Movie 8

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Daizenshuu 6

From the fact that Gohan becomes a Super Saiyan, it seems that this is an event from around the time of the final showdown with Cell. However, at the same time it's a mystery why Goku and the others are leisurely having a cherry blossom viewing when they should be stressed for the battle with Cell...

I think it's fair to say M8 happened after Goku/Gohan's RoSaT trip, as well as Piccolo's. Vegeta and Trunks likely didn't get to have their second turn yet, hence why they use Grade 2.

Why was Gohan so weak?

DBZ Movie 8: Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight (Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan)
Release Date: March 6, 1993
Manga Release (4 months back): "Full Member Gathering!!" (Nov 2, 1992)
Manga Release (6 months back): "Super Trunks Surpasses His Father!" (Aug 31, 1992)
Latest Manga Chapter Release: "The Ultimate Kamehameha" (Mar 1, 1993)
Between Episodes: #176 ("Wait Just a Minute!! The Great Satan Army Arrives") - #177 ("Goku’s Bout!! The Super-Tense Cell Games")

Toei had no idea that he was going to be the strongest yet. Only 4 months prior to the release, Goku hadn't even begun fighting Cell. That was chapter 201 "Full Member Gathering!!". Chapter 209 and 210 are where we find out Gohan was actually stronger than Goku. I don't have the exact dates for these chapters, but at even a weekly rate, that would be a minimum of 9 more weeks after "Full Member Gathering!!", and you would have to think the script, and probably even film were probably done by that point.

Based on this info alone, I think this is accurate.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I don't mind that option too. Do you nerf the Grade 2 multiplier to keep Vegeta and Trunks under SSJ Goku?

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
SuperSaiyan2 said:
I don't mind that option too. Do you nerf the Grade 2 multiplier to keep Vegeta and Trunks under SSJ Goku?

They don't have to be considered Grade 2. They were just drawn in the wrong way, like Alternate Vegeta was drawn in the flashback he was fighting Alternate Seventeen.

Diamond Ryan

High Class Warrior
Interesting analysis. Do you think Piccolo was post RoSaT in this movie?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yes, I said so in the OP but the wording was bad.

The order was Vegeta/ Trunks -> Goku/Gohan -> Piccolo -> Vegeta -> Trunks

M8 happened sometime during the 10 day wait, so likely right before Vegeta went in going by his use of Gr2.

Diamond Ryan

High Class Warrior
So is Piccolo > Vegeta and Trunks in that movie? Or did TOEI just guess him to be around that level after the RoSaT?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I don't think he's ahead of them. It looks to me like they are all on the same tier, aside from Goku who is above, and Gohan who is below. Piccolo's power was all speculative at that point in the release dates too, all we know was Cell > Piccolo based on the small conversation at Kami's Palace. So Toei probably boosted him to Vegeta/Trunks ASSJ level which I think is fair.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
No opinions? I thought this would be a hot topic.

Pocket-God

Elite
Everyone is their Cell Games versions imo, don't see why they wouldn't be.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
So Vegeta and Trunks are stronger than Goku in M8? Because they would be with Grade 2.

Pocket-God

Elite
Sure, why not? Broly casually fucked everyone anyway, save for Goku, who he wanted to screw around with. :idk

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Goku performs better than all of them. He drops out of SSJ the least and seems to lose the least amount of power.

Pocket-God

Elite
That's because it's a movie and Goku is Goku. And as I said, Broly wanted to screw around with Goku.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
More likely that Toei had no idea how strong Goku would be after ROSAT hence they placed him around Super Vegeta's level because Goku/Vegeta were in the same league before ROSAT.

Pakl

High Class Warrior
This is freaking 2017... They are not Cell Games levels.. M9 is Cell Games levels.. M8 is based on Perfect Cell arc... For godsake... I can see people argue M8 Goku is his Cell Games self but Vegeta and Trunks are 1st post roast and all weaker than in the Cell Games... Its freaking stated and shown

Pakl

High Class Warrior
Pocket-God said:
Everyone is their Cell Games versions imo, don't see why they wouldn't be.

Maybe because the Cell Games didnt even get revealed and it relates to movie 9 only??? Lord this is ridiculous :Paladin

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.