Why did Toei drop the ball with DragonBall Kai?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
At first they seemed to be really set on the idea of keeping DragonBall Kai true to the slogan of the director's cut or what-ever. They cut-out a-lot of filler but some-where inbetween they seemed to have either lost interest or couldn't be bothered anymore to remove a-lot of the filler anymore. Episode 3 for example covered 5 whole chapters, but then later-on they also made some episodes so that they now cover only one chapter at-best or maybe a-bit more like a little-bit from the next chapter. Why is that? Did they realise "oh sheet we want to keep DragonBall longer on the air so let's extend the episodes". Did Toei :toei :toei :toei themselves again? What happened?

Also please don't get me started on the Boo Saga because at that point, they really stopped giving a fack.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
It would be due to still having to stick to the older footage, thus a few filler scenes couldn't be removed due to making things inconsistent without completely redrawing them (eg. Base Vegetto VS Boo). For some of the scenes that were kept in and could have been removed such as Ginyu in Bulma's body or Kuririn VS Cell, I assume some of the staff may have not wanted some of the events to feel too rushed or unexplored, with the former allowing Bulma to actually do something rather than sit around on Namek and the latter offering some actual chase for Cell rather than that part being glossed over for the most part.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
That would require a lot of effort though, and this is Toei we're talking about. :toei :toei :toei

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
That would require a lot of effort though, and this is Toei we're talking about. :toei :toei :toei
True. They are very cheap. :CC :CC :CC

But had they re-animated this truly could have been an HD version of DragonBall instead of just an upscale.

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
Yeah, they seemed to get a bit lazy and there are some moments that just couldn't be edited out. Vegeta and Goku fighting Gohan-Boo is one, or Mr. Satan's little flock was another.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Void said:
Yeah, they seemed to get a bit lazy and there are some moments that just couldn't be edited out. Vegeta and Goku fighting Gohan-Boo is one, or Mr. Satan's little flock was another.
The funny thing is I heard they re-animated certain little moments, why couldn't they have done that for things that needed it more like moments where their filler messed stuff up? Like Vegetto vs Boo, they could have just re-animated that whole thing adhering to the manga instead they didn't bother.

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
They had gotten really lazy by the Boo arc, and a lot of the Z Boo arc wasn't pure filler, it was filler that extended fights and other story related things. There was definitely just pure filler, but nothing as egregious as the 10 day wait for thr CG filler which Kai mostly disposed of.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I mean Kai could've technically taken out the Gohan-Boo vs. Galu and Vegeta fight by cutting out 90% of it and cutting straight to the two getting owned if they wanted, but I suppose they figured it was better to keep in that footage and other similarly contradictory filler like SSJ2 Goku vs. Kid Boo rather than abruptly cut them.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
This is why they could have just re-animated those moments, if they really couldn't be bothered to animate a-lot, they could have just animated the manga panel-for-panel that way they don't have to do a-lot and it's not like Toei were using the original audio-recordings from DragonBall Z so the voice-actors could have easily recited the original lines this time.

I think.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.