Good DBZ filler?

Future Warrior

Elite
Z only, since I think most people can agree that part 1's filler did more good than harm.

- Most filler scenes involving Gohan during his training for the Saiyan arrival (Gives much needed exploration into Gohan's character and makes his development feel far less rushed)
- Goku and Piccolo learn to drive (10/10 best slice of life episode)
- Extra Goku vs Majin Vegeta scenes (Was wasted in the manga imo)

I'll add some more if I can think of anything else...

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
A few additions to dialogue that made the flow of events feel more natural, like how in the anime Krillin recalled that Nail actually told them they had 3 wishes to make on the DBs while in the manga it was treated like a new revelation because AT forgot that fact.

I also like that pterodactyl scratching Gohan's face, because it foreshadowed all the bullshit ray gun and failed bullet tanks we see in Super :donovan3

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
- Training segments in the Saiyan Arc. Makes the characters' gains feel earned rather than an instant thing and gives Gohan a proper development period rather than switching his personality in between chapters.
- Bulma's adventures on Namek. Gave her something to do rather than just sitting around the entire arc.
- Driving episode. Unnecessary, but a nice change of pace that allowed us to see different aspects to Goku and Piccolo's character due to the situation.
- Rosat training scenes. Same reason as the Saiyan Arc training. Makes the whole event seem like an actual effort rather than an instant boost.

Castiel

I've always liked the idea of the Ginyu Force going up against Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu on Kaio's planet.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Castiel said:
I've always liked the idea of the Ginyu Force going up against Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu on Kaio's planet.
It does reinforce the implication of Piccolo's huge 6 day GAINZ at least. :troll

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
Castiel said:
It does reinforce the implication of Piccolo's huge 6 day GAINZ at least. :troll

My headcanon was always that those weights he kept on increased his power by the minute, considering he was still feeling their weight at a 10th of the gravity of the kaio planet despite being multi-fold stronger after merging with Nail. :troll

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Illusion Saiyans and the Pendulam Room. A good fight that built up the Saiyans to come. Also, watching the anime the first time through made this one of the first big fights and pretty exciting.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
Most battle fillers are good: Goku vs Majin Vegeta, Goku vs Freeza, Vegeta vs Gohan
(after Freeza Saga), Goku vs Cell, Gohan vs Cell, Kais vs Kid Buu.
Battle fillers that are not so good are Gohan vs 4th Form Freeza, SSJ3 Goku vs Buutenks,
all fights in Buu's body and Yamcha vs Olibu.
Additional battle sagas (Garlic Jr and Otherworld Tournament) are entertaining if you
don't give much thought to PLs (even though inconsistencies can be explained).
Showing Gohan's growth in the wild could be good if they hadn't overdone it with
episodes like the robot or the orphans.
The filler episode showing Bulma in underpants was great for 'scientific reasons'.
Fake Namek was a good opportunity to tangle Gohan into similar situations to what
his father lived with Bulma in his childhood.
The filler episode where Goku's spaceship carrying him to Namek malfunctions and
he almost dies in space makes his gains look more deserving.
Krillin and Marron was also good for scientific reasons.
Goku and Gohan in ROSAT had great father/son moments.
Trunkses and Cell's flashbacks (when they were about to fight each other) were epic.
The party at Bulma's house was the perfect disclosure for the series (fuck Super/EOZ).

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
Castiel said:

It makes the Android arc more believable

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
withheldforprivacy said:
'.
Fake Namek was a good opportunity to tangle Gohan into similar situations to what
his father lived with Bulma in his childhood.
The filler episode where Goku's spaceship carrying him to Namek malfunctions and
he almost dies in space makes his gains look more deserving.
The party at Bulma's house was the perfect disclosure for the series (fuck Super/EOZ).

:sure

These scenes make DB much more entertaining.

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
Good filler?

I thought Base Vegetto vs. Buu was fun too watch
I also agree on the filler added to some fight scenes like: Goku vs. Frieza/Vegeta (Majin)
The stuff in Other World after the Cell Games.
I'm in what appears to be a minority of people who actually liked the Makyo Star Arc.

Victorious

Mid Class Warrior
My favorite filler in all of Z was the afterlife tournament with Pikkon and the Grande Kai. That Nigga should be Canon. In fact that's my favorite part of the whole Buu saga really.

Warmmedown

Elite
Basically all of it, except for inside Buu's body - although even that was sort of cool and would be okay if they just changed the script a bit.

Flame

High Class Warrior
-Extension of fights typically massively helped
-Goku and Piccolo driving
-Training filler in the Saiyan arc, Z-Fighters not Gohan's
-Other World Tournament

All I can think of. Saiyan arc probably had the worst filler tbh and the Cell arc. Can't forget about the infamous Garlic Jr. Saga.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
DragonBall had better filler than DragonBall Z. Not really even debatable in my opinion.

As for DragonBall Z filler, I'd agree with Saiyan-Saga filler not only for the training but also IIRC for showing the development in Gohan's and Piccolo's relationship.

Fake Namek and Garlic Jr. were the worst though probably.

Classic Adamas

Zeta Elite
Global Moderator
I like the Pikkon stuff and the brief return of Cell, Freeza and Ginyu.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Mystic Omega said:
I like the Pikkon stuff and the brief return of Cell, Freeza and Ginyu.
I thought that was kewl as-well. It was funny how Paikuhan owned them all l0l. First he slaps Cell and then he one-shots Freeza & King-Cold like they were nothing. Next scene they're complaint about being in jail again, l0l.

Also I like it when the anime makes characters (when they are easily over-powering their opponents) look more powerful, even-though changing expressions and choreography isn't that gr9 (sometimes can be good though).

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
Nothing particularly comes to mind outside of the stuff leading up to the Saiyan's arrival. I'd have to say that some of that Namek Bulma filler was the worst.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.