Super 17 arc appreciation thread

KyuubiAhri

High Class Warrior
NO negative Post Allowed

hqdefault.jpg

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
- Whilst it is a copy of Fusion Reborn, I can honestly say that the villain revival was done far better here. The whole concept of previous villains returning for vengeance in M12 was built up and knocked down in the span of a minute or so by Freeza commanding them all and everyone retreating when he got oneshotted. At least here, many of the villains had their own scene, allowing the supporting cast to get some shine in the early episodes.
- Super #17's design is pretty good. He at least feels different enough to be a more appropriate revival to relevance of a past villain than spraying them Gold.
- #18's character here was handled a lot better than in the Boo Arc or Super. Her having to deal with her husband being killed by her brother after having not seen the latter for over two decades offered a short but nice story arc for someone who'd been irrelevant since she stomped Vegeta, or at best, since she shilled from Satan.
- Whilst the execution of Super #17's weakness wasn't handled well, I at least like that Toei went with the exploitation of a weakness over an asspull power up like in the Baby and Evil Dragons Arcs, or most DBZ Arcs for that matter.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
It's really hard to praise this arc hence I have a hard time making a thread about it. I'll try my best though.

The only positive that I watched from this arc is how Toei handle Android #18 here.

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
- Whilst it is a copy of Fusion Reborn, I can honestly say that the villain revival was done far better here. The whole concept of previous villains returning for vengeance in M12 was built up and knocked down in the span of a minute or so by Freeza commanding them all and everyone retreating when he got oneshotted. At least here, many of the villains had their own scene, allowing the supporting cast to get some shine in the early episodes.
- Super #17's design is pretty good. He at least feels different enough to be a more appropriate revival to relevance of a past villain than spraying them Gold.
- #18's character here was handled a lot better than in the Boo Arc or Super. Her having to deal with her husband being killed by her brother after having not seen the latter for over two decades offered a short but nice story arc for someone who'd been irrelevant since she stomped Vegeta, or at best, since she shilled from Satan.
- Whilst the execution of Super #17's weakness wasn't handled well, I at least like that Toei went with the exploitation of a weakness over an asspull power up like in the Baby and Evil Dragons Arcs, or most DBZ Arcs for that matter.

You nake it sound like the arc doesn't suck. Well done!

Other than cc's thoughts

- the arc clearly shows Dragonball combat speed effortlessly goes throughout the planet to a naked eye.
- the limo!
- Android 18 playing a huge role
- it's better than two other GT arcs :troll

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
theallpowerfulPuiPui said:
You make it sound like the arc doesn't suck. Well done!
I do admit it has it's positives, though those several pros are buried under a mountain of cons more deplorable than in any other DB Arc.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
- Seeing as Dr. Myuu and Dr. Gero united their scientific expertise, and had a lot of time to further develop their proficiency in this field whilst in Hell, it's not that surprising they were able to make a much stronger version of 17. This is better than the explanation for 17's DBS counterparts' huge gains, which was basically "fighting poachers that are fodder compared to him, over the years".

- The villains' escape from Hell was carried out better than in Fusion Reborn, since they lasted longer in this case and were comparatively more effective overall before their inevitable defeat. Also, the importance of technique was emphasised in Goku's fight with Frieza & Cell, as Goku—despite the big power lead he had on the two—was almost permanently absorbed after Cell used Taiyoken on him, and later couldn't escape the duo's Hell's Buster technique.

- 18's reaction to Krillin's death reinforces how much she cares about him, and the fact that his death was caused by her mind-controlled brother made the scene particularly tense. In Z, Krillin used a wish to improve her quality of life, eventually grew a bond with her, married her, had a child with her, and put his life on the line to try and buy time for her to escape from Super Buu, so it's fitting that she put her life on the line to avenge his death. Furthermore, this arc allowed for her to have significant relevance again, which she didn't have for a pretty long time prior to this arc.

- Super 17's absorption technique wasn't completely broken, seeing as he's exposed to harm when in the process of power absorption. He could have combated this weakness by using his energy barrier to be honest, but at least the writers were aiming for Goku's victory over him to be strategic rather than solely influenced by Toei-hax.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
ahill1 said:
That was anime only.
I know. Still wanted to include it since the topic is of an anime series after all.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Spiral-Force said:
ahill1 said:
That was anime only.
I know. Still wanted to include it since the topic is of an anime series after all.

Not saying it isn't valid to use the anime, but GT follows the manga power scaling right?

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
ahill1 said:
Not saying it isn't valid to use the anime, but GT follows the manga power scaling right?
Considering GT is a product of Toei Animation like the DB and DBZ series, I simply follow anime scaling for it.

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.