My Dragon Ball Super Review

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I never even watched the anime versions of BoG and RoF lol. I too dislike Goku and Vegeta wearing their old costumes (Even more after they get new suits but stop wearing them by the F. Trunks Saga), but in Vegeta's case he only ditched the armor in the Boo Saga because of Budokai rules.

Talking about Vegeta, I think the manga didn't regress him as much as the anime, except when Manga Vegeta unlocks SSJBE because he's jealous of Goku getting UI. Surprised you didn't bring that one up. Sadly Goku regresses on both versions into a particularly annoying 8 year old. Him jumping Beerus the moment they met (manga) and begging to fight Zamasu (anime) are his worst scenes ever.

Hot take: I'm partial to Super Saiyan Fury. I think Ikari and Beast kinda validate it, but the point is that Trunks needs to take a lead role and punch Black in the face. The saga is literally named after him! Even Toriyama knew this since in both versions Trunks cuts Zamasu in half.

Quite frankly I would have had Goku tap into Ultra Instinct against Jiren toward the end of the tournament. After beating Jiren into submission, he drops out of the “form” and says he isn’t going to win that way as Ultra Instinct is at odds with how he fights and then chooses to rely on Freeza and No. 17 to finish off the tired Jiren.

Goku foregoes an easy win because of his morals, putting everyone else's lives at risk. Where have I seen this before?
main-qimg-1cfb9c82849cbed4a42cf9e120d18fde-lq

I resent such a comparison, good sir!

Goku dropping out of the form and putting his trust in his allies, keeping with the theme of the arc, is better than Goku forgetting everything he's been through and learned up to that point to lecture someone who obviously isn't gonna change, which he himself acknowledges, to do what exactly? What is Goku's plan here? Even Whis has to remind him scum like him could potentially take advantage of the situation which he ultimately does.

Last edited:

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I resent such a comparison, good sir!

Goku dropping out of the form and putting his trust in his allies, keeping with the theme of the arc, is better than Goku forgetting everything he's been through and learned up to that point to lecture someone who obviously isn't gonna change, which he himself acknowledges, to do what exactly? What is Goku's plan here? Even Whis has to remind him scum like him could potentially take advantage of the situation which he ultimately does.

Goku didn't forget anything, this is how he's always been. I know there's this theory he stopped being so forgiving after Freeza, but that's simply not true. He admits to Trunks that he spared Freeza and later talks Boo into rebelling against Babidi in an attempt to make him stop killing people. Telling Gohan to not bully Cell is a whole different thing.

The plan is the same as always: To give Moro a last chance before finishing him. Goku had the whole situation under control: Moro tried to blow up the planet and to sneak on Goku, but neither worked. What happened was mostly Merus' fault for being sloppy.

Goku didn't forget anything, this is how he's always been. I know there's this theory he stopped being so forgiving after Freeza, but that's simply not true. He admits to Trunks that he spared Freeza and later talks Boo into rebelling against Babidi in an attempt to make him stop killing people. Telling Gohan to not bully Cell is a whole different thing.

The plan is the same as always: To give Moro a last chance before finishing him. Goku had the whole situation under control: Moro tried to blow up the planet and to sneak on Goku, but neither worked. What happened was mostly Merus' fault for being sloppy.
Yeah, no he forgot everything. It's not a theory, it's a fact. Goku's assertion that he should've finished him on Namek is merely alluding to the fact he didn't decisively kill him. He thought Freeza would die with Namek, but he was wrong. He most certainly expected him to die and is just lamenting he didn't make sure. Further if Goku is saying he should have finished him, Goku is acknowledging the truth that some people cannot be reasoned with.

No, Goku telling Gohan to kill him, straight up kill him, is further proof that Goku realized through Freeza that decisive action must be taken in certain cases.
LLLu7ro.png

Goku obviously isn't just gonna assume people are beyond saving in all cases, he's going to try if he feels there's way to keep someone around for his benefit without consequence, but there is a limit to his mercy.

Goku obviously didn't have things under control given the situation blew up in his face and he knows from prior experience with Cell, even Freeza to some extent given his attempt to blow up Namek, that power is not the end all be all in a fight. Moro could take advantage of the situation, which Whis has to remind him of even though he's already learned this.
H2WFrJI.png

None of this is Merus's fault. Goku should have finished him from the get go because there's nothing to be gained by dragging this out, and he himself says as much. He knows Moro won't turn.
RsKr5r9.png

CXELrdl.png

This is a very clear cause of the author wanting to drag things out and the only way to do it was to regress Goku for the millionth time, and that's the biggest problem with this modern era of Dragon Ball. To tell these stories, all the development Goku, Vegeta, and the others have gone through has to be undermined.

Last edited:

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
There is also Goku killing Kid Boo... He had the situation under control with the Genki Dama after regaining his powers and just complimented him as a powerful rival, wished to fight him with Boo as a good soul and bam, finished him. Goku only showed those mercy traits in the Saiyans and Freeza arc. In the Saiyans Saga there is still some explainable level, Goku could have seen something in Vegeta. He was indeed too pacifist in the Freeza arc, he was annoyed Vegeta killed the enemies that broke his son's neck and would kill them... I think Goku's character was kinda forced in this point in the Freeza arc as a way to emphasize the contrast between the SSJ believed to be ruthless and Goku showing an unique behaviour there that was just not consistent. I think it was less of a development and more like a choice by Toriyama to highlight the above contrast between Goku and SSJ. Still tho yeah, Super with the Moro thing is stupid. At least if Goku sounded "cool" when sparing him, like in the Freeza situation... Freeza begged him and he was in a huge conflict before lending Freeza his energy. It was a cool scene even if most ppl would be like come on Goku!... In the Moro he was like a school teacher giving him a lecture lmao