Sub or Dub?

Future Warrior

Elite
Figured I post it in this section since I'm talking about the anime here, and isn't just solely about Super.

What do you prefer, what voice actors do you feel best captures the character, ect.

Pocket-God

Elite
Dub.
The sub voices annoy me to no end.
Well, mostly just Goku and Gohan.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
From kai and onwards, probably the dub. I hate the dub for the prior 3 series though.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Definitely the dub. Nothing amaze me from the sub other than the pacing is great that's all. Dub on the other hand have improved over the years and even the DBZ Kai Boo arc and Super sounds great except with Sabat since he sounds like trying too much.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Sub.

The essence of most characters are in there, even if some might not be able to perform as energetic as they once did.

I mean AT personally chose some of the important character's voice-actors.

Future Warrior

Elite
Fantastische Hure said:
Sub.

The essence of most characters are in there, even if some might not be able to perform as energetic as they once did.

I second this.

People will make fun of Goku's voice sounding like a 10 year old child or some shit, but that was the intention that they were going for in order to capture the characters personality. Goku is supposed to be a man-child that enjoys eating and fighting. That's just the aspects of his character. I have 0 issue with how his voice sounds in japanese. I don't have a problem Sean Schemmel, he definitely made an effort to stay true to the character by having him have more of a child-like personality and silly while back in the funi dub he sounded like an emotionless superman copy, but Masako Nozawa's Goku is the true definitive Goku for me. I prefer pretty much almost all of the original cast (Except for Adult Gohan, I don't why they decided to have Goku's voice play him considering he acts nothing like him. And maybe Cell as well). I grew up with the english dub, hell I didn't even knew there was a japanese version until sometime when Battle Of Gods came out. I don't remember when I fully got immersed into the japanese version, but once I did I quickly grew accustomed to it. Even have most of my DB games set on japanese voices.

That's all I gotta say.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Future Warrior said:
Fantastische Hure said:
Sub.

I second this.

People will make fun of Goku's voice sounding like a 10 year old child or some shit, but that was the intention that they were going for in order to capture the characters personality. Goku is supposed to be a man-child that enjoys eating and fighting. That's just the aspects of his character. I have 0 issue with how his voice sounds in japanese. I don't have a problem Sean Schemmel, he definitely made an effort to stay true to the character by having him have more of a child-like personality and silly while back in the funi dub he sounded like an emotionless superman copy, but Masako Nozawa's Goku is the true definitive Goku for me. I prefer pretty much almost all of the original cast (Except for Adult Gohan, I don't why they decided to have Goku's voice play him considering he acts nothing like him. And maybe Cell as well). I grew up with the english dub, hell I didn't even knew there was a japanese version until sometime when Battle Of Gods came out. I don't remember when I fully got immersed into the japanese version, but once I did I quickly grew accustomed to it. Even have most of my DB games set on japanese voices.

That's all I gotta say.
I do too. When it comes to the games, l0l. Even-though surprisingly the dub got a-lot more accurate sometime around Burst-Limit.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Easily the sub for the reasons Hure and FW already covered. The Funi dub also sounded fairly wooden for the most part until Kai. I usually would only side with the pre-Kai dubs if I wanted an unintentional comedy. Only scene I preferred in the dub for DB/Z/GT was Galu's SS3 transformation.

With Kai and Super, I'd probably still side with the sub, mainly with me preferring the Japanese voices for new characters in the latter, though the difference in quality is now marginal, rather than the large gap that was present beforehand.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The sub sounds way better. Going back to the dub after years gives me cancer.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Supreme said:
The sub sounds way better. Going back to the dub after years gives me cancer.

How about the new dub? Like Kai or Super since the pacing has been very good!

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Haven't really checked it out tbh

Flame

High Class Warrior
Dragon Ball- Dub
DBZ- Dub
Super- Sub
GT- Who cares

The_Authority

Low Class Warrior
Ah, the age-old question. It really depends. I definitely love the original Japanese version, but that's for nostalgic reasons. Plus, since Funimation basically turned Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and the movies into a different thing entirely, I can watch and appreciate both. The Japanese version for anything before that "Son Goku and His Friends Return" TV special, is great and is Dragon Ball.

However, that dub has its own place in my nostalgia bank, so to speak. It's easy for me to separate the two and view them as two separate entities that I can enjoy; this separation was made possible by just how far off the rails Funimation took the series. Actually, I've recently come across the Ocean/Westwood/Blue Water dubs for all three original series so it's like I have three separate versions to enjoy. Even moreso, since I'm trying to learn Spanish, I also have DB/Z/GT/movies/etc. in Spanish, so I get to enjoy it four times over, each with their own nuances.

But I'm no big anime purist and I'm about as casual of a fan as you can get. Thus, as the dub is more faithful now, I don't feel the need to watch it in Japanese. I find it really convenient to just throw Kai on and have it in the background while I do something instead of having to sit there and read the subtitles. That's what I appreciate about it. I feel that with Kai and onward, just because of how they did the dub, I don't have any interest in seeing the original version. I actually like the voices and all, but there's no reason for me to have to pay attention to everything that's written, I have things to do. I am dipping into Japanese slowly but surely (it'll take forever), so maybe -- just maybe -- one day I'll get to watch the Japanese version without reading and without relying on someone else's translations.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.