Anime or manga? Which do you prefer?

ReMii RK

There are two counterparts to Dragon Ball Super -- one being the anime from Toei, and the other being the monthly manga chapters from Toyotaro. Personally, if I had to pick between the two, I would choose the manga in the heartbeat. As a matter of fact, I say it would have been better for the series had Toyotaro's manga came first before Toei would eventually follow afterwards. It'd spare us the excessive ridicule from fans on animation and over all poor writing.

Reasons I like the manga are, aside from being a fan of the Dragon Ball manga more than the anime, include it being closer to Toriyama's vision for the series. I assume Toriyama is more closer to Toyotaro, in a sense, looming over his shoulder to correct some gags here and there; and Toriyama himself has expressed his admiration for Toyotaro's works. I wouldn't be surprised if he did favor the manga over the anime himself.. then again, he probably doesn't care and just thinks whatever makes the children happy is fine by him; which is most likely the case.

Goku isn't a dumb ass who makes an utter fool out of himself in 95% of his scenes, the pacing is pretty straightforward with a little tidbits Toyotaro adds here and there (which he has even been encouraged to do by Toriyama himself), there's a vast majority of information that the anime fails to touch, no Vegeta ridicule (Bingo dance, Copy Vegeta pacifier moment), and last but not least, NO UNNECESSARILY EXCESSIVE PILAF GANG SCREEN TIME!

Don't get the wrong idea -- I don't hate the anime. At times, I find that the OST's and fights can be absolutely admirable. But... everything else, especially when it comes to humor and lack of exposition, no thanks. If I didn't find myself so invested with the anime, I probably would have dropped it by now and waited patiently as each chapter is released monthly.

But, enough about me. What are your thoughts?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
If for nothing-else, I at-least appreciate the manga for its consistency. Much better than Toei. I also thought with this new Future-Trunks Saga the pacing was good. People says it's rushed, but I don't think they read this saga. Much better than Battle of Gods, which I admit was a bit rushed. I see some say that the manga doesn't tell a story. I can do nothing, but :facepalm2 :facepalm2 :facepalm2 at that. I don't think they bothered to read the new saga actually and just dropped the manga before that began.

The anime does have advantages of music and voice-acting & stuff, so I like that too but can't stand Toei's writing.

So I probably say I like them both, but I probably also say I prefer the manga because the manga seems to respect DragonBall where-as the anime does whatever. :Krillin :Krillin :Krillin

ReMii RK

Fantastische Hure said:
The anime does have advantages of music and voice-acting & stuff, so I like that too but can't stand Toei's writing.

I looked passed everything up until Episode 66 came into the picture. After that ending, I questioned the worth of continuing to watch the anime any further. Again, no issue with Trunks taking the kill, but the execution was downright awful. It was as though Toei finished watching the ending to Movie 8 and decided to replace Goku's solution with Trunks'.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
ReMii RK said:
Fantastische Hure said:

I looked passed everything up until Episode 66 came into the picture. After that ending, I questioned the worth of continuing to watch the anime any further. Again, no issue with Trunks taking the kill, but the execution was downright awful. It was as though Toei finished watching the ending to Movie 8 and decided to replace Goku's solution with Trunks'.
I didn't actually mind that. I liked the epic way that ended. They definitely had the grand-feel down. :sponge :sponge :sponge

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The anime is more entertaining but the manga seems to have less bullshit similar to the last episode.

I did however find crap like Trunks "enhancing" his SSJ2 to power as great as a SSJ3 or Hit being such a moron that he didn't realize Vegeta lost 90% of his power from defeating Cabba to be absurd. The power chains don't make that much sense in the manga either (looking at you "stronger than Gohan from back then"), but it overall has less plot holes and retarded contrivances

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I don't find Trunks being on-par with Super-Saiyan 3 Goku all that bad, considering Super-Saiyan 2 is also way out of anyone in even Boo Saga's league. Super-Saiyan 3 is higher, but in my opinion it's not that much more ridiculous than what the anime has.

The Gohan comment can be explained, too.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It can be, but SSJ Goku's feats in the last saga of keeping up with the guy who time-stopped 10% SSJB Vegeta despite losing 0.1 seconds in each clash makes comparing the guy who's slightly stronger than his SSJ2 to an ant like Cell arc Gohan pretty retarded imo. "That guy was just the strongest one Trunks saw" is kind of a weak excuse too since Trunks showed he already knows about Majin Boo and stuff, although he's never personally met him I guess...

Like I said, the anime does have a lot of bullshit (more than the manga like I said) but Trunks' gains before going to the past are effectively even more ridiculous in the manga if Goku after training even longer than Trunks, and gaining SSJ3 on top of having achieved SSJG/Blue is only on par with SSJ2 Trunks at SSJ3 :sponge

ReMii RK

Fantastische Hure said:
I don't find Trunks being on-par with Super-Saiyan 3 Goku all that bad.

I'd have to agree. With Trunks being a hybrid who has trained every single day throughout the remainder of his life, as well as fighting for his life against a god-like entity for years, it's understandable to see how far he's grown. After all, it could have been much, much worse; he could have surpassed Goku's SSG form. That would've been the asspulls above all asspulls.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
ReMii RK said:
Fantastische Hure said:

I'd have to agree. With Trunks being a hybrid who has trained every single day throughout the remainder of his life, as well as fighting for his life against a god-like entity for years, it's understandable to see how far he's grown. After all, it could have been much, much worse; he could have surpassed Goku's SSG form. That would've been the asspulls above all asspulls.

At least, if that Genkidama sword isn't in the manga it has my vote :gay2

ekrolo2

Low Class Warrior
Atem King of Nigeria said:
It can be, but SSJ Goku's feats in the last saga of keeping up with the guy who time-stopped 10% SSJB Vegeta despite losing 0.1 seconds in each clash makes comparing the guy who's slightly stronger than his SSJ2 to an ant like Cell arc Gohan pretty retarded imo. "That guy was just the strongest one Trunks saw" is kind of a weak excuse too since Trunks showed he already knows about Majin Boo and stuff, although he's never personally met him I guess...

Like I said, the anime does have a lot of bullshit (more than the manga like I said) but Trunks' gains before going to the past are effectively even more ridiculous in the manga if Goku after training even longer than Trunks, and gaining SSJ3 on top of having achieved SSJG/Blue is only on par with SSJ2 Trunks at SSJ3 :sponge

Its not if you keep Base Saiyans at their regular levels which is all but certain since SSGod wasn't absorbed.

ReMii RK

ReMii RK said:
Fantastische Hure said:

At least, if that Genkidama sword isn't in the manga it has my vote :gay2

Let's just hope Toyotaro, as a fellow fan, felt the same as we did during the climax and decides to change it. Personally, I'm still hoping for a Vegetto and Trunks tag team using the Genki Sword against Zamasu.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
ekrolo2 said:

Its not if you keep Base Saiyans at their regular levels which is all but certain since SSGod wasn't absorbed.

That's a whole 'nother topic but SSJ Goku's feats of keeping up with a guy who's ~10% SSJB Vegeta and has timestops is undeniable. Don't care for it here personally, but my opinion is that SSJG exists as a separate, accessible form although its power can be combined with the lower SSJ form to produce SSJB in the manga and in the anime Goku seemingly can only access SSJB, but its attainment has influenced his lower states in both mediums to reach newer heights.

ekrolo2

Low Class Warrior
Its not if you keep Base Saiyans at their regular levels which is all but certain since SSGod wasn't absorbed.That's a whole 'nother topic but SSJ Goku's feats of keeping up with a guy who's ~10% SSJB Vegeta and has timestops is undeniable. Don't care for it here personally, but my opinion is that SSJG exists as a separate, accessible form although its power can be combined with the lower SSJ form to produce SSJB in the manga and in the anime Goku seemingly can only access SSJB, but its attainment has influenced his lower states in both mediums to reach newer heights.

And I already said why that doesn't mean anything since Hit is suppressing himself, Whis even says as much when he states that Goku only gets over the gap in their power (and gets stronger than Vegeta's less than 10%) after he uses God. I don't get why "suppressed Hit" automatically means a fix suppressing point for every single fight up until SSGod shows up when we know power suppression doesn't work like that.

The manga doesn't have absorption as SSGod is its own, high multiplier giving form, ergo, uber powerful Base Goku & Vegeta don't exist. Really, the only reason I feel people take issue with Base Saiyans remaining fairly sane Base power wise is because they're used to the movies and the pants shitting anime by this point.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Fearless Boo said:
But Base Goku is uberly strong since he absorbed SSG ki in the manga as well.
Actually we don't see it. Bills doesn't even comment on it. They just stop fighting once Goku's not Super-Saiyan God anymore.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I already said I don't care for the debate here and that it's off topic.

I'll just write that Hit is suppressing his power, but while using the same amount (as there's no mention of him further suppressing) he's able to easily stop SSJB Vegeta and base and SSJ Goku, but SSJ Goku has enough reaction speed to keep up with him while being more fatigued due Hit's timestop advantage. SSJG brought him too much farther than Hit for the timestops to work yes, but with there being no mention of Hit lowering power after defeating Vegeta you can't get around Hit ~ 10% SSJB Vegeta and FP Hit being less than 10x that for his timestops to outright not work against 100% SSJB.

Anyway, that's diverging off topic. If you're concerned about that debate, go argue it where it's relevant.

Fantastische Hure said:
Fearless Boo said:
Actually we don't see it. Bills doesn't even comment on it. They just stop fighting once Goku's not Super-Saiyan God anymore.

Yeah we don't have it stated in that arc specifically, but since FnF exists in the manga (just skipped) and Goku is apparently thinking suppressed Hit (who beat Vegeta) isn't so dangerous of an opponent that he can't stall for a bit in base to conserve power, there's no way he's at the puny ant level he was at pre-god.

ekrolo2

Low Class Warrior
Fearless Boo said:
In the F manga yes which isn't part of the Super manga, that was written to abide by the movies rules, Super's manga is its own thing where the rules are different for how powers work.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Fantastische Hure said:
Fearless Boo said:
That's good then, now we don't have a problem anyone reaching their level. :gay2

ekrolo2 said:
Fearless Boo said:
In the F manga yes which isn't part of the Super manga, that was written to abide by the movies rules, Super's manga is its own thing where the rules are different for how powers work.
I was talking about the end of BoG.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.