You know...

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
...you gotta give it to the director of the Bardock TV-Special. The ending couldn't have been any more perfect and I'm not only talking about the credits.

The entire ending like Bardock's death and what happens after that.

Bardock dies in an EPIC way.

Then we see Vegeta hearing the news from Nappa that Planet Vegeta got destroyed. Vegeta shows no emotion and doesn't seem to care. What's more he's quite nonchalant but surrounded by corpses. Very lonely.

Then the scene switches straight-over to Goku and the happy music plays. The music is so beautiful. Goku lands on earth. Grand-Pa Gohan finds him and takes him in. They are happy.

Showing the difference between Vegeta's childhood and Goku's. One lonely, being under a tyrant. The other a happy one under a loving parent.

This could have easily been shown as a sad scene or whatever, since Bardock just died, instead we had upbeat/happy music and presentation. The viewer doesn't really get sad over the death of Bardock. They are happy that Goku was found by Grand-Pa Gohan (and we are happy that they are happy) and all the good things that are going to happen.

I don't need to say anything about the credits. Everyone knows how gr9 that is.

The directing was good. My (non-existent) hats off to the director.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd honestly prefer if Vegeta had shown a bit of emotion, given how he viewed it as worth crying over during his death scene. Not anything over the top, but still enough to show he took the news with surprise.

Aside from that, the Bardock Special was easily tied with the Trunks special as being :toei's greatest work of the DB franchise. Too bad Bardock's character got milked afterwards, thus destroying the point of his existence, along with the entire story getting rewritten into the Superman origin ripoff by :troll that is Dragon Ball Minus.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
I'd honestly prefer if Vegeta had shown a bit of emotion, given how he viewed it as worth crying over during his death scene. Not anything over the top, but still enough to show he took the news with surprise.

Aside from that, the Bardock Special was easily tied with the Trunks special as being :toei's greatest work of the DB franchise. Too bad Bardock's character got milked afterwards, thus destroying the point of his existence, along with the entire story getting rewritten into the Superman origin ripoff by :troll that is Dragon Ball Minus.
Yeah, that was kind-of weird but maybe Vegeta wasn't really crying for the Saiyans but was just pretending to (so Goku would defeat him) and instead was crying because Freeza made his life hell and did what he did to him.

The special did kind-of do somethings different like Goku being a cheerful baby already when Grand-Pa Gohan found him, but that's fine since this really helped the special.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
Bardock was intended to be a low class warrior. At the movie, they made him super strong for commercial reasons.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
withheldforprivacy said:
Bardock was intended to be a low class warrior. At the movie, they made him super strong for commercial reasons.
That has more to do with the script, but even then they could have done much worse and just write Bardock as a good Saiyan. Here he's just another Saiyan. Battle-thirsty and even evil to an extent.

The_Authority

Low Class Warrior
To the point about Vegeta crying, Vegeta was crying for himself more than anything. His pride was shattered when the realization hit him that Freeza enslaved his entire race and he was no better. The realization hit him that he could not defeat Freeza no matter how hard he tried. Hardly the same thing as caring about his planet getting destroyed.

I'm going by Viz here:

"Kakarrot... Y-You fool... That's what limits you...! Be... merciless! Lose your... stupid sentiment... and you could truly be... the Super Saiyan...! ... Kakarrot... How do you think... Planet Vegeta... the world where you and I were born... was destroyed...? Not... because of... some meteor impact... ... It was... Freeza!! We Saiyans... did just as he commanded... We were his hands... his muscles... And yet... he killed them all... Your parents... my father... the King... He killed them all because he feared that a Super Saiyan would arise from among them...! Pl... Please... Freeza... Freeza must... Die... by a Saiyans... hands..."

He seemed very adamant about Freeza being defeated by a Saiyan and was firing up Goku. Nowhere does it show that he actually cared for the planet. In fact, Goku says, "I never though I'd see you cry... or beg for anything..." So it's alluded to that Vegeta was crying because he was begging Goku to defeat Freeza. Yeah, yeah, I know... "Fuck Viz!!!" but let's be real, it's not that off of a translation. And whoever has the means of accurately translating (not pulling it from someone else) can go ahead and try to see what he really says.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Even the GOAT Toriyama appreciated that movie and said that he probably can't top that something like that. Toei are really good when they do original stuffs but they just hate it.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
It's pretty sad how :troll managed to fuck up Bardock with Minus. Bardock was such a badass on this movie, he was one of my favorite characters.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
GreatSaiyaman123 said:
It's pretty sad how :troll managed to fuck up Bardock with Minus. Bardock was such a badass on this movie, he was one of my favorite characters.
I know about that, but that's OK because there's no-one like AT. I'll just keep DragonBall Minus as far away from my brain as I can, besides the Raditz and Vegeta on a mission part.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.