Rank All the DB/Z/Super Movies

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
With there now being 20 DB films as of DBS: Broly, I think it's safe to do a tier list of the films.

I will usually use the dub names for the films as most of the Japanese titles are hella long and hard to memorize (like 100 billion power warriors or some shit like that)

1. Tree of Might (DBZ #3)

2. Path to Power (DB #4)

3. Battle of Gods (DBZ #14)

4. Bojack Unbound (DBZ #9)

5. The World's Strongest (DBZ #2)

6. DBS Broly

7. Cooler's Revenge (DBZ #5)

8. Mystical Adventure (DB #3)

9. Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle (DB #2)

10. Dead Zone (DBZ #1), tied with Fusion Reborn (DBZ #12)

The rest are just :trash to me.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
1) Broly
2) Path to Power (10th anniversary)/Dragon-Fist Explosion!! If Goku won't do it, who will? (DragonBall Z#13)*
3) Clash!! 10,000,000,000 power-ful warriors (DragonBall Z #6)*
4) Re-Birth of Fusion!! Goku & Vegeta (DragonBall Z #12)
5) Dangerous Duo! Super-Warrios never rest ( DragonBall Z #10)

*Movies #6 and #13 could switch places

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Since I've already gone into detail on the films in the Review thread, I won't explain too much about the ranking (though some rankings have changed since then) and won't include the two TV Specials.

#1 - Mystical Adventure - Decent retelling of the 21st/22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. Simple, yet well executed. Pretty funny how Chaozu has way more going on for him in this film than in all other parts of the franchise combined.

#2 - The Path to Power - Nice retelling of early Dragon Ball with nice animation that helps make #8 into a relevant character, though Goku's rage boost at the end makes for a rushed climax. Pretty interesting how they utilised #8, as I believe rewriting #16 as #8 with some major upgrades in the Cell Arc would've resulted in a lot more character drama in his programming to kill Goku, provide a reason for him to later bond with Goku and Gohan and thus make his death more tragic than the bland #16 we got.

#3 - Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle - The antagonist's motivations are a bit questionable, though the film otherwise succeeds at being a fun action/adventure that captures the core elements of early Dragon Ball.

#4 - Fusion Reborn! Goku and Vegeta - Has good action, but its plot is dragged down by Janemba being a Boo clone and the comedic scenes of Veku's plot armour having him survive against Janemba clashing tonally with the previous part of the main battle.

#5 - Bojack Unbound - Despite being a Cell Game rehash, it's at least somewhat consistent in both fitting into the main timeline and being straightforward in its execution, though Bojack and his crew getting to Earth from whatever part of the galaxy they were in despite having no means of getting a spaceship. Still, at least having a villain of long ago that was sealed away offers a concise reason for Bojack being so strong yet never mentioned prior, which is more than can be said of a lot of previous and later villains (*cough cough* Slug and DBS Broly *cough cough*).

#6 - Tree of Might - Has some problems in power-scaling (Tullece not making note of Kaioken x2 Goku against Oozaru Gohan yet treating base Goku as a big deal) and using a Saiyan as the villain could be seen as repetitive immediately after the Saiyan Arc, but the plot's execution is decent enough and some elements add to the world building such as the Shinseijuu being an interesting concept and lower-class Saiyans all being fairly similar genetically links well with what Toriyama would say about the Saiyans' low population. The mention of Tullece wanting to surpass Freeza also helps give Tullece more motivation and make the movie's world feel lived in and expansive, unlike a lot of other DBZ films.

#7 - Cooler's Revenge - The concept of Coola slots nicely into canon and he's given a lot more personal motivation than someone like Slug, Bojack or Janemba, though his personality is still just Freeza with his core character traits removed and Goku not being able to go SSJ at will was dumb. Shame, considering later implications about Coola would've helped make him more of an engaging character (eg. Freeza and Cold being described as the prodigies of their race and the Armoured Squad not being described as mutants like Jheese and Ginyu retroactively give Coola's faction compared to Freeza's an effort vs talent dynamic).

#8 - Return My Gohan! - Garlic Jr.'s backstory and role gives him better motivations than all other movie villains and adds somewhat to the series' world building, though him wanting to kill Piccolo before using the Dragon Balls, Kami attempting a suicide move when Gods aren't allowed to kill themselves and the main fight being a rehash of the Raditz fight gives the film more cons than pros.

#9 - The World's Strongest Guy - The movie doing the mad scientist plot line long before Gero was mentioned in the manga makes it more interesting in retrospect and it at least doesn't rehash as much material as a lot of later movies, though the elephant in the room of Uiro's huge brain fitting in Roshi or Goku's body makes the villain's motivation laughable and whilst not being much of a rehash of canon events, it does reuse the rescue plot of the last film and Piccolo being taken out at the end, not to mention Piccolo being mind controlled was pointless.

#10 - The Legend of Shenron - Could've been a decent retelling if not for Pansy's role overshadowing that of the main cast's motivations.

#11 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan - Broly makes for a good concept. Unfortunately, the execution with his motivations is very lacking due to the infamous Goku crying drive, though there's at least some level of rationalisation of it if

#12 - Wrath of the Dragon - A new character being brought in through Tapion was a nice idea to shift things from the typical plot armouring of the main cast against one-dimensional foes and the bond between him and Trunks, as well as the lore behind Hildegarn, gave it more story than a lot of the other DBZ films. Unfortunately, this is overshadowed by the extreme amount of plot armour (even Videl survived hits from Hildegarn), Goku holding back SS3 until the end and then winning with an asspulled new attack.

#13 - Battle of Gods - Beerus made for an interesting new addition, though doesn't make up for the further retcons of the God hierarchy, Vegeta's contrived rage boost and the power up of Super Saiyan God being far more of a ridiculous asspull than anything that came before it.

#14 - Super Saiyan Son Goku - Main villain is a Piccolo Daimao knockoff with the motives of a Saturday morning cartoon villain and having this be the third villain in a row to lose to the Genki-Dama (especially when the film produces its own version of Super Saiyan for Goku to use) is mind-numbingly repetitive.

#15 - Return of Cooler - Coola's survival was an asspull, the Metal Coola army battle being skipped over is a huge disappointment and the way Coola dies makes him extremely incompetent.

#16 - Super Android 13 - Has zero plot beyond "more androids want to kill Goku" with these androids having absolutely no defining character traits, Gohan is made useless despite being at least of semi-relevance in past films and #13 is a poor Cell clone.

#17 - Resurrection F - Freeza reaching God Ki tier with 4 months of training is ludicrous, the main fight is a Freeza Arc rehash and any consequences are ruined by time resets.

#18 - Bio Broly - Considering how Broly was treat in the film, there was no need to have him in it beyond brand recognition.

#19 - Broly: Second Coming - Pointless filler side plot at the start and Broly's characterisation is reduced down to "KAKAROTTO!"

#20 - Dragon Ball Super: Broly - The fact this is meant to be canon hinders its overall quality due to irreversibly ruining Freeza's character, going with the Minus backstory damaging the previous perceptions of Saiyan society, Broly having zero character once becoming enraged and overall being filler even by DBS standards.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
#5 - Bojack Unbound - Despite being a Cell Game rehash, it's at least somewhat consistent in both fitting into the main timeline and being straightforward in its execution, though Bojack and his crew getting to Earth from whatever part of the galaxy they were in despite having no means of getting a spaceship. Still, at least having a villain of long ago that was sealed away offers a concise reason for Bojack being so strong yet never mentioned prior, which is more than can be said of a lot of previous and later villains (*cough cough* Slug and DBS Broly *cough cough*).

To be fair, the Bojack movie is hampered by the ridiculousness of someone manyfold above Freeza and able to defeat post-Rosat SSJs being sealed by a few Kaios (somehow) and having no explanation for his power. :troll

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
1. Battle of Gods
2. Cooler's Revenge
3. The Return of Cooler
4. Broly - Second Coming
5. Mystical Adventure
6. The Tree of Might
7. Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
8. Bojack Unbound
9. Super Android 13
10. Lord Slug
11. The Path to Power
12. Dead Zone
13. Curse of the Blood Rubies
14. DB Super: Broly
15. Fusion Reborn
16. Wrath of the Dragon
17. Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
18. The World's Strongest
19. Resurrection of F
20. Bio-Broly

Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy would be somewhere in the middle of this list.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Yeah, Bojack was never mentioned by Kaio before yet Kaio acted like Freeza was the baddest around in the Freeza saga when he warned Goku about him. Not only that, but Lord Slug could have a slight explanation in that the Namekians chose not to talk about him anymore since he was 100% evil, just like the Saiyans never mentioned SSJ-God. Maybe the new generation of Namekians didn't even know who Lord Slug was.

Come to think of it Lord Slug could have been an evil counter-part/rival to the Nameless Namekian, if done right. He was evil but at the same time was higher than at-least 1st Form Freea which'd go with the prodigy status. Maybe he's also the son of Katats.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Kenshi said:
Fantastische Hure said:
I haven't watched Battle of Gods. :troll2 :troll2 :troll2

Super already rehashed it so there's no need :troll2 :troll2
I didn't watch the DB-Super version either. :troll2 :troll2 :troll2

Even-though I did read the manga, which didn't waste that much time.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Also Toma and the others looked different from Bardock, and Raditz mentioned that Goku looked just like Bardock, IIRC.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Fantastische Hure said:
Kenshi said:
Fantastische Hure said:
I haven't watched Battle of Gods. :troll2 :troll2 :troll2

Super already rehashed it so there's no need :troll2 :troll2
I didn't watch the DB-Super version either. :troll2 :troll2 :troll2

Even-though I did read the manga, which didn't waste that much time.

I skipped most of the BoG arc too (along with most of Goku vs. Freeza in the FnF arc) :troll :troll

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
They didn't even change that much seemingly for either. I thought the Captain-Ginyu change was kewl though. Other than that it's just as bad for the most part.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kenshi said:
To be fair, the Bojack movie is hampered by the ridiculousness of someone manyfold above Freeza and able to defeat post-Rosat SSJs being sealed by a few Kaios (somehow) and having no explanation for his power. :troll
I can buy Bojack's power, given he was sealed away a long time ago and for what recent material is worth, a MSSJ tier fighter being around in some corner of the universe long ago isn't too far-fetched. Him being sealed by 4 Kaio is hard to take in, though it could be chalked up to him being caught off guard by the ability and the seal being something similar to a far weaker version of what Dai Kaioshin used on Moro.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It would've been acceptable had the Kaios explained they stored up energy for thousands of years (simular to Koenma trying to seal Sensui despite being piss weak), or something like that but as it stands a guy whose henchmen are all SSJ tier getting sealed up by Saiyan arc tier faggots is pretty mind numbingly stupid. I only ranked that movie as high as I did because it was the last movie to not really have base Saiyan/dicking around in lower forms bullshit, and for bringing the SSJ2 form into relevance one last time. Bojack also has no explanation for being MSSJ tier unlike, say, Dabra. This was also before Boo was revealed, so MSSJ tiers weren't a dime a dozen like in Super/GT.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
For some reason I had the impression that your favourite movie was Battle of Gods because...I'm not sure why. I guess because everyone else likes it and you never really said much about the other movies. :troll :troll :troll

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Fantastische Hure said:
For some reason I had the impression that your favourite movie was Battle of Gods because...I'm not sure why. I guess because everyone else likes it and you never really said much about the other movies. :troll :troll :troll

I don't talk about the other movies much because they're all more than 20 years old and are even said by AT to "take place in an alternate dimension" or some shit, making them pretttttty irrelevant. I don't hate BoG but I'm not fond of it enough to make it my favorite movie either. I did rank it third or fourth in this thread iirc, so it's not like I think it's complete shit either though.

Pocket-God

Elite
:donovan3

Fusion Reborn
Cooler's Revenge
Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Tree of Might

:donovan

Return of Cooler
Super Android 13
Broly: Second Coming
Bojack Unbound
Wrath of the Dragon

:donovan2

Bio Broly
The World's Strongest
Lord Slug
Battle of Gods
Resurrection F
Dead Zone

:wtf

Mystical Adventure
The Path to Power
Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
The Legend of Shenron
Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.