I feel like GT gets too much hate

pkjoan

Hello, I'm new here.

I just wanted to say that GT is kinda overhated. Yes, the anime may not have been up to the standards of DBZ but it did its best to follow it and show some sort of natural progression for certain character arcs. While it had rough start, the Baby Saga IMO is one of the best arcs of all DB media and let's not forget SSJ4 which looks pretty awesome. Also, the ending was spectacular.

At least GT tried to experiment with something new. DBS is stuck on the same timeframe, and afraid to experiment. Most of the new ideas seem too fanfiction-ish or end up disappointing the fanbase. Look at Zamasu Arc, what the hell were they thinking with that ending and that extremely convoluted plot? Look at the movie retellings, instead of expanding them they made the movies seem like award winning animation compared to the anime. The only thing I can say they did right was the Broly movie and the two current manga arcs.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
GT was a case of decent ideas with poor execution. The Baby arc is definitely the saving grace of the show. When looking back at GT after watching/reading Super, I could appreciate it a lot more. I think the main thing for me is that issues aside, GT at least felt like Dragon Ball. While it was definitely more lighthearted at times, there were plenty of serious moments where everyone felt in character. Vegeta had some decent development as well and I liked how he felt like a progression of his Z self. In the SD arc he blatantly stated that he stopped chasing after Goku since years ago, but he still wanted to see how far he could push his own limits. In Super, he is back to his Android Arc mindset of wanting to be the #1, and it just felt like such a step backwards. You can say the same about nearly every character in Super. Goku is definitely the worst for it, but I could write an entire essay about that.

Tl;dr, GT is far better than Super. The pacing was pretty bad at times, and some arcs such as S17 are indefensible, but at least it felt like Dragon Ball is supposed to in most aspects.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It honestly felt like an insult to my intelligence most of the time I watched it as a kid but after watching Super it's quite tolerable. Still wouldn't go back to the BSDB arc for any reason though.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
The hate it gets is justifiable compared to back in the 2000s and early 2010s. It got a lot more heat back then.

Last edited:

Ultimate Cell

High Class Warrior
It honestly felt like an insult to my intelligence most of the time I watched it as a kid but after watching Super it's quite tolerable. Still wouldn't go back to the BSDB arc for any reason though.
Kenshi watches Super 17 saga thread when :manabu

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
What is so experiment about it when for the most part they tried to recreate the original sagas. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the series and it has grown me even more over the years but it didn't have that feeling like DBZ like the battles for example.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Nah I’d say it’s down there with Super, Super is only salvageable because it’s sprinkled with fanservice (even if it’s bad most of the time, like Roshi in the ToP).

I think both GT and Super have the same issue though, which is simply not knowing what to do. Back in the Z days Toriyama always had something new to introduce that completely changed the series, to a point the characters were pretty much unrecognizable at the end of each Saga. There was also a sense of time with Gohan’s constant growth (Or Goku’s in the first series).

Both DBS and GT try a new idea in the beginning (Both of which can be summarized with their new forms: SSJG and SSJ4), but then just don’t know what to do. This is because Goku is a pretty one dimensional character, and while Z averted this by keeping him off the action as much as possible (He always only arrives in the final battle), DBS and GT put him in the forefront, trying to relieve the classic DB days. The thing is, Goku’s character arc was already concluded there, and the series is not willing to go there.

The only real difference between GT and Super is that the latter tries to give the others something to do, which results in weird power scaling and backwards character arcs. GT just keeps everyone in the background filling the role the humans had in Z of being beaten up when Goku is busy.

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
2SNmokb_d.jpg

Hector

High Class Warrior
GT could have handled power levels better. Here is how I would rewrite it...
-Goku fights Ubb in his SSJ2 form in the first episode.
-Gohan fights in his ultimate (non SSJ) form. Baby takes Gohan's body instead, since he's obviously stronger than SSJ2 Vegeta.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
GT could have handled power levels better. Here is how I would rewrite it...
-Goku fights Ubb in his SSJ2 form in the first episode.
-Gohan fights in his ultimate (non SSJ) form. Baby takes Gohan's body instead, since he's obviously stronger than SSJ2 Vegeta.
Gt doesn't follow the manga.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.