a Super Saiyan, can stand up to him!”

Pretty sad considering I just watched the film, but I can't recall if Kaio's last quote was to Goku or himself. Either way it feels unnecessary to shoehorn Freeza into that quote if the group didn't go to Namek.

Pakl

High Class Warrior
Super Saiyan said:
Can anyone explain the events of M4? We have Goku seemingly transforming into Super Saiyan for the first time while on Earth. Kaio still mentions Freeza in the film by saying Slug > Freeza/Super Saiyan level. So how did Goku beat Freeza if he wasn't a Super Saiyan? Did the Genki Dama kill Freeza in this timeline?

No because Movie 4 is based on the Ginyu Arc, Goku is 90k etc. It's impossible for the movie to fit in terms of how strong Freeza was. To me, the movie is simply a mirror to the series. When Kaio Says not even Freeza can withstand Slug, it means the last form Freeza showed which was 3rd form Freeza in episode 82 preview. Going by the movies way of doing things, I follow Giant Slug ~ Initial Final Form Freezs > M4 FSSjin Goku ~ Vegeta (Last Zenkai) > 3rd form Freeza. That's the movie intron imo based on the evidence we have for all the movies

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
The plan to erradicate the Saiya-jins OVA and Icarus (Gohan’s pet dragon)’s presence would imply this movie happens after Tree of Might but before Cooler’s Revenge. This of course led to a completely different Freeza fight between M4 and M5, but that’s only natural with the “what if?” nature of these movies.

Pakl

High Class Warrior
GreatSaiyaman123 said:
The plan to erradicate the Saiya-jins OVA and Icarus (Gohan’s pet dragon)’s presence would imply this movie happens after Tree of Might but before Cooler’s Revenge. This of course led to a completely different Freeza fight between M4 and M5, but that’s only natural with the “what if?” nature of these movies.

Or maybe Toei doesn't give a shot about continuity? Why is it being debated? Lol

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I don’t give a shit about Toei man, this is just my theory. They can make A appear in B because they think it’s cool (As you can see with Cooler’s cameo in GT or whatever the hell goss on with DBH), but if I’m taking all that seriously for discussion and/or fun this is what I think.

Also why would you dismiss movie logic like this when you got a thread talking about Movie 8’s timeline placement in your bio?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
GreatSaiyaman123 said:
Also why would you dismiss movie logic like this when you got a thread talking about Movie 8’s timeline placement?
Peak irony has officially been reached :alex2.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Something I have remembered: Goku says Slug is stronger than anyone he’s ever faced before, so for Slug to need his giant size so surpass Freeza can mean two things: Either Goku has never faced Freeza before (My bet since the Namek trip isn’t referenced until the next movie) or Goku killed Freeza in a weaker form, weaker enough for Kaio to know it wasn’t his full power (Unlikely that Goku would kill a guy without seeing his full power though).

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Or Slug is far stronger than we give him credit for :troll

But yeah, Freeza being beaten in a weaker form or the fight being avoided entirely makes the most sense. As far as Kaio's knowledge on him prior to Namek goes, all we know is he didn't imagine Freeza to be as powerful as his 50% self was, so anything prior to that is basically fair game as a comparison.

Hector

High Class Warrior
Movies 2-4 happened in a timeline where Goku arrived earlier to fight Saiyans and nobody died.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.