Would a next generation series work?

Future Warrior

Elite
Would like a series focusing on the adventures of Oob, Goten, Trunks, and Pan? Goku and Vegeta don't have to disappear though.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'd love to see it, but only if Goku and Vegeta are dead somehow. God knows it would eventually devolve into Goku Time eventually, with a side of Vegeta.

To answer "would it work", I don't think so. The current generation is obsessed with shit quality and Goku/Vegeta, so it wouldn't be successful.

Future Warrior

Elite
I would like that actually, and it's one of the reasons why I dislike the Boo arc, Goku coming back and once again playing the hero. Having focus on the next gen fits the theme with what the EoZ was trying to give. Even though I wasn't fond of Trunks and Goten due to not having any depth to their characters at all, I think it's possible to make them more developed and interesting with good writing. Although unfortunately for some Goku IS Dragon Ball. Just look at the posts made on this topic... http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41017

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
That's how the Boo Arc was born.

I'd like it if it's goodly done, but it wouldn't work because people love Goku. That's why the Boo Arc sinked, after all.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'd really love to know what's with the fascination with Goku.. Especially now, as he is an absolute shell of the character he used to be.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Honestly, the character started to took a dive by the Freeza Arc. Super was just the final hit.

Future Warrior

Elite
The Boo arc sinked not because Goku wasn't always the center of attention, but because of it's terrible writing. And I'd hardly count it as a next generation series anyways, even if that may have been the intent at first. In fact, some people hated it for that very reason alone.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Regardless of it's execution, it'd be automatically better than Super due to there being some level of tension. I'd like to see it far more than any part of "the Goku and Vegeta show", as unlikely as the staff are to give Goku and Vegeta a secondary role. However, I wouldn't say it'd be impossible for characters other than Goku/Vegeta to be given the spotlight. After all, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is successful for that very reason and it's popularity has been increasing drastically since the JoJo anime was created, plus Super has already taken quite a lot of ideas from JoJo as well (eg. Hit's Time Leap just being ZA WARUDO), so I could see it as a genuine possibility, at least as an experimental short series that gets stretched once gaining popularity.

withheldforprivacy

Elite
Suspended
Future Warrior said:
Would like a series focusing on the adventures of Oob, Goten, Trunks, and Pan? Goku and Vegeta don't have to disappear though.

Even if they tried it, they wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to turn it into a Goku series.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
withheldforprivacy said:
Even if they tried it, they wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to turn it into a Goku series.
They'd remedy it by giving Pan a younger brother so they can have a canon Goku Jr. :troll2

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I asked :toei :toei :toei and :troll :troll :troll ,and they said:

"Of-course it can work...as-long as the entire series is a long flash-back of the new generation talking about Goku and co's previous adventures." :troll :troll :troll

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
They had the opportunity to do this with Dragon Ball GT, and look what happened...

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Spiral-Force said:
They had the opportunity to do this with Dragon Ball GT, and look what happened...
Yeah...

They made a shit series that was still better than Super. :troll2

Boo Brand Milk

Super Elite
Future Warrior said:

I'd love to step into the grand tour

Super Neko Majin Z

Mid Class Warrior
There's this fanfic called Dragon Ball Generations by SlotT7 where it's basically this, but with Super instead of GT. Goku got killed by Buu and was appointed Guardian of Heaven, and Vegeta's soul also got destroyed. Now Gohan, Goten and Trunks have to pick up the slack.

Let me put it this way: I never thought RoF could be good, but somehow the author made it amazing.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
UltimateGohkan said:
:troll already tried that concept in the Buu Saga. Look how that turned out :troll2 :rape1
In all seriousness, I wouldn't really class it as an attempt at a next-gen series when :galu was already brought back fairly early on and a lot of the flaws of the arc can be linked to his actions.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Is the way Galu acts in Super a logical progression (read: regression) of his character? :troll :troll :rape1

Latest profile posts

Papasmurf wrote on Yoshi's profile.
Just heard about your brother passing away, sorry for your loss Yoshi.