Why GT failed?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
They somehow learned how to make their mechanical parts sense for them!

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Explains the ridiculous fapping he got. Probably didn't age after he was turned to a child too :troll

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
Think the best answer is that people were just tired of Dragon Ball at the time. GT didn't have a 17 year gap between it and the original, the series aired right after Z ended. I can understand the sentiment people probably had after Z ended. There was now suddenly even more Dragon Ball and it didn't change at all and even worse it borrowed more from early Dragon Ball. (There's this weird disconnect between people who started with Z and people who didn't, the former absolutely hates everything before Raditz and hate it when it's acknowledged.)

I think Super's success comes from how much time passed between it and the original (even GT), it left enough time for people to become nostalgic of the series, people were born and raised on Dragon Ball, never watched anything else. And they desperately wanted more. I think if Super released just after Z ended it'd have met an even worse fate than GT, considering it sucks dog shit.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
It sucked since Goku became a child again. The worst part about it is he didn't get reverted back into an adult by the Black Star Dragon Balls after the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga. And Super Saiyan 4 doesn't count as adult Goku, LOL.

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
Pretty much it came out too soon after DBZ and tried to capitalize on the weaknesses of DBZ's plot (humor and adventure) rather than epic Fightz.

The show stunk due compared to Z due to disregard to power scaling, pacing, and among other things. The real tragedy is that Super sucked so bad that it made GT actually look good. It's hard to believe GT has over 130 episodes and almost nothing happened. At least GT had way too many things happen for 65 episodes.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
At least GT had way too many things happen for 65 episodes.
I think anime and Shonen has skewered peoples perception on what good pacing is, GT has extremely good pacing for a show. Stuff happens, there's no actual filler and dragging the feet. It makes GT the closest animated DB product to the original manga too.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I think anime and Shonen has skewered peoples perception on what good pacing is, GT has extremely good pacing for a show. Stuff happens, there's no actual filler and dragging the feet. It makes GT the closest animated DB product to the original manga too.
Sugoroku space?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Son Goku and Friends is most similar to the toei db films
I don’t think so at-all. Toei movies were mostly always about fighting and the “story” was just barely tacked-on so that they can say that it’s a movie, instead of a random animated fight.

Yo Son-Goku & Friends was about the characters and a-lot more light-hearted (like Boo era movies I guess but you could still see what I said above with Boo era movies).

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
I don’t think so at-all. Toei movies were mostly always about fighting and the “story” was just barely tacked-on so that they can say that it’s a movie, instead of a random animated fight.

Yo Son-Goku & Friends was about the characters and a-lot more light-hearted (like Boo era movies I guess but you could still see what I said above with Boo era movies).
That sounds like the toei films, they mostly followed the formula of -> characters start off chilling on Earth -> some guy comes from space and wants to fight -> they fight

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.